Official Expresso Beans Art News.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:09 am

Monolithic wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:04 am
Browntrout wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:46 pm
Are we going to get an explanation what happened here or not? Not one member has defended POTY Ghost of Tsushima as a legitimate winner. Consensus is Marq Spusta should be 1st place. It’s been 3-weeks!
Obviously not the consensus seeing as Jake won fair and square. Just because a vocal minority of sweaty guys keep saying it, it doesn't make it true.
Shouldn't have won in two categories. Give him the art print of the year, and redo the gig poster of the year.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
ManOfSteel
Art Enthusiast

Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:13 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:09 am
Monolithic wrote:
Browntrout wrote:
Are we going to get an explanation what happened here or not? Not one member has defended POTY Ghost of Tsushima as a legitimate winner. Consensus is Marq Spusta should be 1st place. It’s been 3-weeks!
Obviously not the consensus seeing as Jake won fair and square. Just because a vocal minority of sweaty guys keep saying it, it doesn't make it true.
Shouldn't have won in two categories. Give him the art print of the year, and redo the gig poster of the year.
Why couldn't it have won two categories? The word "Poster" and "Art" are very broad and not specific enough. Seems like a new category needs to be created to fix this.... "Gig Poster of the Year"
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:21 pm

why does it need both categories? one is enough - Let a true Gig Poster win rather than a video game. spread the wealth.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
KipPotapych
Art Expert

Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:26 pm

Monolithic wrote:
Browntrout wrote:
“Fair and square?” Lol.

Sweaty guys? Lol.

Just because a bunch of teens and men children organized a “mass” vote for what they commissioned out of their moms’ basements, doesn’t make it fair and square.

I don’t get why this isn’t clear. Unless these are the very teens and men children chiming in. I guess if Bluey got a few more votes to move it into the first, it would be more apparent?
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:37 pm

Look at the history of "poster of the year". The choices are ALWAYS gig posters. It's the gig poster category because that's what a poster is by default around here. The team dropped the ball this year and didn't clean up the category before the vote. Whoops. Man I feel drymounting sweaty after typing that out, gonna need some chicky tendys to calm down. MOMMMMMMMMM!!!!?1!!!
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:39 pm

Monolithic wrote:

Crap 3rd post.

He won shart print.
Or he won poster of the year … not both.
Since it’s a shart print, he didn’t win poster of the year.
Period.
It was a mistake having the damn thing in the category with gig posters.

Ygo is correct.
We’ve been electing gig posters in that category since day one…years before the movie poster money grab.
Minus that one year before cinema poster was added as a catagory. A movie poster won POTY.
2011… members weren’t pleased, and thatchit was corrected in 2012.
Sperry still got robbed, but it wasn’t happening again.
The Black Keys Council Bluffs will always be poster of 2011 in my book.

Yeah, some of us take it seriously.
It used to be a big deal.
Personally I’d like to see gig posters only for the award. That’s the spirit of EB.
Even if the video game cover was not correctly listed as a shart print, it still should be removed in the poster category.
The fact it won in the category it was supposed to be in, closes this whole thing with a big drymounting bow.
Why in the world are we still talking about this?
Should have been done internally on day one.
I don’t get it.
It’s Feb 5th. Remove it FFS.
Congrats to Marq.
KipPotapych
Art Expert

Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:44 pm

Like I said in the other thread, at the end of the day it is up those who approve the listings to correct the category if necessary. Those who are submitting don’t have to have a clue and most probably didn’t read the guidelines.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:02 pm

KipPotapych wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:44 pm
Like I said in the other thread, at the end of the day it is up those who approve the listings to correct the category if necessary. Those who are submitting don’t have to have a clue and most probably didn’t read the guidelines.
Yup.
I don’t get why it wasn’t corrected before announcing the winners.
Why create all this drama and crap?

We should have never even known.
The fact we’re still talking about it is bizarre as drymount.
dougr
Site Admin

Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:03 pm

heya -

an announcement on EB's response to the 2023 awards results is pending a concurrent update to the web site.

in the meanwhile, just to clarify current EB Class definitions:
- the Poster Class is for pieces that promote an event, or series of events. While the bulk of these pieces are gigposters, other pieces (e.g. artist gallery show, political rally, etc.) could qualify. A rule of thumb is that these pieces have a date on them.
- the Cinema Class is for pieces that promote a movie/film and include movie credits - "one-sheets."
- the Art Print Class is EB's catch-all. The other two Classes are specific carve-outs.

the winning entrant for 2023 Poster of the Year did not qualify for that award. i take responsibility as i did not cull through the nominees carefully enough at the end of December. any EB Member is welcome to review the nominees at any point during the year (https://expressobeans.com/public/nominated.php) and flag corrections in the Database Entry Update Request thread.

the voting process is programmed and automated. Each January, pieces that are nominated by EB Members for weekly awards throughout the previous year are automatically grouped by Class, and EB's software automatically puts the vote live, closes the vote, and tabulates and publishes the results.

hope this clarifies some things until an announcement is made as to EB's response...
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
tbraun76
Art Enthusiast

Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:57 pm

So I will represent the unpopular opinion. Jake Kontou won both categories fair and square. It is wrong to say otherwise and the bashing of the print is really disappointing.

If a technical mistake led to the two categories, fine but then it should be a revote because who is to say which print would have won in that instance. In any case, Jake should congratulated for a great print and a dedicated fan base.

No stake in this...I have none of the prints involved and both artists are excellent in very different ways.

Now please try to be a little respectful and let the fix happen as best possible. Mistakes occur...so be it .
ManOfSteel
Art Enthusiast

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:58 am

tbraun76 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:57 pm
So I will represent the unpopular opinion. Jake Kontou won both categories fair and square. It is wrong to say otherwise and the bashing of the print is really disappointing.

If a technical mistake led to the two categories, fine but then it should be a revote because who is to say which print would have won in that instance. In any case, Jake should congratulated for a great print and a dedicated fan base.

No stake in this...I have none of the prints involved and both artists are excellent in very different ways.

Now please try to be a little respectful and let the fix happen as best possible. Mistakes occur...so be it .

I completely agree! There are also unfounded claims circulating that "noobs" joined the site solely to vote on Jake's piece. The print had a very limited run, and there were other projects with a larger print run and artist following. I do not believe for one minute there was any manipulation in the voting process. It would be helpful for an administrator to clarify whether or not this was the case.

If a significant number of people on this site genuinely perceive this category as meant exclusively for gig posters, then it raises the question: why didn't a gig poster win? Considering that there were artists bigger (following) than Jake in this category.
KipPotapych
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:13 pm

^ The question is why didn’t Bluey win?! Ask yourself that and you will probably get your answer. Common, man, seriously.
YellowBedwetter
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:40 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:37 pm
Look at the history of "poster of the year". The choices are ALWAYS gig posters. It's the gig poster category because that's what a poster is by default around here. The team dropped the ball this year and didn't clean up the category before the vote. Whoops. Man I feel drymounting sweaty after typing that out, gonna need some chicky tendys to calm down. MOMMMMMMMMM!!!!?1!!!
LMAO!!! :lol:
YellowBedwetter
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:46 pm

turnJBup wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:39 pm
Monolithic wrote:

Crap 3rd post.

He won shart print.
Or he won poster of the year … not both.
Since it’s a shart print, he didn’t win poster of the year.
Period.
It was a mistake having the damn thing in the category with gig posters.

Ygo is correct.
We’ve been electing gig posters in that category since day one…years before the movie poster money grab.
Minus that one year before cinema poster was added as a catagory. A movie poster won POTY.
2011… members weren’t pleased, and thatchit was corrected in 2012.
Sperry still got robbed, but it wasn’t happening again.
The Black Keys Council Bluffs will always be poster of 2011 in my book.

Yeah, some of us take it seriously.
It used to be a big deal.
Personally I’d like to see gig posters only for the award. That’s the spirit of EB.
Even if the video game cover was not correctly listed as a shart print, it still should be removed in the poster category.
The fact it won in the category it was supposed to be in, closes this whole thing with a big drymounting bow.
Why in the world are we still talking about this?
Should have been done internally on day one.
I don’t get it.
It’s Feb 5th. Remove it FFS.
Congrats to Marq.
All of this is on point with all feelings of major EB contributors and members. Make Marq the winner and be done with this already. Next year, change the category to GigPoster OTY
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:00 pm

or just get rid of the awards all together
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com