Poster Repair on Discovery's "How it's Made" tv

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:55 pm

Anyone see the segment? I caught the very end and it looked pretty cool. Did some google research and found the guy that did the repair @ posterfix.com. Very cool site! Prices seem reasonable for what he does if you've got some trashed posters that you need to fix.

http://www.posterfix.com/
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Watched some of the videos on his site...amazing! Wanna see a $40,000 print from the 1800's removed from a glued wooden panel and restored to it's original glory? Check out the Divan Japonais Complete Restoration video. Blows my mind!
GreenMt
Art Expert

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:33 am

Thanks. Nice to see videos of the process in detail.

The flip side of this is that serious vintage poster collectors considering purchase of a valuable print have to really examine the poster very carefully, with special techniques, to discover what repairs/overpainting etc have been done. This is a particular problem if purchasing posters at auction.

The value of the poster is primarily based upon its condition prior to restoration--

This is a great Lautrec. The man in the poster was a well-known critic. Divan Japonais was a cabaret/nightclub in Montmarte.

This was the first image Cheret used for his "Maitres de l'Affiches" and is one of the best prints of that series.
Smittymagic
New User

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:36 pm

I have been using Sei Petterson for all my poster repairs and Sei is the Best....... I got an email from Chris Cloutier at posterfix.com who was going to give me a good deal on two posters. As it turns out and after digging for the reviews on this guy he is bad news. I sent him a $300.00US magic poster to get mounted and now he wont return my phone calls, emails or posters. He wanted me to cancel the claim with paypal which I am not going to do.....he wants more money to asend the posters back to me instead of using my UPS account and I would pay to have them shipped back. ...Here is the last email I got ..

Brent
I appreciate the business you sent our way with those to posters.
this morning my paypal balance was $about $100 and after yo filed a claim on me my balance is now -$170 or so.
I cant ship anything until i get some funds from either you are someone else. so all bets are off.
If you cacell the claim now, then i can complete shipment tomorrow.
otherwise i cant. also my shop computer is on th frotz- the computer fixer will come to ficx it thursday i am told. i am using a home computer at home right now. Please return the money and cancellthe claim asap.
my responces wll be delayed until i am at the home computer (as far as tomorrow is concerned)

here is the reviews I found but too late ....http://www.topix.com/forum/city/brookly ... ORJROIKDIP

Stay away from this guy.........and posterfix.com

As for Sei Petterson, Im sorry for not using your services and I will continue to use you and only you