Lord Of The Rings 12 Zouravliov

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
frieddumpling
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:09 pm

soleblazer wrote:I really dig the illustration here. Are they ever going to do a real poster, with maybe some of the main characters in it?

:shock:
deancc
Art Expert

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:02 am

RobJones wrote:We offered Vania pretty much anything he wanted to do from the entirety of the trilogy, and his first choice was Arwen. The Evenstar pendent is among the objects in the lower right corner of the poster (the poster's "right" so the side with Liv Tyler on it). If you're questioning what's depicted on the poster, then I'd remind you of Elrond's warning of what awaits Arwen should she choose to stay in Middle-earth.
i love this take on LotR. so nice to have artists like Vania around who don't just spoonfeed an audience with the most obvious characters or scenes. not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, but seeing posters like this is very refreshing.

... and it's damn beautiful.
Stingers
Art Expert

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:14 am

Well said Dean ! Pretty much all my favourite art is challenging in some way . Who can be happy with everything being spelt out 24/7 .
scumbugg
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:53 pm

It must be hard for an artist to break the mold when interpreting an already visual medium. I think this poster brings something new to the film quite beautifully. I'll take this any day over stacks of floating heads.
crosshair
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:31 pm

rmoore wrote:It's too bad Arwen played such a small role in the books for her to be such a prominent part of the image. Oh well, it's a movie poster I guess, not a book poster. Still looks dame fine.
She's not obviously a huge deal in the 3 LOTR books or even in the movie, but in the broader legandarium (Silmarillion plus loads of other writings) the story of Aragorn and Arwen is very significant.

Elrond (Arwen's father) and his brother Elros were 'half-elven', in the sense that each of their parents Earendil and Elwing was the product of a unique union of mortal Man and immortal Eldar...and on mom's side there was even divine blood via Luthien Tinuviel, who's mother was one of the Maiar (as was Gandalf...) Aragorn makes a cryptic reference to Tinuviel in the Fellowship movie; look for it.

At the end of the First Age, when the Host of Valinor defeated Morgoth, Elrond and Elros were given the choice of immortality with inevitable fading (like elves) or mortality (like men.) Elrond chose immortality, so there he is thousands of years later hanging around in Middle Earth as the elves dwindle. Elros chose mortality, and when the Valar created Numenor as a home for the Edain (the few good men who resisted Morgoth) he became the first king of the Numenoreans. Aragorn is his descendent, and as one of the Dunedain still has Elvish and Divine blood. The union of Aragorn and Arwen at the end of the Third Age represents the reunion of the two lines of the half-elven, and symbolizes the end of the time of the Eldar and the beginning of the dominion of Man.

whew.
Anyway, I think it's clear that the artist here is a fan of the mythology as a whole, and not just the movies or the 3 LOTR books. And that's cool.
Stingers
Art Expert

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:46 pm

:clap:
RiotAct
EB Trainee

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:54 pm

::pushes glasses up on nose, while breathing through mouth::
1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.
binky79
Art Expert

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:55 pm

The only thing I don't like is the name. If the print is for Arwen, why call it "Lord of the Rings"? "Evenstar", "Evening Star", or even just "Arwen" would have been a better title.
downtown
Art Expert

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:50 pm

scumbugg wrote: I think this poster brings something new to the film quite beautifully. I'll take this any day over stacks of floating heads.
deancc
Art Expert

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:22 am

from Mondo - The Blog:

Vania Zouravliov’s THE LORD OF THE RINGS Detail Shots

Vania Zouravliov is amazing. We’re extremely proud of how his poster for THE LORD OF THE RINGS turned out and we wanted to give you guys a closer look at the insane detail he puts into his illustrations as jpegs simply do not do these justice. Enjoy!

Stingers
Art Expert

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:09 pm

Thanks Dean , looking great !
RiotAct
EB Trainee

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Um yeah that's gorgeous
1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.
busywithbeans
Art Enthusiast

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:00 pm

anyone have hi-res shots of the other two colors? trying to decide which one i want to buy. thanks!
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Get em while they are cheap on ebay. Once people see these in person they might want to hang onto them.

I am not a huge fan of LOTR, but this illustration looks great. I cant wait to dive into the details and pick it apart.
busywithbeans
Art Enthusiast

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:31 pm

mattlew69 wrote:Get em while they are cheap on ebay. Once people see these in person they might want to hang onto them.

I am not a huge fan of LOTR, but this illustration looks great. I cant wait to dive into the details and pick it apart.
i know, that's why i'm trying to buy one soon. need to see how the other colors look first though!