the official TV discussion thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:00 pm

It took me a couple attempts just to get through S1 of Jessica Jones. Wasn't into it. Castle Rock is good...I debated whether I wanted to watch it or not...I detest prison movies/shows. I'll keep watching until it starts getting too gruesome, but...yeah...it's holding my attention.
fredo
Art God

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:02 pm

jlabbate wrote:late to the party..but just started up Peaky Blinders(3 episodes in) and liking it a lot
Great show. Has its ups and downs but overall deserves props for getting more complex/mature without losing much punch.
just a foil for me today, thanks
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:53 pm

IWish wrote:It took me a couple attempts just to get through S1 of Jessica Jones. Wasn't into it.
JESSICA JONES has been my favorite of the four Marvel Netflix shows. I didn't know much about the character prior to the show but I really got in to it. Krysten Ritter kills it as JJ and David Tennant was brilliant as Kilgrave in Season 1. I still need to check out Season 2 of this along with LUKE CAGE and Season 1 of THE PUNISHER.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Give Amy Adams every got damn award possible for Sharp Objects. Jaysus :shock: :shock:

Normally don't watch week to week. I always binge post season but after watching episode 1 of SO, I was hooked. I love the editing too. Everything and everyone in that town is tied to some prior trauma in Camilles life.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm

The Affair is really good this season.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:33 pm

jjbehren wrote:The Affair is really good this season.
Agreed. If what they are saying happened in the last episode actually happened, I didn't see it coming. Gotta be Cole's new wife amirite? Also didn't realize that next season is the last.

The aforementioned Sharp Object is like watching paint dry so far though. It's gonna be one of those shows where everything happens in the last episode. Hate that fudge.
Last edited by Codeblue on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Codeblue wrote:
jjbehren wrote:The Affair is really good this season.
Agreed.

The aforementioned Sharp Object is like watching paint dry so far though. It's gonna be one of those shows where everything happens in the last episode. Hate that fudge.

I agree dude. It’s moving really slow. Expected this episode to have fudge unravel a bit more but nope. I’m still enjoying the fudge out of it though. Really like Chris Messina and Adams/Clarkson are incredible in it.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Sharp Objects - that's some dark stuff. Watched, (listened actually), while working...otherwise, I would have given up on it. It's not a sit-down and grab 100% of my attention show, for me.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:34 am

Sharper Things or w/e seems like a miss imo. Tryn to capture that True Detective x Leftovers+Big Little Lies vibe... according to the trailer I've seen a million times.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:50 am

SPAC04 wrote:Sharper Things or w/e seems like a miss imo. Tryn to capture that True Detective x Leftovers+Big Little Lies vibe... according to the trailer I've seen a million times.
Yeah this was my thought as well. There have been flashes, but not consistently up to True Detective level. I will likely finish the season, but I could take it or leave it at this point.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
fredo
Art God

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:28 pm

fredo wrote:New Star Trek was pretty good up until the cool kingdom died and they found the pot bellied dragonrat that can sniff out star systems. Jesus.
I like it again.
just a foil for me today, thanks
meskell
Art Expert

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:28 pm

I want more Sharp Objects!
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:34 pm

^^Felt a bit drawn out to me. Enjoyed the beginning and the end. Would have made a good movie. Post credits scene was a nice surprise.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Post credits scene was completely unnecessary and catering to the lowest common denominator. Otherwise, solid finale with a far slower burn than was necessary for the rest of the season.

P.S. I called the twist with sis in ep 1.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Devours
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:07 am

I enjoyed the show even though if any were paying attention, Amma and her wolf pack friends were clearly murderers after a few episodes.

It was never Adora, it never fit. Adora clearly suffered Munchausen Syndrome, it was rampant with every word she uttered.

She killed her own daughter slow and exquisite like to solidify her standing in the town, to live the rest of her life with always being talked about, having all the sympathy to herself. Amma and her friends killed those particular girls because they sought personal attention from Adora.

I was extremely disappointed by the shock jock ending that was deliberate and felt cheap and showed moronic writing.

This was never a true detective story, this was always about Camille and her journey to return and face her (literal) demons, find peace and forgiveness within for not being able to save her sister and possibly being able to be capable of living a positive life after.

The show should've finished with Camille having the psychotic breakdown after Amma was found to murder yet another girl, have her Editor kindly adopt her and help her recover through love, hope and compassion.

Having the violent three second cut scene of Amma's rage and delight was not necessary. It was chilling enough that she had killed other girls, it was FAR more important to have Camille's ending solidified.

....one of intense pain and resolution and hope.