David Bowie San Francisco 73 Tuten

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:55 pm

This topic is dedicated to: David Bowie San Francisco 73 Tuten

sj77baker
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:55 pm

This poster is from 1972
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Flo and Eddie :lol:
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Flo & Eddie... The Turtles... Frank Zappa. Yes!
I don't think I've ever seen this poster. Sweet!
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
belltown
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Yes, 1972. I was in high school when tickets for this show went on sale. Me and my pals in Marin were in this Grateful Dead bubble at the time, so Bowie seemed like such a joke. Apparently a lot of other people thought so, too, because I think they only sold 800 or so tickets to each, or both, shows. The DJs on KSAN even joked about it, or maybe it was a jab in Herb Caen's column (can't remember). Later, I read that Bowie was so mortified, he didn't play SF again for years. Of course now, looking back on it, we were idiotic not to have gone.
MarcE
New User

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:34 pm

I was at that show. It was very odd. I was a Freshman at Stanford. I was originally from LA. I was a huge fan and he was really big in LA already, thanks to Rodney Bingenheimer and KROQ if my memory serves me well. I think he probably sold out the Santa Monica Civic on that tour if I am not mistaken. ( about 2500 people). But I bet the crowd size was around 500 for the Ziggy Stardust tour at the Bill Graham's Winterland. But here is the interesting forgotten fact about this show. The stage at Winterland was about ten feet above the floor. Flo and Eddie were the openers and they were basically the Turtles. The Turtles had two huge hits in the late 60s or early 70s . "Happy Together" and "She'd rather be with me". Towards the end of their short set Eddie introduces the next song by saying, "And now we are going to play our biggest hit"
Flo, who is about 350 pounds, has his back to the audience and as he swings around to strum the first notes on his guitar, he swung a little too far and went flying off the stage. I was almost alone in the balcony having just gone up there to smoke a joint, and it was surreal to me as he went flying through the air and the crowd rather than trying to cushion the fall of the truly huge man parted and let he and his guitar slam onto the hard surface below. I cannot find any stories about that on Google. I actually thought he broke his back, but at the very least the set was over and he was carted off on a stretcher.