AOR 3.1 Woodstock 69 Skolnick

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:11 am

I never saw this thread before, so I'm happy that woody's post revived it. I bought a small version from Cushway many years ago. I also bought a 2nd edition from him. It's amazing to me how different the colors are when comparing 3.1 to 3.1-2. I need to take a close look again tonight, based on the earlier posts.

I'm embarrased to say I chose to pass on going to the festival because of the rain forecast. Several of my friends drove up from Central Pa. It wasn't that big of a deal to me at the time, because I had seen most of the bands in concert already.

Anyway, none of my friends said anything about posters being for sale. I've often thought about the whole situation with posters and the weather, and my gut tells me that if these were in fact sold at the merch booths at the site, most would not have made it out alive. They didn't tube things like this at the time, and virtually everything was soaked to the bone by the rain. Combine this with the fact that poster collecting wasn't anything like it has since become, it' would surprise me if any significant quantity of these would exist if they were only sold at the festival.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
yanxrul
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:30 am

I also bought the smaller version from art rock in 1987 for $ 250 - I have receipt still.

Mine also came with a letter from Skolnick authenticating it. The smaller ones are supposedly rarer.

If you read the previous post by Mike on how to detect originals, u will see that they are 100 pct correct with respect to the 18x 24 size.

I'm curious if Woody finds a real one! It blows my mind how many are selling on ebay for 125 bucks - surely boots.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:46 am

I think it was 1991 when I bought mine. I paid a lot more than $250, and if my memory serves me correctly, it was the last small one Phil had, or very close to the last one. I talked to him on the phone at the time to finalize the purchase, and I distinctly remember him saying the small one was much rarer than the large one. We were talking, of course, only about the originals. I think the small 3.1-2 was going for about $100 at the time. It was when Art Rock published their quarterly flyer. Many of the small 3.1-2's were signed by Grace & wavy and a few others.

There was also another "version" of the poster that Art Rock sold a bit later in the 90's (or maybe it was in the early 2000's). It was a handbill. Same image, but was only 11.5" x 14.5". I have it labelled as 3.1-HB in my records. I picked up a couple of those at Phil's store on Folsom St. I've never read or heard anything about that version. Does anyone know anything? I don't know if it's an offset or litho, or how many were printed, etc.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
yanxrul
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 pm

I believe the second print poster which was signed by various artists was done in a 10,000 print edition by artrock years ago. I see them on EBAY from time to time.
I dont know how many were signed but ten thousand signatures seems like alot of writing for anyone so maybe the signed version while it says a # out of 10k was smaller.
I have also seen signed second prints that weren't numbered . Not sure about those but they look like the artrock version

I don't know anything about the handbill version.

I know there is a ticket request purple handbill which I have and brought to the Wavy Gravy film opening in the Village last month and he signed it which was cool.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:25 pm

That purple ticket request flyer (I think it was a tri-fold sheet of paper that ended up being 6-sided after folding) went for a few hundred bucks several years ago. It's a nice piece of memorabilia even if it was unsigned. Nice!
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:45 pm

My small edition is an original, which I was confident about since I bought it direct from Phil. Anyway, it's always nice to get independent confirmation. Mine has the vertical black 'tick' mark at the very top. It's a little more than 1.5" in from the left edge.
dodaniel
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:20 pm

The small handbill version was published by Cushway in the late 90's. They are nice but there are a lot of them. Usually sell for 20 bucks.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks, David. I figured he made lots of them, but I've never seen any on EB or eBay.
I assume they're offsets. Do you know?
dodaniel
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:08 pm

Yeah those are offset.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks!
automator
Nobody

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:22 pm

New image AOR 3.1 Woodstock 69 Skolnick - OP-1 S&N

hogie777
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Just snagged a large version of one of these on the bay for $150. Not the best condition but still thought it was a good deal as many of the problems can be matted/framed out. My only question is - is it real? It certainly looks real and seems to have the imperfections talked about in this thread.
“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams” - Willy Wonka
summoner
Art Freak

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:36 pm

My GFs dad has one of these that he pulled off a phone pole as he was leaving Woodstock. He had it stored in a storage unit, that was recently broken in to... Family pictures were taken, but this poster was left. I don't know the condition yet, but he does want to get it framed up, but is pretty adamant that he does not want it restored. He wanted to keep it in the same condition that it was in when it took it down off the pole.
Image Image Image
hogie777
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Yeah I don't think I will restore mine either. I think the age & damage is just part of the story.
“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams” - Willy Wonka
FinalKickstand
Art Expert

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:30 pm

I know it's a long shot but can anyone help me out with what's here? The pics are not great and it's framed and matted to make it even more difficult to tell but I'm hoping the signature can tell us something...legit? Worth anything? It says measurements are 23.5 x 31.5 Not sure if that'd make it the 18 x 24 or the 22 x 30. Any help is greatly appreciated!
ISO an avatar