Show me your Tyler Stout's

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.

Postby wizdom on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:01 am

very cool, this handbill is really nice
wizdom
Art Expert

Postby cgmarshall on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:27 am

Oh sweet, that looks well nice! :clap:
cgmarshall
Art Connoisseur

Postby PorkBelly on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks!

I've picked up a bunch of Stouts over the past few months. Now that they buying spree has slowed down, I'm going to start framing the big ones.

The Lebowski or the Thing will probably go first. Suggestions?
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Postby wizdom on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:22 am

Whatever you do keep the frames and mats fairly consistent throughout your Stouts. Always makes it look better.
wizdom
Art Expert

Postby cgmarshall on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:12 pm

wizdom wrote:Whatever you do keep the frames and mats fairly consistent throughout your Stouts. Always makes it look better.

Yea i totally agree,
In my opinion I would say try not to go to extravagant in the framing and let the art speak for itself. Subtle can sometimes be the best way.
one great example would be the gallery 'Cosh' in London that framed the alamo Print. simple clean and its all about the print inside.

The only reason i did not go down this path is that i did not want my print touching the glass.
So i went for mats.
Im so happy the way my painted mats came out, I just put in my Stout BLADE RUNNER red Variant to be framed the exact same way as my last 3 but this time the bevel matching the auburn red.
cgmarshall
Art Connoisseur

Postby PorkBelly on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:24 pm

cgmarshall wrote:
wizdom wrote:Whatever you do keep the frames and mats fairly consistent throughout your Stouts. Always makes it look better.

Yea i totally agree,
In my opinion I would say try not to go to extravagant in the framing and let the art speak for itself. Subtle can sometimes be the best way.
one great example would be the gallery 'Cosh' in London that framed the alamo Print. simple clean and its all about the print inside.

The only reason i did not go down this path is that i did not want my print touching the glass.
So i went for mats.
Im so happy the way my painted mats came out, I just put in my Stout BLADE RUNNER red Variant to be framed the exact same way as my last 3 but this time the bevel matching the auburn red.

Yeah, I am thinking of taking a similar approach to you but am still a bit nervous about the painted bevels so I am currently looking at other options. I really liked how the bevels pull the colors from the print, though.

Just out of curiosity, did you look at red bevels for your Thing piece?

Also, when you get the Blade Runner back, please post pics. I'd love to see it. :drool:
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Postby daviddelgadoh on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:36 pm

cgmarshall wrote:

Yea i totally agree,

So i went for mats.

Agreed with all, but you don't have to use mats - just put some spacers into a standard size frame. My Stouts are all archival, and each frame job cost me only about $50 or less. Simple black frames that let the art speak for itself.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Postby PorkBelly on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:45 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
Agreed with all, but you don't have to use mats - just put some spacers into a standard size frame. My Stouts are all archival, and each frame job cost me only about $50 or less. Simple black frames that let the art speak for itself.

Does that include the glass?
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Postby cgmarshall on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:16 pm

PorkBelly wrote:
Yeah, I am thinking of taking a similar approach to you but am still a bit nervous about the painted bevels so I am currently looking at other options. I really liked how the bevels pull the colors from the print, though.

Also, when you get the Blade Runner back, please post pics. I'd love to see it. :drool:

The thinking behind the colour choice on The Thing is you don't want to take away from the Red that's already in the print.
Stout purposely has made it in the print as a colour that pops out from the image.
Adding more red as a border would only make the red flatter and blend in with the print.
ImageImage

The same thought processes is going into the Blade runner.
This actually has two main Colours that pop out from the image the bright font red and the offset sky blue.
So by matching the darker auburn red it should work with the over all background colour of the print.
ImageImage

Photos will come soon as i get it back from my framer :D
cgmarshall
Art Connoisseur

Postby daviddelgadoh on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:37 pm

PorkBelly wrote:
daviddelgadoh wrote:

Does that include the glass?

Yes including glass.
Though I will say that my Monster Squad doesn't have UV glass; however, the area it is in gets little-to-no sunlight.
Also, sometimes the guy at Hobby Lobby doesn't charge me for the glass since I'm a regular customer, a-la Iron Man. Even without that, you're looking at an inexpensive frame job.

Since we finally replaced our old camera, I can take a good picture of that particular corner, gimme a sec...

Edit: here we go.
Last edited by daviddelgadoh on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Postby PorkBelly on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:38 pm

cgmarshall wrote:
PorkBelly wrote:

The thinking behind the colour choice on The Thing is you don't want to take away from the Red that's already in the print.
Stout purposely has made it in the print as a colour that pops out from the image.
Adding more red as a border would only make the red flatter and blend in with the print.
ImageImage

The same thought processes is going into the Blade runner.
This actually has two main Colours that pop out from the image the bright font red and the offset sky blue.
So by matching the darker auburn red it should work with the over all background colour of the print.
ImageImage

Photos will come soon as i get it back from my framer :D

Going with the dominant color makes a lot of sense now that you explained it. & looks great. Thanks.

BTW, your mats are perfect matches for the print paper. You don't happen to have the mat company or color code for them, do you?
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Postby cgmarshall on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:43 pm

PorkBelly wrote:
Going with the dominant color makes a lot of sense now that you explained it. & looks great. Thanks.

BTW, your mats are perfect matches for the print paper. You don't happen to have the mat company or color code for them, do you?

Yea I should have all that information for you. Let me just check my files over the weekend.
cgmarshall
Art Connoisseur

Postby PorkBelly on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:55 pm

cgmarshall wrote:
PorkBelly wrote:

Yea I should have all that information for you. Let me just check my files over the weekend.

Cool. Feel free to PM me with the info if you don't want to clog the thread.

Unless others want the info, too. . .
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Postby jlabbate on Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Here are a couple that I have
IB2.JPG
IB2.JPG (12.31 KiB) Viewed 963 times

lebowski.JPG
lebowski.JPG (24.34 KiB) Viewed 963 times

max2.JPG
max2.JPG (21.83 KiB) Viewed 963 times

I also have Blade Runner/The Thing/Iron Man 2 (reg & var.) Framed

The only stout yet to be framed is Big Trouble in Little China, which will hopefully be done in the next month or so
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby OneStepAhead on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:05 am

just found this thread, as Tyler just posted it on his website. I see my collection has already been posted, but i've got a few more i'll post in the morning!
OneStepAhead
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Framing Corner