Cleaning fingerprints and scuffs from metal prints

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
wizdom
Art Expert

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Is there a way to clean metal prints from all the marks? It would be fairly easy to clean the back of a print but front gets tricky since nobody wants to damage the inks. Someone suggested rubbing alcohol + water solution. Any ideas? Just to make sure there's no responses like 'scuffs are part of the medium, handling metal is tricky', - I do understand that not everything can be cleaned up. Should the inks be touched at all?
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:51 pm

yes, somebody please enlighten us. The borders of my emek metals are full of fingerprints and it's annoying me
ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant
igotid
Art Expert

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Would also like to know this...so for those of with metal prints, have you put glass in the frame or leave it open?
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:48 pm

yeah I would like to know also. glad you started this, i got one i move around and its got fingerprints on it.
averysantucci
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:55 pm

qtip and rubbing alcohol, roll the qtip while you clean.
Boognish23
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:58 pm

Yes me too! Some advice on this would be great!
wizdom
Art Expert

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:48 pm

igotid wrote:Would also like to know this...so for those of with metal prints, have you put glass in the frame or leave it open?
I do have a UV acrylic in mine. Not sure if it helps.
3Wishes
Art Enthusiast

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Just a suggestion, I haven't tried this...

I wonder if you can remove fingerprints with a microfiber cloth? The kind they sell for removing fingerprints from photos. Seems those *might* be less abrasive then the kind to clean your computer monitor. Not sure. One brand I saw online (Pioneer) is acid free. I'm sure there's other brands available...here's a link for a bit more info.

http://discountkitchenphotostore.co.cc/ ... 9UT7Q.html
3Wishes aka IWish
wizdom
Art Expert

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:14 pm

I've been told that the 'glasses' cleaner solution can work. It doesn't damage the inks but no idea about long term effects. What do you think?
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:35 pm

wizdom wrote:I've been told that the 'glasses' cleaner solution can work. It doesn't damage the inks but no idea about long term effects. What do you think?
ammonia is some harsh stuff. who told you this info ? what is glasses cleaner, Windex ?
rmoore
Art Expert

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:38 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:
wizdom wrote:I've been told that the 'glasses' cleaner solution can work. It doesn't damage the inks but no idea about long term effects. What do you think?
ammonia is some harsh stuff. who told you this info ? what is glasses cleaner, Windex ?
No, like eyeglass cleaner. Isopropyl or isopropanol alcohol.
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:02 am

rmoore wrote:
ChefFerrari wrote:
wouldn't that dry out the ink though ? and dont tell me "well the ink is already dry" LOL I hope you know what I mean
wizdom
Art Expert

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:08 am

rmoore wrote:
ChefFerrari wrote:
Yeah, that's what I meant. Not sure if it dries out the ink. I might just clean the borders and not risk any damage.
rmoore
Art Expert

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:20 am

ChefFerrari wrote:
rmoore wrote:
ChefFerrari wrote:
wouldn't that dry out the ink though ? and dont tell me "well the ink is already dry" LOL I hope you know what I mean
Yeah, I guess it might maybe fade the ink a bit? Let's just mix some ammonia and bleach and see what happens. :wink:
MJBuck
Art Expert

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:22 am

I've used microfiber and q-tips. No moisture.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.