Update: February 1, 2024: EB Art of the Year Fiasco and New Team Members

Official Expresso Beans Art News.
Monolithic

Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:51 am

wi22azor wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:05 pm
What morons voted for a video game poster for concert poster of the year and for Art Print of the Year?
OT: Bluey should've won everything, just to see the salt flow.
Last edited by Monolithic on Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:52 am

GamePrintRepeat wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:19 am
Thought it just said poster of the year
It's an art print not a poster. See the submission notes for what a poster is considered on this site. Let me guess, you've never added art to the site.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ManOfSteel
Art Enthusiast

Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:57 am

I'm sorry, but why is it not possible for Ghost of Tsushima to win in two categories? Is there a specific rule stating that "Art Print of the Year" must exclusively refer to gig posters? Can someone provide a clear definition of what constitutes an "Art Print"? The term seems quite broad and could encompass various genres and categories beyond music and gig posters.

In my view, there should be a distinct category for "Gig/Music Poster of the Year." Let's take this as a learning opportunity and strive to improve next year's awards rather than revisiting the current year's votes. It's akin to redoing the Oscars for Best Picture just because the public wasn't satisfied with the outcome.
Last edited by ManOfSteel on Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:59 am

Lol no it's not
KipPotapych
Art Expert

Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:19 pm

Clearly people do not believe that Bluey is actually in the third or fourth place or whatever it is in the poster of the year category, right? The same goes for this game poster at the first place.

I do not think it could be any more clear that there should be a bootleg category where the fine folks of these commissions can outvote each other not because they have good prints, but because “zomg!” It doesn’t make any sense to have it any other way.

Then, there should probably be a gig poster category, cinema, and art to avoid any confusion. If it is art based on cinema, it should be in the cinema category, regardless if there is a title or not, unless it is a bootleg. That makes it pretty clear and eliminates the confusion. In my opinion, of course.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:40 pm

Should also add must not be a noob (the category of user, not some cut on anyone) to vote. You shouldn't be able to just stroll up and brigade because someone asked you to. Participate on the site, then you get a vote.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:51 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Should also add must not be a noob (the category of user, not some cut on anyone) to vote. You shouldn't be able to just stroll up and brigade because someone asked you to. Participate on the site, then you get a vote.
this.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
ManOfSteel
Art Enthusiast

Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:11 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
That's a whole lot of effort, do we know how many "noobs" voted for Ghost of Tsushima and IF that's the case why didn't a bigger project/artist etc. win?
ManOfSteel
Art Enthusiast

Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:17 pm

KipPotapych wrote:
Clearly people do not believe that Bluey is actually in the third or fourth place or whatever it is in the poster of the year category, right? The same goes for this game poster at the first place.

I do not think it could be any more clear that there should be a bootleg category where the fine folks of these commissions can outvote each other not because they have good prints, but because “zomg!” It doesn’t make any sense to have it any other way.

Then, there should probably be a gig poster category, cinema, and art to avoid any confusion. If it is art based on cinema, it should be in the cinema category, regardless if there is a title or not, unless it is a bootleg. That makes it pretty clear and eliminates the confusion. In my opinion, of course.
I wouldn't object to that idea. Currently, things are somewhat ambiguous, and the rationale of "historically gig posters have won this category" doesn't fly with me. It suggests that the category lacks a defined set of criteria, and you're relying on past occurrences as a form of guidance.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:21 pm

ManOfSteel wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:57 am
I'm sorry, but why is it not possible for Ghost of Tsushima to win in two categories? Is there a specific rule stating that "Art Print of the Year" must exclusively refer to gig posters? Can someone provide a clear definition of what constitutes an "Art Print"? The term seems quite broad and could encompass various genres and categories beyond music and gig posters.

In my view, there should be a distinct category for "Gig/Music Poster of the Year." Let's take this as a learning opportunity and strive to improve next year's awards rather than revisiting the current year's votes. It's akin to redoing the Oscars for Best Picture just because the public wasn't satisfied with the outcome.
Yet another duke who appears to have likely contributed no art listings to the site. Let's deal in facts not feelings.

https://expressobeans.com/wiki/index.ph ... _Art_Guide
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:31 pm

ManOfSteel wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:17 pm
KipPotapych wrote:

I wouldn't object to that idea. Currently, things are somewhat ambiguous, and the rationale of "historically gig posters have won this category" doesn't fly with me. It suggests that the category lacks a defined set of criteria, and you're relying on past occurrences as a form of guidance.
It's only "historically" because that's literally the category for gig posters. Sheesh 🙄
KipPotapych
Art Expert

Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:38 pm

“Historically”, poster of the year category included all kinds of ish. For example:

But there was no cinema category at the time. Horkey clearly doesn’t belong there though because there was an art of the year category.

Since some have confusion about what a poster is and what it isn’t, there should be clear distinction among the categories and the category should be looked at by those who approve the listings before approving. Otherwise, we have what we have.

If any of it really matters.
jojobadass
Art God

Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:55 pm

I have some sweet Halo posters for sale
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:55 pm

KipPotapych wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:38 pm
“Historically”, poster of the year category included all kinds of ish. For example:

But there was no cinema category at the time. Horkey clearly doesn’t belong there though because there was an art of the year category.

Since some have confusion about what a poster is and what it isn’t, there should be clear distinction among the categories and the category should be looked at by those who approve the listings before approving. Otherwise, we have what we have.

If any of it really matters.
The next year it went to hell.
Our fishing hole was officially overrun by movie poster geeks.
In 2012 the cinema catagory was introduced.

Not sure what the damn point is if a poster is listed in more than one catagory.
What’s next? The same print winning all three?

Log me in.
I’ll fix this mess in 6 seconds.
Jesus.
wi22azor
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:05 pm

I think Last year (2022 awards) a print was removed from the 1st place spot in one of the categories because it was in the wrong category