Framing Help/Advice Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
peacedog
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:57 am

Chris217h wrote:Does anyone know where I can find black core suede mats?
Crescent Matboard makes them. Anyone who carries Crescent should have them.
Chris217h
Art Enthusiast

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:48 pm

peacedog wrote:
Chris217h wrote:Does anyone know where I can find black core suede mats?
Crescent Matboard makes them. Anyone who carries Crescent should have them.
Thanks I've been looking and couldn't find any Guess I'll have to look harder
Anthaihero
New User

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:04 am

Hi all,

First post here. Looking for some feedback on framing. I have a number of wooden belmont frames from Michael's for my 36x24 prints. I have since replaced the backs with foam archival backing boards. My next plan is to get some UV plexi to replace the factory stuff. My wall space is super limited and most of my prints will be stored flat in a portfolio. Prints will be under an LED light with no direct sunlight. I have a few questions:

1. How thick backing should it be? Can someone please provide specs to quality, thickness, link, etc? What I have is super thick and I'm not sure it's right.

2. Does anyone have specs and link on a cost effective UV that isn't going to break the bank? I have a local tapplastics, but again the size, thickness, type are all foreign to me.

3. Would spacers be an option on a regular non-custom frame like a belmont? I'm assuming this would impact the backing thickness.

4. Is there a step by step or 101 guide to help a rookie like myself?
bran
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Hey All, can anyone give me an estimate on drymounting a roughly 33" x 67" poster, and yes I said drymounting?! Or a rough estimate on putting a linen backing on that? Thanks!
geezer
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:31 pm

peacedog
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:49 pm

bran wrote:Hey All, can anyone give me an estimate on drymounting a roughly 33" x 67" poster, and yes I said drymounting?! Or a rough estimate on putting a linen backing on that? Thanks!
There is a big difference between those two things. I believe Poster Mountain can linen back a piece. Drymounting is going to vary dependent on what your intention is. If it needs to hang on the wall by itself you're going to need 1/2" foamcore or it's going to warp on you. If it's going into a frame or you plan on buckling it down in several places you can use 3/16" foamcore. If it needs to stand up to some wear and tear you might want to upgrade to gatorboard. This is definitely oversized.
bran
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:13 am

peacedog wrote:
bran wrote:Hey All, can anyone give me an estimate on drymounting a roughly 33" x 67" poster, and yes I said drymounting?! Or a rough estimate on putting a linen backing on that? Thanks!
There is a big difference between those two things. I believe Poster Mountain can linen back a piece. Drymounting is going to vary dependent on what your intention is. If it needs to hang on the wall by itself you're going to need 1/2" foamcore or it's going to warp on you. If it's going into a frame or you plan on buckling it down in several places you can use 3/16" foamcore. If it needs to stand up to some wear and tear you might want to upgrade to gatorboard. This is definitely oversized.
Thanks Peacedog and Geezer! As much as I'd like to do the linen backing, that's way too much for what is needed on this. Basically, the looking that I'm trying to achieve is as flat and as seamless as possible. It will be going into a frame (I'm making it) with plexi, I'm not worried about the value of the item at all either. Peacedog, with that in mind and trying to keep cost as low as possible, what would you recommend? Thanks again everybody, this place rocks!
logan080502
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Anyone know the best place to get an oversized mat to custom frame a Horkey?
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Sun May 13, 2018 6:03 pm

How do you frame metal and wood prints?
jayper
Art Expert

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Looking for a tie breaker. I am torn between two designs and I was curious if anyone had thoughts.

Option 1:
- Float
- 0.5" shadow box

Option 2:
- Float
- 8 Ply mat, 0.25" from the print
- 0.5" shadow box
- Top mat (8 ply) will be the same color as the bottom mat. The color in the photo is wrong, only there to show depth and layout.

EG8
Art Expert

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:08 am

I personally like option 1 because of the size of the work it makes for a skinnier frame assembly in general. Looks good, I like the texture on that wood frame.
Image Image Image
jayper
Art Expert

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Does anyone have thoughts around the largest a piece can be framed safely without mounting it?

I have a few 30" x 30" pieces that I was considering buying a frame and occasionally swapping them out.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm no expert, but it's heavily dependent on the paper.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
kidcloudkiker
New User

Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:19 pm

I have a question about framing a 27x40 movie poster. I just want to frame this in a basic black wood frame without a top/window mat. Do I need to worry about keeping this off the acrylic? If I use spacers is it ok for the spacers to touch the poster on the edges? Lastly, how should I hinge this to the back mat board.

My concern is that since its such a large print on very lightweight flimsy movie poster paper, that if it isn't mounted correctly it will sag or become wavy.

Any tips would be appreciated.

For reference the poster is the 2004 Oscars promo poster by Burton Morris. Not really worth anything buts its signed and personalized to my wife. I just want it to look nice and remain that way.
golobulus
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:41 pm

kidcloudkiker wrote:I have a question about framing a 27x40 movie poster. I just want to frame this in a basic black wood frame without a top/window mat. Do I need to worry about keeping this off the acrylic? If I use spacers is it ok for the spacers to touch the poster on the edges? Lastly, how should I hinge this to the back mat board.

My concern is that since its such a large print on very lightweight flimsy movie poster paper, that if it isn't mounted correctly it will sag or become wavy.

Any tips would be appreciated.

For reference the poster is the 2004 Oscars promo poster by Burton Morris. Not really worth anything buts its signed and personalized to my wife. I just want it to look nice and remain that way.
You may be interested in the movie poster frames from spotlightdisplays:

http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/

I don't have any direct experience with them but other members of EB seem to be very happy with them. There was a thread about these at some point...