Random Posts & Chaos

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
gorkie
Art Freak

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:19 pm

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
Jasper73
Art Expert

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:23 pm

Forget speed, Sometimes it's the oldguard that can do the coolest things.
ImageT.K.C.
IWish
Art Expert

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:12 pm

That plane looks like it was used on an aircraft carrier/Naval. You can see the hook on the tail. Talk about awesome piloting... them Naval pilots.

We have an Air Force Base, here in Tucson. I love going to their airshows held there every couple of years. I love seeing the old ( and new) aircraft. You can stroll through the aircrafts/sit in the pilot seat...those cargo planes are HUGE. Also, the scenery is fabulous - so many good looking military personnel. :groucho:

The stealth bomber was there one time and they were selling their squadron t-shirts. I bought one for a coworker for his birthday. Many months later, he wore it into the office and it still looked brand new. I asked him why it still looked so new...did he never wear it? He told me that he loved the shirt so much that he never launders it...he has it dry-cleaned. LOL.

The same year the stealth was at the airshow. My sister told me that she saw it in the air. (They do practices over the city prior to the shows.) Anyway, she told me that she was FREAKED-OUT - she thought it was an UFO. It flew over my house, I knew to keep an ear-out/listen for aircraft near overhead and I heard it. I was standing outside my house looking up at it...I kept exclaiming, Oh my god...oh, my god...it was a great experience. They are HUGE, too...compared to fighter craft.
fredo
Art God

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:19 pm

It's crazy seeing the stealths in person. One flew up the Hudson river over 4th of July 2000. It was scary.

On a related note I worked on a drill rig next to the runway at an air station when they were still flying F-14s. They'd come in low overhead and completely, utterly drown out the rig. So loud...and much bigger than you'd think! Everybody who works on a carrier deck ends up with a full hearing disability check when they retire.
just a foil for me today, thanks
IWish
Art Expert

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:34 pm

Oh, man... you're not kidding, fredo. I wasn't scared, but I get what you're sayin'. They don't look like something from our world...alien looking. It was one of the greatest moments of my life.

Yep. The fighters are intensely loud. Shortly after the 9-11 disaster, a local AFB pilot did a low fly-by over our neighborhood. Now, I'm not one to panic in disaster situations, I sorta' go into take-charge mode. Anyway, let me tell you...when he made that fly-by and I could hear the engine...I was simultaneously getting closer to the floor as the engine grew louder. So help me...I thought for sure we were being attacked. It was an unscheduled fly-by, (I don't remember the pilots reasons), he got into trouble big time for that.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:25 am

When I took the test for entry into the Air Force, I qualified for aircraft mechanics training. That would have been my job. I didn't enlist, for reasons I won't go into. To this day, I still have regrets. It worked out because, eventually, it became necessary for me to take my 12 yr. old sister to live with me. I was 19 yrs. old at the time.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:24 am

100% agree with the stealth bomber looking alien. Only seen it fly overhead once, but that was absolutely what went through my head.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:53 am

gorkie
Art Freak

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:28 am

China's new stealth fighter uses powerful materials with geometry not found in nature
Metamaterials can make the J-20 an extra stealthy electromagnetic force.

https://www.popsci.com/chinas-new-steal ... amaterials
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:01 pm

That's a technical article, gorkie, half of which goes right over my head. I gather the material serves to cloak from radar type detection? Unfortunately, it isn't likely we'll see cloaking technology in our lifetime. (Klingon vessel type cloaking.) I believe the experts say there will never be true invisible cloaking. It will be more like making things transparent...barely perceptible, but movement/waves can still be seen.

A former boss of mine is a physicist and, occasionally, I'd ask him really stupid questions. (Mostly tongue in cheek.) I asked him if transporting humans, (like Star Trek transporters), will ever be possible. He reminded me that there are...like...millions of cells in one square inch of human skin...not to mention all the other things contained within. He said it would take a stack of quantum computers 2-stories high to do something like that and isn't likely. Too bad.

If it were possible, would the replicated human form really be the same person? Or, would the original be forever destroyed in the process and the replicated individual becomes Version-I...Version-2 etc. upon subsequent transports?
chaeldub
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:07 am

IWish wrote: A former boss of mine is a physicist and, occasionally, I'd ask him really stupid questions. (Mostly tongue in cheek.) I asked him if transporting humans, (like Star Trek transporters), will ever be possible. He reminded me that there are...like...millions of cells in one square inch of human skin...not to mention all the other things contained within. He said it would take a stack of quantum computers 2-stories high to do something like that and isn't likely. Too bad.

If it were possible, would the replicated human form really be the same person? Or, would the original be forever destroyed in the process and the replicated individual becomes Version-I...Version-2 etc. upon subsequent transports?
See: The Prestige and Tesla's Machine.
IWish
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:00 am

Oh-h-h-h...I remember that movie. It's been years. Thanks for the reminder...I need to do a rewatch.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:52 am

Finally caught something interesting on dashcam :)

Worst nightmare while driving on freeway to have hood flip up, grey car in lane next to me. Luckily car behind was a ways away and wide shoulder to pull over on.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:35 pm

IWish wrote:That's a technical article, gorkie, half of which goes right over my head. I gather the material serves to cloak from radar type detection? Unfortunately, it isn't likely we'll see cloaking technology in our lifetime. (Klingon vessel type cloaking.) I believe the experts say there will never be true invisible cloaking. It will be more like making things transparent...barely perceptible, but movement/waves can still be seen.

A former boss of mine is a physicist and, occasionally, I'd ask him really stupid questions. (Mostly tongue in cheek.) I asked him if transporting humans, (like Star Trek transporters), will ever be possible. He reminded me that there are...like...millions of cells in one square inch of human skin...not to mention all the other things contained within. He said it would take a stack of quantum computers 2-stories high to do something like that and isn't likely. Too bad.

STNG explored the idea of if the person on the other end was the same after transport - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Ch ... eneration) and Breaking Bad could not account for all of us
, so I would have to be like Dr. McCoy and avoid transporters all together...
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
IWish
Art Expert

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:19 pm

Awesome! I just barely read the first couple of lines about STNG episode - don't want to get spoiled. I'm sure that I watched it when it originally aired, but I forgot all of the details. Gonna' watch that later tonight. I have ginger ale, whiskey and some cherries. Gonna' have my Holiday Highball while watching. Thanks! :pint: