Off to See the Wizard 12 Durieux

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:08 pm

BetterCallSaul wrote:I still do not understand why this print is not worth more in the aftermarket. I have a variant framed up and it is one of my favorite prints. I bet if it came from mondo prices would be higher.
I feel like this is one of those "in due time" prints. Laurent is only getting more popular, it's an iconic film, has a low print run, and of course, the art is fantastic.

I'm expecting an exponential curve on this print with time. Bottleneck still doesn't have a ton of exposure, but as Durieux continues to pump out prints, these will catch the eyes of lots of folks who missed it from the start.

Or... I could be completely wrong. Either way, I love my reg, it'll be framed soon.
Count
Art Expert

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 pm

mafurman wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:I still do not understand why this print is not worth more in the aftermarket. I have a variant framed up and it is one of my favorite prints. I bet if it came from mondo prices would be higher.
There is little doubt of that. It is a terrific print.
I am in complete agreement. There are so many things I love about this print - the subject matter (its OZ!), the colors, the composition, the typography, the hidden witch at the top left corner, etc. Most importantly, this is a very wall-friendly print. No knives, zombies, blood and what not. It is also not a movie poster, which I like because I really do not want movie posters hanging all over my house (I try to keep such posters in the home theater).

I just had mine framed and it looks amazing. Even my wife, who was initially skeptical, was in awe. This one is a keeper. Will try to post pictures of the framed Oz when I have the time.
Boognish23
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Count wrote:
bigcurl254 wrote:Wow, Laurent Durieux sure does charge a lot for his signature.
At least his OZ AP is much cheaper than his Iron Giant AP, which is selling for $300.
I just got my OZ AP variant that I bought off his website. Im flattening it at the moment, but had a quick look at it to see what number I got and the signature, but I couldn't find either... I couldn't even find an AP marking? Just wondering if anyone else got the AP version where the numbering/signature is on the print. Thanks
bkboy77
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 pm

is that why the print is much cheaper. crazy to get an AP without any markings.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
johndillenger
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Boognish23 wrote:
Count wrote:
bigcurl254 wrote:Wow, Laurent Durieux sure does charge a lot for his signature.
At least his OZ AP is much cheaper than his Iron Giant AP, which is selling for $300.
I just got my OZ AP variant that I bought off his website. Im flattening it at the moment, but had a quick look at it to see what number I got and the signature, but I couldn't find either... I couldn't even find an AP marking? Just wondering if anyone else got the AP version where the numbering/signature is on the print. Thanks
I might check with Laurent, especially about the no signature. I know that the Jaws AP's were signed, but they were not numbered. Instead they just have "AP" written in the left corner. it also sounds like the Metropolis AP's will come signed, and numbered with "roman numerals". So there is obviously some variation in how he is doing things I suppose. Still, one would imagine the OZ AP's would at least be signed...
Jimjammer
Art Enthusiast

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 pm

My OZ AP variant is signed on the bottom right.
Boognish23
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 am

Jimjammer wrote:My OZ AP variant is signed on the bottom right.
Thanks, I'll have another look at the bottom right corner once its finished flattening
Count
Art Expert

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:22 am

This was posted in the Laurent Durieux appreciation thread earlier this year:
Jackpupucon wrote:
biscocrack420 wrote:
Jackpupucon wrote:
Count wrote:Anyone knows if Laurent's APs are numbered?
Hi Count,

AP's aren't supposed to be numbered. cheers, Jack
APs should be numbered. Some artists just don't do it.
Duly noted, Laurent will number his AP´s from now on. With roman figures mind you! Cheers, J
Since then, Laurent has been numbering his APs. Probably from The Master onwards.
Boognish23
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Boognish23 wrote:
Jimjammer wrote:My OZ AP variant is signed on the bottom right.
Thanks, I'll have another look at the bottom right corner once its finished flattening
Definitely no signature and no numbering on my OZ AP Variant. Are you able to post a pic of the signature from your OZ AP Variant just in case I have somehow missed it...
dfunk24
Art Enthusiast

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Nightmare averted!

I purchased the GID A/P from Laurent a while back. The shipping tube arrived at my door looking like it had been run over by a Sherman tank. It was crushed with enough force to cause one STAPLED plastic end cap to pop off completely! Needless to say, there was little doubt as to the condition of the poster that remained inside. Unfortunately, I had purchased the last of the 11 A/P's, so there was no replacement available.

After a few e-mails back and forth, Laurent told me he'd send me his personal copy (!). Well, it arrived today in perfect condition, AND with a ruby slipper remarque thrown in for the extra troubles!

Laurent and his brother Jack are great to deal with. Their efforts to satisfy this customer went above and beyond the norm.

Great artist, terrific guys! Buy their stuff!!
DickButt
Art Expert

Sun May 12, 2013 9:02 pm

dfunk24 wrote:Nightmare averted!

I purchased the GID A/P from Laurent a while back. The shipping tube arrived at my door looking like it had been run over by a Sherman tank. It was crushed with enough force to cause one STAPLED plastic end cap to pop off completely! Needless to say, there was little doubt as to the condition of the poster that remained inside. Unfortunately, I had purchased the last of the 11 A/P's, so there was no replacement available.

After a few e-mails back and forth, Laurent told me he'd send me his personal copy (!). Well, it arrived today in perfect condition, AND with a ruby slipper remarque thrown in for the extra troubles!

Laurent and his brother Jack are great to deal with. Their efforts to satisfy this customer went above and beyond the norm.

Great artist, terrific guys! Buy their stuff!!
That's customer service right there
automator
Nobody

Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:11 pm

New image Off to See the Wizard 12 Durieux
Litho Edition

automator
Nobody

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:25 pm

New image Off to See the Wizard 12 Durieux - Variant AP Remarque