Jaws 13 Durieux

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Osumtt21

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:17 am

finally back
johndillenger
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Osumtt21 wrote:finally back
Well done :clap:
natepachl
Art Expert

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Osumtt21 wrote:finally back
Beautiful
I wouldn't deal with JakeStanley / eBay user fratdaddyjake
jkw3000
EB Team

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:06 pm

I was reading Justin and Olly talking about print stuff on io9 from a while back, I think, and Justin brought up how difficult it would be to make a Jaws print because it's ALWAYS going to be about the shark. Yes, Jaws is about the shark, but great films tend to have more than one key element dominate it completely...Star Wars doesn't always have to feature Darth Vader, Psycho doesn't always have to have the motel, etc. Heck, the shark doesn't even show up until the end.

To be able to make a print about a shark movie, without the print itself being about the shark, while simultaneously hinting the shark the way Durieux did is, to me at least, an insane coup. I mean, I respect Jaws but it's not my favorite Spielberg...yet I'm kicking myself for not trying to get this at the drop. And as somebody pointed out already, it's great as a mass appeal piece - I showed it to my wife and even she loved it, and she hates sharks.

Though I'd venture a guess to the secondary market price also being affected by the whole "Spielberg bought a bunch of these himself" factor.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
apruski03
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:24 pm

jkw3000 wrote:I was reading Justin and Olly talking about print stuff on io9 from a while back, I think, and Justin brought up how difficult it would be to make a Jaws print because it's ALWAYS going to be about the shark. Yes, Jaws is about the shark, but great films tend to have more than one key element dominate it completely...Star Wars doesn't always have to feature Darth Vader, Psycho doesn't always have to have the motel, etc. Heck, the shark doesn't even show up until the end.

To be able to make a print about a shark movie, without the print itself being about the shark, while simultaneously hinting the shark the way Durieux did is, to me at least, an insane coup. I mean, I respect Jaws but it's not my favorite Spielberg...yet I'm kicking myself for not trying to get this at the drop. And as somebody pointed out already, it's great as a mass appeal piece - I showed it to my wife and even she loved it, and she hates sharks.

Though I'd venture a guess to the secondary market price also being affected by the whole "Spielberg bought a bunch of these himself" factor.
I agree and disagree at the same time. I mean it would be like making a Halloween print of a costume store with the michael myers mask hidden in some corner.

Or a LOTR print that shows Gollum before he turned into a creature and nothing more.

I mean it's a cool idea, and perhaps clever, but it doesn't capture the essence of the movie which is a thriller about a man-eating shark and the people trying to catch it.

Making a print that shows just a nice day at the beach with a "Highlights for Children" hidden picture shark fin in it is cool in a sort of gimmicky way but if I was a huge Jaws fan I don't think I'd be satisfied with it.

I recently picked up Taylor's Jurassic Park print and while having a dinosaur on it is obvious, it's obvious for a reason. I love Jurassic Park and if the print would have been that was an in-depth DNA Cell with Jurassic Park on it I never would have wanted it. Sure DNA has a lot to do with the movie, but it doesn't capture the essence of the movie at all.

I appreciate what the artist here tried to do and what he was going for but it just doesn't do anything for me.
xenmate
Art Expert

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:45 pm

apruski03 wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:I was reading Justin and Olly talking about print stuff on io9 from a while back, I think, and Justin brought up how difficult it would be to make a Jaws print because it's ALWAYS going to be about the shark. Yes, Jaws is about the shark, but great films tend to have more than one key element dominate it completely...Star Wars doesn't always have to feature Darth Vader, Psycho doesn't always have to have the motel, etc. Heck, the shark doesn't even show up until the end.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I mean it would be like making a Halloween print of a costume store with the michael myers mask hidden in some corner.

Or a LOTR print that shows Gollum before he turned into a creature and nothing more.

I mean it's a cool idea, and perhaps clever, but it doesn't capture the essence of the movie which is a thriller about a man-eating shark and the people trying to catch it.

Making a print that shows just a nice day at the beach with a "Highlights for Children" hidden picture shark fin in it is cool in a sort of gimmicky way but if I was a huge Jaws fan I don't think I'd be satisfied with it.

I recently picked up Taylor's Jurassic Park print and while having a dinosaur on it is obvious, it's obvious for a reason. I love Jurassic Park and if the print would have been that was an in-depth DNA Cell with Jurassic Park on it I never would have wanted it. Sure DNA has a lot to do with the movie, but it doesn't capture the essence of the movie at all.

I appreciate what the artist here tried to do and what he was going for but it just doesn't do anything for me.
If I could disagree more with you I'd probably break my keyboard. What makes JAWS great as a movie isn't the shark, but the menace the shark poses, the build-up in suspense, the bits without the shark. The print illustrates this beautifully. Everything looks amazing in the scene, but there is this dark menace hidden right there in front of your eyes about to spoil everyone's day. It's brilliant.
apruski03
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:53 pm

xenmate wrote:
apruski03 wrote:

If I could disagree more with you I'd probably break my keyboard. What makes JAWS great as a movie isn't the shark, but the menace the shark poses, the build-up in suspense, the bits without the shark. The print illustrates this beautifully. Everything looks amazing in the scene, but there is this dark menace hidden right there in front of your eyes about to spoil everyone's day. It's brilliant.

Well don't break your keyboard! Just a couple of differing opinions!

And I agree the build up is what makes Jaws great, same with most classic horror/thriller movies it is usually what isn't shown which is more scary.

This print just doesn't do that for me. I get the shark fin is directly in the middle, but there's just nothing even remotely ominous looking about it to me.

Again, different tastes for different people, sometimes I just feel like artists try too hard to be different or unique when that doesn't always work.
Osumtt21

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:25 pm

I dont think its supposed to look ominous. I think its supposed to be the calm before the storm. The just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.
xenmate
Art Expert

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Osumtt21 wrote:I dont think its supposed to look ominous. I think its supposed to be the calm before the storm. The just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.
om·i·nous (m-ns)
adj.
1. Menacing; threatening: ominous black clouds; ominous rumblings of discontent.
2. Of or being an omen, especially an evil one.
apruski03
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Osumtt21 wrote:I dont think its supposed to look ominous. I think its supposed to be the calm before the storm. The just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.
Yeah, and I've got no problem with, just isn't my thing. It's interesting to discuss though why people love it or don't like it. It's fun discussing art and there's certainly no disrespect meant to anyone who like this print!
Osumtt21

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Yeah i said calm...not anything manacing or if prophetic significance. calm and menacing are not synonyms
Osumtt21

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:30 pm

now if the shark was in the water that would be ominous.
rubberneck
Art God

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:48 pm

I like the pretty ones...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
alison03
Art Expert

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:25 pm

xenmate wrote:
apruski03 wrote:

That's what's brilliant about it for me as well. It doesn't need to be in your face ominous. We, the audience, don't need a shark in the poster to *know* what is coming. Like we know the movie well and know that this is not going to be a good time for them. :lol: The people in the idyllic snapshot don't know the fear and chaos they are about to experience (as emphasized by the tag) and that's what's scariest to me.
Nicodemus317
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:59 pm

anyone have any other framing examples? I'm bringing mine to the framer this weekend, thinking pale wood frame and a single white (or beige?) Mat. Any thoughts?