EB Art of the Year

Official Expresso Beans Art News.
entropy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm

csorensen84 wrote:Voted - a lot of great prints to choose from. Although, think Hush Masked Siren should have been included, even if only an edition of 10.
Yeah, it wasn't there.. Hush's Masked Siren would definitely have been one of my 2 or 3 finalists for art print. I was crushed when I couldn't acquire one last January. There were 2 left when I was on the phone with the gallery, but they wouldn't accept an immediate $500 down payment with the balance payable within 10 days...(that usually works 70% of the time :) ). Luckily the following week I acquired one of the best paintings in my collection (an original from one of my fave artists).... That's art collecting for you: One day you're down in the zero, next day you're riding a spaceship through the cosmos with Carl Sagan as your guide.
flashphishin
Art Expert

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:59 pm

My votes:

Art:

Runners up: Image Image

Cinema:

Gig Poster:

Wish this had of been on the list. Methane’s best in a while IMO. Probably wouldn’t have won against the EMEK but…

2012=Gig Poster Glory!!!
Limited Paper Mayne
thebends9 wrote:You fruitcakes need thicker skin.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:02 pm

BlakeAronson wrote:
Codeblue wrote:You don't til it's over.
someone posted that they were the only one to vote for something.
Prolly cuz he is either the only one who owns it, or no one else has posted that they voted for it.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
fnord
Art Expert

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:03 pm

My money's on him voting for the Faile Black Sub Rosa which was on my short list for apoty
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
csorensen84
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:31 pm

entropy wrote:
csorensen84 wrote:Voted - a lot of great prints to choose from. Although, think Hush Masked Siren should have been included, even if only an edition of 10.
Yeah, it wasn't there.. Hush's Masked Siren would definitely have been one of my 2 or 3 finalists for art print. I was crushed when I couldn't acquire one last January. There were 2 left when I was on the phone with the gallery, but they wouldn't accept an immediate $500 down payment with the balance payable within 10 days...(that usually works 70% of the time :) ). Luckily the following week I acquired one of the best paintings in my collection (an original from one of my fave artists).... That's art collecting for you: One day you're down in the zero, next day you're riding a spaceship through the cosmos with Carl Sagan as your guide.
Was explained why by a moderator a few pages back (thanks for that btw Yamar). Without knowing much about the artist when I saw the release discussion on here, immediately called the gallery and put the card down after hearing the interest levels. Favorite print pick-up of 2012 - almost more of an original than a print, with the handfinishing, unique colorways and layering / depth.

What was the original you picked up?
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:25 pm

Yep, anyone complaining/commenting on NOT seeing something in the nominees at the end of the year, ask if you're using your right/power to nominate during the year. Of course, the downside to this is the more nominations we may get, the longer the list of nominees will be when it comes time to vote at the end of the year...
Tra la la la la...
dougr
Site Admin

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:39 pm

just to be clear, votes are tallied once a week, when AOTW is announced. a user may switch nominations several times during the week, but only the active one when the AOTW tally is done counts towards AOTY nominations.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 pm

I am with Flashphishin...
Voted for sperry's strummer and emek's panic.
peacedog
Art Expert

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 am

gig:

movie:

art print:
entropy
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:01 am

csorensen84 wrote: What was the original you picked up?
It was a painting by Saturno Buttò
Imatruck
Art Expert

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 pm

one total jay ryan poster in three catagories combined. hmmmm. People must not like his work.
veltri
Art Expert

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Imatruck wrote:one total jay ryan poster in three catagories combined. hmmmm. People must not like his work.
I think a bunch of posters and prints missed the cut from when the Art of the Week wasn't working. People just didn't bother nominating.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
Kingfish
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:58 pm

sixstringer wrote:Art Print:

Cinema Poster:
Same. Still deciding on my gp. I'm finding that category the toughest.
soam24
Art Freak

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:30 pm

Imatruck wrote:one total jay ryan poster in three catagories combined. hmmmm. People must not like his work.

it seems to simple/childish for me... to each their own
kassdnb
Art Expert

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm

[gig]

[art]

[mov]