Lifted II 12 Keyes

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Is this a "Water for Elephants" movie reference?

Or just a general reference to the whole circus and animal captivity thing?
Rebafeind
Art Expert

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:04 pm

i think the image is killer and will reserve judgement (till i see lifted II in person) regarding which image i prefer this vs Sirens.
tranito
Art Expert

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:22 pm

guryter wrote:
tranito wrote:What's the story/meaning behind the ''Lifted'' series?
He wrote a pretty badass explanation regarding lifted 1, involving his girlfriend and him needed to be lifted up out of the darkness if I remember correctly. Might have been in juxtapose, probably copy/pasta'd to the lifted comment thread.
Thanks, it helps. I didn't find the quote though, so if someone has it, feel free to link or copy it here.
It makes sense for the first Lifted, but I wish I could make more meaning out of this particular image.
I like the positive vibe it has. Lots of Keyes have an urgency feel in some sort of unsettling situations. This one is like overcoming the dark moments life brings and feeling good about it. Could be the spot where he and his girlfriend found themselves after some harder times.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
tranito
Art Expert

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:28 pm

mattlew69 wrote:Is this a "Water for Elephants" movie reference?

Or just a general reference to the whole circus and animal captivity thing?
The whole circus/animal captivity thing looks like a good thematic metaphor to represent how we can feel caught up as humans in lots of situations, maybe relationships, where we might suffocate and feel like we lost our freedom. I like to see Exodus as the transition in which the protagonists are walking towards something better and Lifted II as the end result of feeling accomplished, free, sane again.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:29 pm

TheEhTeam wrote:Isn't Josh diagnosed with depression or bi-polar? I remember reading something like that somewhere. Anyone
http://arrestedmotion.com/2010/10/inter ... h-gallery/
tranito
Art Expert

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:40 am

db23 wrote:how is this not one of Keyes' strongest prints? i think this is the strongest since Lifted I. i know it's all personal opinion but i'm in love with this imagery.
canuck wrote:I am confused. The anti-hype is strong with this one. This image must be a keeper.
I think how the release went down explains a lot. It seemed very smooth at first, almost ''easy'' for a lot of people. That leaves people who missed more butthurt about their fail than a release where you can relate to loads of people reporting how it was impossible to get. Then we learn later on it wasn't that easy with the oversell. Lots of refunds. More butthurt people who thought had one, but didn't. Butthurt people get over it and won't waste time anti-hyping a release they missed unless they truly care for an image. This obviously doesn't leave people indifferent and is a very strong Keyes composition and a pleasant image to look at. Wall friendly too.

It's funny how Lifted II drew lots of comparisons on which one is better with Sirens. Little discussion though on which one is better with Exodus (which would make more sense, same exhibit/circus theme), nor with Lifted I (same series and concept).
Speaks about how people want to see it drop in value (like Sirens did) to snag it later on, leaving Exodus and Lifted I (both small run and high value) out of the which one is better discussion.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:50 am

tranito wrote:
db23 wrote:how is this not one of Keyes' strongest prints? i think this is the strongest since Lifted I. i know it's all personal opinion but i'm in love with this imagery.
canuck wrote:I am confused. The anti-hype is strong with this one. This image must be a keeper.
I think how the release went down explains a lot. It seemed very smooth at first, almost ''easy'' for a lot of people. That leaves people who missed more butthurt about their fail than a release where you can relate to loads of people reporting how it was impossible to get. Then we learn later on it wasn't that easy with the oversell. Lots of refunds. More butthurt people who thought had one, but didn't. Butthurt people get over it and won't waste time anti-hyping a release they missed unless they truly care for an image. This obviously doesn't leave people indifferent and is a very strong Keyes composition and a pleasant image to look at. Wall friendly too.

It's funny how Lifted II drew lots of comparisons on which one is better with Sirens. Little discussion though on which one is better with Exodus (which would make more sense, same exhibit/circus theme), nor with Lifted I (same series and concept).
Speaks about how people want to see it drop in value (like Sirens did) to snag it later on, leaving Exodus and Lifted I (both small run and high value) out of the which one is better discussion.
I think you give more credit to people than they deserve
With over 33% of the run already on sale I think it's pretty obvious why many bought this print and it isn't because of the image
tranito
Art Expert

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Worst than that for the butthurt. Refunded people who really wanted a print to keep are now people ISO, driving the demand for the print. Refunded people who were in for the flip see their copy totally disappear from the market, diminishing also the availability/offer and the initial undercutting. Prices stabilize. The initial slump in value is not as expected.
Butthurt people are even more butthurt.
The butthurt cycle is a vicious one.

For the record pvecchi, over 33% would be 50+, I don't see anything close to that, but anyway, that's not the point if people bought to flip or not.
This is the story of the butthurt and a refunded person can be butthurt because he lost a print he wanted on his wall, but he can also be butthurt because he lost the profit he was already smelling from his flip. The anti-hype observation was a good one and it deserved a little bit of insight. Has little to do with the % of people flipping or not.
Blackheart
Art Expert

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Not my favorite but I still really like it...
I have spent 90% of my money on women and wine..........the rest i wasted.
alittle
Art Freak

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:23 pm

tranito, the reason why the comparisons are drawn to Sirens is because it is the same run size. Exodous and Lifted I have runs that are 1/3 the size.
tranito
Art Expert

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm making a distinction between a comparison based on which image is better (run size is irrelevant to do so) and a comparison made to speculate on future value (run size is mandatory). I'm saying they act as if they make the former, but use the run size basis (for the latter type of comparison), so really only are wanting to speculate on the value and serve their need of seeing the print value decline.

If the goal was really to discuss the better image, the comparison would be made just as much (if not even more, since the relevancy of circus theme and Lifted series) with Exodus and Lifted I. Not the case. That was my butthurt behavioral point I was trying to make.
Last edited by tranito on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittle
Art Freak

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Better image is subjective. Personally, I'd rather hang Sirens than Lifted II.
tranito
Art Expert

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:50 pm

You did it again.
Image wise, it's more interesting to hear the ''I prefer'' comparison with Exodus and Lifted I. But people seem to be avoiding it or at least targeting the Sirens comparison for personal value purposes.

And to back it up..
alittle wrote:I think it'll go even lower (value), like Sirens did.
alittle
Art Freak

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 pm

If people liked Lifted II just as much as Exodus or Lifted I, what would it matter? They would never be valued the same on the market because the supply of Exodus and Lifted I is a third the size of Lifted II. As none of the images being discussed are particularly weak, edition size is the most relevant determination of projected market price.
tranito
Art Expert

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:02 pm

alittle wrote:If people liked Lifted II just as much as Exodus or Lifted I, what would it matter?
It's called Art Discussion. Some people on the site find it interesting too (no offense to the speculation/value discussion).