Ten Banthas 10 Ryan

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
mnelson
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Lowbrow-Ink wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
gonzo303 wrote:
sasquatch wrote:As a Ryan completist, I'll be giving it to my kid for her room. Not sure if it's flippable. Over time, most Ryans are though.
It is pretty cartoonery and pretty much just sucks. Sasquatch you are sure fast to defend your precious Jay but can bash Sperry left and right. This is seriously another dumb Ryan poster. God this fudge gets old, how do you guys really like this fudge?

Im mainly asking you sasquatch as Sperrys stuff changes this just gets plain old......
Here we go ... :roll:

Let's see: Clipart with shiny inks vs. hand-drawn goodness with humor, style, reverence and relevance to the bands, thoughtful prints, killer collaborations and hand-pulled in Skokie, Illinois.

Like the man said: Different strokes. Ryan's a killer printer AND a fantastic artist. But this is probably not the place for this discussion -- again.

No need to get so damnz personal, brother.
I'm no "completist", but my guess would be that "hand-pulled" squeegees are few & far between around the Ryan compound since the arrival of the semi-auto in (04 or 05?).
I don't want to turn this in to some lame Artist vs. Artist bash fest, especially since I love both artists. But to Sperry's defense... clipart? He hand draws everything. He may use photos for reference, but there's no tracing involved. And he sure as hell has "style, reverence and relevance to the bands, thoughtful prints," it's as simple as reading up a single post on his website to know that. And we all know Firehouse's skills at hand-pulling inky goodness. Your argument is, basically, completely flawed.

In summation, my dad can beat up your dad.
twilight77
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:51 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
sasquatch wrote:As a Ryan completist, I'll be giving it to my kid for her room. Not sure if it's flippable. Over time, most Ryans are though.
It is pretty cartoonery and pretty much just sucks. Sasquatch you are sure fast to defend your precious Jay but can bash Sperry left and right. This is seriously another dumb Ryan poster. God this fudge gets old, how do you guys really like this fudge?

Im mainly asking you sasquatch as Sperrys stuff changes this just gets plain old......
^Not sure this is the correct way to prove any point.

I think this poster is fun. Does everyone just want ultra-flippable Star Wars posters?
hirschy75 wrote:And twilight you can kiss my ass.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:17 pm

I think most of the artist in the series tend to overthink it, since it is star wars, and then fail. I like that Jay kept it simple. that being said, there are other characters I would have preferred. but I like it.
norelation
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:02 pm

sasquatch
Art Expert

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Lowbrow-Ink wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
gonzo303 wrote:

Here we go ... :roll:

Let's see: Clipart with shiny inks vs. hand-drawn goodness with humor, style, reverence and relevance to the bands, thoughtful prints, killer collaborations and hand-pulled in Skokie, Illinois.

Like the man said: Different strokes. Ryan's a killer printer AND a fantastic artist. But this is probably not the place for this discussion -- again.

No need to get so damnz personal, brother.
I'm no "completist", but my guess would be that "hand-pulled" squeegees are few & far between around the Ryan compound since the arrival of the semi-auto in (04 or 05?).

Yeaaaaah, you're probably right, How about hand-cut (rubylith)? I'm trying to remember how this thread got poisoned.
fnord
Art Expert

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:16 am

I personally love this and am happy to have scored one.
The fact that it's an alternative viewpoint of the iconic opening scene of Episode IV really makes it for me.
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
mnelson
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:52 am

sasquatch wrote:I'm trying to remember how this thread got poisoned.
Uhh, by your idiotic first comment about how he was wrong for calling it "cartoony"? You poisoned it. You're terrible at this thing we call "logic", aren't you? Ok, I'm dropping it now.
sasquatch
Art Expert

Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:45 pm

mnelson wrote:
sasquatch wrote:I'm trying to remember how this thread got poisoned.
Uhh, by your idiotic first comment about how he was wrong for calling it "cartoony"? You poisoned it. You're terrible at this thing we call "logic", aren't you? Ok, I'm dropping it now.
No, logic dictates that complaining that a Jay Ryan poster is "cartoony" without any further comment to define the term is illogical. At the same time, I followed my comment up with a mea culpa, stating that I wouldn't have posted that if I had initially noticed he had been a member for only a week.

But thanks for the stinging insults. Pardon me for saying it, but some of you newer folks around here are pretty tightly wound.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:18 pm

There might be some of these left through the bird machine. it says email for availability.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:10 am

I was lucky enough to meet Jay in January, and got to see a lot of prints at various stages, from concept, to OG, to keyplates, to various layers of handcut rubylith, to the finished product.
I have to say, it gave me an all new respect for the handmade aspect of all his art (and other artists) even though I was already a fan.
I guess I'm just saying that I look at this and see the man hours that have gone into it. I don't look at it and wonder what photoshop plugins and filters were used.
Plus, I happen to like Jay's deceptively simple looking lines, even though some see them as 'cartoons'.

Not trying to reignite the argument, just sayin.
"Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed"
automator
Nobody

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:18 am

New image Ten Banthas 10 Ryan

sasquatch
Art Expert

Tue May 01, 2018 7:29 am

Anyone looking to sell one of these? I'm in the market. Thanks.