The Lord of the Rings 12 Moss

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:34 am

jimbobiii wrote:I think this one is going to be interesting and potentially buck the current trends (high prices at drop, cooling off quickly).

Firstly, you've already had 10% of the run sell on the second market at inflated prices, and the lowest price paid each day has gone up each day on the regular. Top that off with only about 24 of these on the bay right now.

Right now:

8 regulars for sale (1.3% of the run) / 59 sold (10.2% of the run)
14 variants for sale (5% of the run) / 25 sold (8.8% of the run)
2 sets for sale / 2 sets sold

We also have a recent Moss example (from a somewhat similar property in terms of popularity/desirability), the Bride:
Currently:
23 for sale (4.7% of the run) / 65 sold (13.5% of the run)

Now, there are many factors at play here. Bride has been available for four weeks, and has been in-hand. This certainly isn't Star Wars, where nearly 20% of the run had flipped in the first five days (80 sales, with prices escalating). In the first 5 days, the Bride only sold about 7.7% of its run and on that 5th day, it recorded a new low. The Bride follows recent patterns.

So the Bride feels a little bit closer to the variant than the regular, but even that doesn't entirely line up.

So why has the regular had a higher velocity? A few ideas:
-Easier to buy (more flippers got them)
-Cheaper (more LOTR fans, who just want one to frame, went for the cheapest ones)
-Regular > Variant from an aesthetic point of view (at least, in the majorities' eyes).

The prices are also interesting, as the variant has seemed pretty stable, while the regular is rising a little bit, or at least having the floor on its prices rise.

The low supply of regulars (will this change with it shipping?), and the fact that prices haven't come down at all since drop day (and have gone up on the regular) do seem to imply that this will not follow the recent trendlines, and that this piece may be one of the view that holds its place and value, or perhaps even goes up. I actually wonder if the regulars drying up here may be what forces the variant prices up, rather than any particular demand for the var.

definitely a fascinating print to watch given the recent trends, the artist, and the subject matter.
Are you in Finance or IT?

Good analysis though. It's helping that there's a new movie out. Also helps that these prints are for the earlier LOTR movies, which most people seem to be preferring over The Hobbit, so there's a bit of nostalgia going on here too.
jimbobiii
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:29 pm

thekharmainitiative wrote:
jimbobiii wrote:I think this one is going to be interesting and potentially buck the current trends (high prices at drop, cooling off quickly).

Firstly, you've already had 10% of the run sell on the second market at inflated prices, and the lowest price paid each day has gone up each day on the regular. Top that off with only about 24 of these on the bay right now.

Right now:

8 regulars for sale (1.3% of the run) / 59 sold (10.2% of the run)
14 variants for sale (5% of the run) / 25 sold (8.8% of the run)
2 sets for sale / 2 sets sold

We also have a recent Moss example (from a somewhat similar property in terms of popularity/desirability), the Bride:
Currently:
23 for sale (4.7% of the run) / 65 sold (13.5% of the run)

Now, there are many factors at play here. Bride has been available for four weeks, and has been in-hand. This certainly isn't Star Wars, where nearly 20% of the run had flipped in the first five days (80 sales, with prices escalating). In the first 5 days, the Bride only sold about 7.7% of its run and on that 5th day, it recorded a new low. The Bride follows recent patterns.

So the Bride feels a little bit closer to the variant than the regular, but even that doesn't entirely line up.

So why has the regular had a higher velocity? A few ideas:
-Easier to buy (more flippers got them)
-Cheaper (more LOTR fans, who just want one to frame, went for the cheapest ones)
-Regular > Variant from an aesthetic point of view (at least, in the majorities' eyes).

The prices are also interesting, as the variant has seemed pretty stable, while the regular is rising a little bit, or at least having the floor on its prices rise.

The low supply of regulars (will this change with it shipping?), and the fact that prices haven't come down at all since drop day (and have gone up on the regular) do seem to imply that this will not follow the recent trendlines, and that this piece may be one of the view that holds its place and value, or perhaps even goes up. I actually wonder if the regulars drying up here may be what forces the variant prices up, rather than any particular demand for the var.

definitely a fascinating print to watch given the recent trends, the artist, and the subject matter.
Are you in Finance or IT?

Good analysis though. It's helping that there's a new movie out. Also helps that these prints are for the earlier LOTR movies, which most people seem to be preferring over The Hobbit, so there's a bit of nostalgia going on here too.
hah, neither. Outreach (marketing / pr / social / community) --- though my degree is in business mngt and computer science, so I've covered both the finance and technical areas in school (and both have been highly useful in my job).

The Hobbit is definitely helping. You have to assume the non-poster-folk who are interested in this poster are riled up because of it. Furthermore, one would have to think that they will continue to be a high-state given that we still have two movies to go, which could continue to prop demand up while the supply is high (meaning you might never really see a "slump").

It'll be interesting to watch this over next couple of weeks, The combination of 700+ prints getting in-hand along with the holidays should make for some interesting sales / listings
agzaker
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Its great you guys are talking about the art as opposed to money making potential :roll: :roll:
jimbobiii
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:50 pm

agzaker wrote:Its great you guys are talking about the art as opposed to money making potential :roll: :roll:
I guess it's impossible for people to be fascinated by economics without also being evil flippers, amirite?
tehhippy
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:59 pm

jimbobiii wrote:
agzaker wrote:Its great you guys are talking about the art as opposed to money making potential :roll: :roll:
I guess it's impossible for people to be fascinated by economics without also being evil flippers, amirite?
More an analysis around the demand than pure economics/profitability. It's interesting.
mobius006
Art Freak

Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:26 pm

tehhippy wrote:
jimbobiii wrote:
More an analysis around the demand than pure economics/profitability. It's interesting.
It's well done and good to have here. Great to look back at it later then lost in some mondo thread as well :roll:
billyjorge
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Don't know if this has been posted but I found it interesting. check the top of the furthest package on the right, exactly same as bottom of Moss print.
agzaker
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:11 pm

billyjorge wrote:Don't know if this has been posted but I found it interesting. check the top of the furthest package on the right, exactly same as bottom of Moss print.
:shock: :shock:
mobius006
Art Freak

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:14 pm

billyjorge wrote:Don't know if this has been posted but I found it interesting. check the top of the furthest package on the right, exactly same as bottom of Moss print.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Celsius
Flipper

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:19 pm

A nice homage. Not a lifting of the assets. Poses are different.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
badlieut
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:21 pm

A little different
billyjorge
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Celsius wrote:A nice homage. Not a lifting of the assets. Poses are different.
You are right about the poses, misspoke when I said exactly, but close.
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:35 pm

haha, it's great you are complaining about us as opposed to talking about the art :P :wink:
dlazarow
Art Expert

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:39 am

Wow that economic analysis was really intriguing. I'm actually considering snagging a set as soon as possible even though the prices are through the roof. I actually don't know if/when this one will go down if at all.
Even Stout RD has held value so far. Seems Stout Tarantino and Moss on a hot hugely popular fanbase property are sure things to maintain and raise value. I'm worried I'm going to eat my words and LOTR will drop the way Mononoke did. I'm very sad that Mononoke lost so much value, esp given how well Totoro has done. I wonder what the long term on that one will be. The LOTR will probably outshine both of those in the long run though, just due to the universal fanboy - I mean fanbase it has. I actually think this is the best LOTR piece from an artistic standpoint that Mondo has produced. Olly nailed it. Definitely my top ISO right now and will end up framed on the wall...
"A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for."
― Albert Einstein
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danlazarow
http://www.danimation-inc.com
http://www.vimeo.com/danlazarow