Stock Market Discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
rockbridge
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:09 am

tourist504 wrote:Picked up 50 shares of Avon (AVP) today. And a few more shares of GE.
Penny for your thoughts on GE.....

This one of the first stocks I bought about 25 years ago and was diligent about adding shares for quite some time and have reinvested all dividends into additional shares......Haven't bought additional shares in years (about 10)....They have been cutting the dividend and there is a lot of gloom and doom out there about GE's survival.....Some folks are saying I should get out......

Cheers!
jamel-d
Art Freak

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:02 am

rockbridge wrote:
tourist504 wrote:Picked up 50 shares of Avon (AVP) today. And a few more shares of GE.

This one of the first stocks I bought about 25 years ago and was diligent about adding shares for quite some time and have reinvested all dividends into additional shares......Haven't bought additional shares in years (about 10)....They have been cutting the dividend and there is a lot of gloom and doom out there about GE's survival.....Some folks are saying I should get out......

Cheers!
I’ve owned GE on and off over the last 10 years. I bailed last November. If you’re in the black, get out. If you’re in the red, decide whether you can tolerate the amount you’ve lost vs more pain. The financial arm is still an issue, plus the dividend is still at risk. For pure dividend plays, T and VZ are better returns.
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:04 am

GE monthly squeeze on gaining momentum for the 5th time in its history has never failed. The dividends are not near the ath of 12% but they have been increasing from the 2017 2.5% in 2018.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Don't trust GE fundamentals right now. Too many questions, want to get it sub <$10 then hope for a buyout by competitor. See you mentioned dividends I'd say better off getting into T (AT&T) or PM (PHILIP MORRIS)... but PM after they don't ban flavored cigs as jumped today because of that but Don't see Republicans doing that which should cause it to drop back down. Also can't see them letting all these Marijuana companies taking their smokers away without a fight through regulations or buying competition.

Was tempted to get in on the NIO IPO this morning after it sold off fast down to $5.35 but just couldn't do it as a lot of questions. Could be another Tesla or another bust.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:42 pm

FeeR wrote:
mfaith wrote:
mr_rugby wrote:Anyone following or investing in any cannabis companies?
Also curious about this
If you guys are still interested, there is a new medical marijuana ETF through Horizons ETFs that trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange. Just started up a couple of days ago, here's a link if you want to look further into it http://www.horizonsetfs.com/etf/HMMJ
What is the easiest/cheapest way to be able to buy stocks on the Toronto Stock Exchange if I'm in the US? I just joined Webull and thought they could do it, but doesn't appear so- just NASDAQ and NYSE, but picked up some CRON. I want to pick up some Aurora (ACB? ACBFF?), any ideas?
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:40 am

You could get a put. Things like CRON and TLRY are on IPO pops, be very careful entering long positions.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:46 am

cktbreaker wrote:You could get a put. Things like CRON and TLRY are on IPO pops, be very careful entering long positions.
hasn't it been fun to watch and gamble in. The one I want but have to wait till next month is CWB as just listed in Canada and no ADR or US listing yet. Usually around 40days after IPO does the ADR appear for trade. Unless I open an account in Canada but don't feel like doing that for this one stock.

Has anyone opened foreign accounts to trade before? How complicated are taxes?
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:20 pm

With those canna stocks, I don't like gambling so I just short the tops on confirmed rejection. What is CWB? I don't see it. Only non US exchanges I use are for cryptos, don't know about trad. stocks.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:50 pm

cktbreaker wrote:With those canna stocks, I don't like gambling so I just short the tops on confirmed rejection. What is CWB? I don't see it. Only non US exchanges I use are for cryptos, don't know about trad. stocks.
Yeah I set my stop losses to protect gains after the crazy highs... pun intended

CWB is Charlotte's Web Holdings. Most known for the epileptic girl with seizures was in the news a bit. I know it was in the news a bit. Very respected brand in the industry. They are based in Colorado but listed in Canada as the legal date looms to raise more capital. They actually make a profit and I think will be one of the standouts when the smoke clears.

Usually with international IPOs there is a 30-40 day wait till the ADR is available in US. October 10th is the date I believe it will be available. You can find it on etrade under CWBHF but in Grey Market.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:10 am

chevyav53 wrote:
cktbreaker wrote:With those canna stocks, I don't like gambling so I just short the tops on confirmed rejection. What is CWB? I don't see it. Only non US exchanges I use are for cryptos, don't know about trad. stocks.
Yeah I set my stop losses to protect gains after the crazy highs... pun intended

CWB is Charlotte's Web Holdings. Most known for the epileptic girl with seizures was in the news a bit. I know it was in the news a bit. Very respected brand in the industry. They are based in Colorado but listed in Canada as the legal date looms to raise more capital. They actually make a profit and I think will be one of the standouts when the smoke clears.

Usually with international IPOs there is a 30-40 day wait till the ADR is available in US. October 10th is the date I believe it will be available. You can find it on etrade under CWBHF but in Grey Market.
Nice! I would like to get some HMMJ as well, but am still trying to figure out how to buy on the Toronto Stock Exchange from the US. JP Morgan? ETrade? Robinhood? I would also like to avoid paying ~$30 commission on a trade... :? Heard ETrade is like $6.95 commission per trade, not bad but not super cheap either! :lol:
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:51 am

Ah, Charlotte's Web. Yes I know them quite well actually. A non-profit group I work closely with in California got some of CWB's high CBD oil from a dispensary in Cali, tested it, and found ZERO cannabinoids in their product. A product that sells for over $100 on the shelf. Because of the legal issues with releasing this info, it was never done. If just really burned me that a group that says they are committed to patients would pull such a move.

I trade trad stocks on Ameritrade Think or Swim platform, I just moved to this platform, I think its 6.95 a trade, no annual fee, im still in the two month grace period for free trades or they gave me some alotment of free trades. You can paper trade on the same platform as well, helps to get used to the trade functions. They also kick down some cash to you if you move in a certain amount. Think or Swim runs on linux too which works for me.
tourist504
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:01 pm

rockbridge wrote:

Cheers!
My daddy always said to buy good companies low. It's served me pretty well. The company is due for some refocusing, but I have no plans to sell in the immediate future. I'll probably buy more, especially if it goes under 10.

Of course it dropped another 2% today, but so did Apple. I have way more in Apple.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 pm

HenryGaleWasHere wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:

Nice! I would like to get some HMMJ as well, but am still trying to figure out how to buy on the Toronto Stock Exchange from the US. JP Morgan? ETrade? Robinhood? I would also like to avoid paying ~$30 commission on a trade... :? Heard ETrade is like $6.95 commission per trade, not bad but not super cheap either! :lol:
You have to create an account on a Canadian exchange site for some of these stocks directly. Some are listing on US exchanges and local ETrade etc.. work fine and yes just under $7 fees. Robinhood does not list ADRs that I am aware of. They list the standard large cap stocks and some small. Fun couple of days. Great opportunity to get in next week as should see a little more of a correct and depending on Auroras earnings announcement.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:15 pm

chevyav53 wrote:
HenryGaleWasHere wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:

You have to create an account on a Canadian exchange site for some of these stocks directly. Some are listing on US exchanges and local ETrade etc.. work fine and yes just under $7 fees. Robinhood does not list ADRs that I am aware of. They list the standard large cap stocks and some small. Fun couple of days. Great opportunity to get in next week as should see a little more of a correct and depending on Auroras earnings announcement.
Cool, thanks!

Yeah I just signed up for Robinhood for access to a few more stocks, too bad they just took down Aurora recently but I'm hoping they add it again soon. I think Canopy is priced a little high (ha) right now, but Scott's Miracle Grow has acquired a lotta grow/hydro companies, so who knows? I'm in for a long haul and can see the industry really booming in a few years. Still researching.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:00 pm

Finally just picked up some Aurora on Fidelity, giddy up!

Bought some AMD stock last week, wish I would have gotten in a few months earlier :cry: