The Cleon Peterson Beauty In Brutality thread

General art-related discussion.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Needs moar penetration.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:53 pm

nomdeguerre wrote:Henry, we’re on the same page. Is that one for sale somewhere? I want this on my desk:

He just posted about the top one on IG, probably contact the other galleries or check his IG feed for info on other figures/statues. Is that #NEEDSMOARPENETRATION stature from his Denver show?
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:27 am

TOTM wrote:From what I've seen, Whalen likes to experiment, challenge himself & his audience... Peterson, nice as it is, not so much!
I would disagree with you on the "challenge himself" point. Cleon's work is predictable from an aesthetic sense, but he has been undertaking bigger and bigger projects and shows in the past few years.

He's the first person to have painted a mural under the Eiffel Tower, for example. This would be the pinnacle of most artists' careers. As intimidating as that is, he also had to step out of his comfort zone and produce an image that was not violent. If that's not challenging yourself, I'm not sure what is.

Not sure how familiar you are with his history, but he comes from a family of artists. He began painting at a very young age (completely different imagery back then, of course; mostly landscapes). He formally studied graphic design and that has greatly helped shape his compositions, but he's always had a strong painting background.

If you look closely, you will see that his imagery has developed quite a bit over the last decade or so and translates very well across multiple mediums (murals, prints, paintings, sculptures, figures, apparel, even sailboats!). Combine that with museum and gallery shows worldwide (the U.S., Europe and Asia) and you have a really special artist at hand.

Also, I'm not sure what your definition of "fine art" is, but my understanding is that it's art that is solely created to be appreciated on grounds of aesthetics, beauty and/or intellectual value. Step into one of his museum shows and stand in front of one of his sculptures or large scale paintings and let me know what you feel/think.
SwampButt
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:09 am

Are you his shadow agent or what?
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:19 am

I know that cynicism is rampant in this day and age, but no, I'm just speaking my mind and providing support for my comments/viewpoints. You know, like how a civilized forum is supposed to be.

I like to do my research on artists that hold my interest and keep a close eye on their progression.
SwampButt
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:55 am

His stuff on the last few pages looks like the exact same motif as the first damn page
bubbie
Art Expert

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 am

SwampButt wrote:Are you his Babbs?
Fixed.

On a serious note, I think his work is pretty great and I love most of it. I have three of his prints but none framed (one damaged). He will get on my walls though, I am sure.

As for the "fine art"... Luls. What the drymount is "fine art"?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:32 am

bubbie wrote:What the drymount is "fine art"?
6 figs and up.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:36 am

The guy has done museum-quality shows all over the world. He doesn't need me or anyone else to be his "Babbs". I am providing my feedback in a thread about the artist. Can we talk about the art/artist for a change as opposed to always being cynical and resorting to name calling, thinking about ulterior motives, or trying to one up each other with insults/put downs? It's tiring and unproductive.
SwampButt wrote:His stuff on the last few pages looks like the exact same motif as the first damn page
It's quite typical for people to look at a consistent theme and say "they all look the same." Here are some images over the last 10 years. I spent a few minutes to put together this collage. The figures don't look nearly the same now versus the early years. In his early paintings, his figures were skinnier and often clothed. He later stripped his figures down (literally) to show cleaner forms and made them more full/muscular, as he felt like they conveyed emotion/aggression/body language more effectively. Uniforms have returned for his latest show as they were needed to convey the visual narrative of his latest body of work. He likes to work with 2-3 colors because that is all he needs to get his message across. His consistent color palette is also another common reason why some folks tend to think that all his work looks the same. I'm not setting up straw-man arguments; these are common criticisms I've heard of his work and it personally drives me nuts, because it tells me that (some) people are only taking in a very "surface" view of his work.

Sure, if you're mostly familiar with his print releases over the last couple of years, you might be justified in thinking that, but if you take a long term view of his career, the progression is evident. After viewing the below, if you still think all his work looks the same, then I really can't help you.

Regarding my "fine art" comment, I only brought it up because someone else mentioned it a page or so ago and I wanted to weigh in.

fredo
Art God

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:11 am

Codeblue wrote:
bubbie wrote:What the drymount is "fine art"?
6 figs and up.
Black+Red+Moss
or
When ya see it ya know it

Tend to agree that this guy's stuff is pretty nice design-wise and I got no issues with a theme, but it's not like heavy lifting or heavily affecting to me.
just a foil for me today, thanks
bootstrut
Art Expert

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 am

I agree with bulkhead, Cleon has shown a lot of stylistic progression over the years while staying true to his overall message. Beyond canvas & print work, he's explored so many other avenues including apparel, furniture, large and small scale statues, and painting murals around the world.
soam24
Art Freak

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:18 am

Went to the show in Denver. The statutes were well done, aside from that. Meh. .02
toobs
Art Expert

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 am

bootstrut wrote:I agree with bulkhead, Cleon has shown a lot of stylistic progression over the years while staying true to his overall message. Beyond canvas & print work, he's explored so many other avenues including apparel, furniture, large and small scale statues, and painting murals around the world.
agreed, he's for sure evolved through out the years, I was never a big fan of his early stuff but have gotten into him over the last 5 years or so once he dumbed down his work and made it less about an overall scene and more of a design/pattern. Of course subject matter and color pallets have stayed consistent through out the years but a huge majority of fine artist work that way.
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
SwampButt
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Sailboats are SHRN
jordanonthereg
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Huf collab up

Grabbed the black tie dye

https://www.hufworldwide.com/huf_en_us/ ... n-peterson