All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
davemfan
Art Expert

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:19 pm

If i were you I would really consider a pellet smoker. Pellet smokers use wood pellets and you're cooking / smoking your food with real (compressed) wood. You literally dial in the desired cooking temp and the hopper / cooker feeds itself whenever it needs more pellets. Obviously you always have to have pellets on hand to do your smoking / cooking, which may be a PIA to you. Idk. Lowes carries Pit Boss pellet smokers in the $350-600 range. Pellet smokers are also the cleanest burning fire you'll have without tending to it all day.

I never really understood the electric smokers. They are essentially an oven and you add a few wood chips to give off the smokey flavor.

Everyone will have their own thought / opinions. I'm sure you'll like anything you end up with.
I'm actually giving serious thought to getting a pellet smoker myself.

On a side note, if you end up deciding on a pellet smoker make sure you research what pellets you use. Some are made with glues / binders. Get ones that are all wood.
ImageImageImage
pvecchi
Art Expert

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:32 am

davemfan wrote:If i were you I would really consider a pellet smoker. Pellet smokers use wood pellets and you're cooking / smoking your food with real (compressed) wood. You literally dial in the desired cooking temp and the hopper / cooker feeds itself whenever it needs more pellets. Obviously you always have to have pellets on hand to do your smoking / cooking, which may be a PIA to you. Idk. Lowes carries Pit Boss pellet smokers in the $350-600 range. Pellet smokers are also the cleanest burning fire you'll have without tending to it all day.

I never really understood the electric smokers. They are essentially an oven and you add a few wood chips to give off the smokey flavor.

Everyone will have their own thought / opinions. I'm sure you'll like anything you end up with.
I'm actually giving serious thought to getting a pellet smoker myself.

On a side note, if you end up deciding on a pellet smoker make sure you research what pellets you use. Some are made with glues / binders. Get ones that are all wood.
Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it (I’m completely new to smoking besides a few times on a Weber, which was a pita)

Would this be a better option than the electric I posted? I’m sure I’ll be happy with whatever I get compared with now (which is nothing) as you said

https://www.amazon.com/Traeger-TFB42LZB ... lzbc&psc=1
davemfan
Art Expert

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:21 am

pvecchi wrote:
Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it (I’m completely new to smoking besides a few times on a Weber, which was a pita)

Would this be a better option than the electric I posted? I’m sure I’ll be happy with whatever I get compared with now (which is nothing) as you said

https://www.amazon.com/Traeger-TFB42LZB ... lzbc&psc=1
As I mentioned, I would opt for a pellet smoker before I would buy an electric. Rec-tec, traeger, pit boss are all brands within your budget. You can Google to learn more about them. If you live by a Lowe's they carry Pit Boss. Walmart even carries a brand too but I forget what it is off the top of my head. Looks like the one you posted is above or at the top of your budget. I know rec-tec has a big following. Pellet smokers are pretty much all the same except the controller (brains) and thickness of metal. Some have neat options, you just have to look. I've personally been looking at the Grilla Grills Silverback. They have a customer ran Facebook group. The owner and engineer of Grilla are very active on it should you have any questions. I've also heard their customer service is second to none.

Good luck in your search. Let us know what you end up with.
ImageImageImage
kansasbbq
Art God

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 am

davemfan wrote: Good luck in your search. Let us know what you end up with.
Yes, please do.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:54 pm

As a thank-you gift for my sister and bro-in-law, I made a BBQ rub and put it in a sugar dispenser. I thought it was a great idea and inexpensive - bought everything from the dollar store. The sugar dispenser is glass - which is nice, but the lid is a bit thin/on the cheap side. It's the thought that counts, right?

Anyway, I thought a few of you might want to use this idea for dispensing a variety of pre-made flavored rubs for housewarming gifts, etc.

davemfan
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Awesome man. What'd you put in the rub?
ImageImageImage
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:01 pm

I bought a container of the Steakhouse seasoning at the dollar store as a base to start with. It smells so good and I can't wait to try it. There are a lot of different spices in the Steakhouse seasoning, but they don't list them all on the label. So, I can't provide a list for them. I see red pepper flakes and lots of seeds...maybe sesame, mustard...can't identify them all?

Since the one container of Steakhouse seasoning wasn't enough to fill the dispenser, I added the following to make-up the difference:

1/2 teaspoon powdered cayenne pepper (they like spicy foods)
garlic salt (to taste - of course, you can use garlic powder, instead)
onion powder (to taste)
parsley flakes (enough for added color)
paprika (to taste)

Brown sugar can be added for pork or chicken rubs. Adding brown sugar to the rubs makes pork/chicken delicious!

andruw000
Art Expert

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:04 pm

jmagee87 wrote:Jumped on the pellet grill bandwagon this past week. Got a RecTec Mini from a buddy. This thing is amazing. Easily the best thing I've done outdoor cooking on. Smoked a pork butt and some tenderloins this week as well as grilled some brats and sausage. Super versatile grill/smoker.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image
Looks awesome. How do this handle steaks and burgers? Considering purchasing a pellet grill, but unsure about the max temps for some meats. Don't have room for multiple grills/smokers.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:12 pm

That looks great Jesse.

I'm gonna smoke up some stuff tomorrow. Stay tuned.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:21 am

home made venison sausages and kransky's, and some beef burgers

wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:37 am

Just bought one steak of this sher 9+ wagyu... Can't wait.

piper27
Art Expert

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:56 am

wow look at the marbling on that :drool: :drool: :drool:
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
ToonKiller
Art Expert

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:55 am

IWish
Art Expert

Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 am

My BIL's review of the ^ spice rub posted, above. If you're new to BBQ-ing using the rub I posted is a good place to start.
HisBobness
Art Expert

Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:22 pm

wottagunn wrote:Just bought one steak of this sher 9+ wagyu... Can't wait.

That looks amazing. I'll be enjoying my first A9 wagyu steak from BOA in September. I tend to treat myself well beyond my means once a year and this year it's gonna be a $100 piece of steak. Couldn't be happier about it.