What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 am

SUSPIRIA

A great film analysis that went scene-by-scene dissecting what each frame meant. It also provided some throught provoking theories such as does this story take place in the real world or is it a fairy-tale? Another short book coming in at only 88 pages. I wish it would have went longer as I enjoyed this one more than the HALLOWEEN analysis I last read. Not a bad case study at all if you're a fan of the film although be warned, a lot of the text deconstructs the lighting in great depth!
RadRacing
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Just starting this. Hadn't realized it was a graphic novel before the film. Took me a minute to track down a copy (ordered one from the UK). Better be worth it!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:58 pm

RadRacing wrote:Image

Just starting this. Hadn't realized it was a graphic novel before the film. Took me a minute to track down a copy (ordered one from the UK). Better be worth it!
it's a pretty solid GN; think it originally came out from Paradox Press in the US - they put out a ton of great stuff.
Jasper73
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:07 pm

ImageT.K.C.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 pm

Irishman12 wrote:Image

SUSPIRIA

A great film analysis that went scene-by-scene dissecting what each frame meant. It also provided some throught provoking theories such as does this story take place in the real world or is it a fairy-tale? Another short book coming in at only 88 pages. I wish it would have went longer as I enjoyed this one more than the HALLOWEEN analysis I last read. Not a bad case study at all if you're a fan of the film although be warned, a lot of the text deconstructs the lighting in great depth!
Everything Alexandra Heller-Nicholas does is great. I highly recommend following her on twitter (I believe her handle is SuspiriaAlex). She also does some great audio commentaries alongside Lee Gambin. Check out the Carrie release.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:14 pm

DonPiano wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:Image

SUSPIRIA

Everything Alexandra Heller-Nicholas does is great. I highly recommend following her on twitter (I believe her handle is SuspiriaAlex). She also does some great audio commentaries alongside Lee Gambin. Check out the Carrie release.
Sweet, thanks for the recommendation. The Carrie book is already on my want list, as is The Shining and Scream (REALLY looking forward to this as SCREAM is one of my favorite films of all time)! Lately I've been getting into these film study/analysis books. I've been following The Devil's Advocate series on Facebook as I've purchased two of their novels recently (HALLOWEEN and SUSPIRIA). And as I mentioned their Carrie, The Shining and Scream books are on my list. Another series I stummbled across is below, Cultographies. In addition to MS. 45, next month they're releasing an analysis of I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (which I'll be purchasing), plus THE SHINING. Speaking of which...

MS. 45

My second time reading Alexandra Heller-Nicholas' work (the above mentioned SUSPIRIA being my first) and I wasn't as impressed the second time around. I do enjoy how she sets her books up: chapter 1 deals with the groundwork for how the film got made: script, casting, locations, etc., chapter 2 deals with a scene-by-scene analysis and chapter 3 deals with the films release and legacy. With this book being so steeped in gender roles/feminism, I felt she would sometimes go off on tangents that would last a few pages before getting back on topic. Furthermore, she reference the 2014 Alamo Drafthouse Bluray/DVD release that housed a few special features. The special features were enjoyable, albeit a little thin in my opinion. Already having seen these, she referenced them a lot and as such, don't know if that's due to laziness on her part, difficulty in finding quoteable material for her book, or because the information was just that valuable. But having seen and heard these recently, I was disappointed in how much she relied on them for this book. I will give her credit however that she was able to pull material for Zoe Tamerlis Lund, which was a nice balance to the disagreements over who wrote what between her and director Abel Ferrara. For those who don't know, star Zoe Tamerlis Lund died in 1999 due to heart failure caused by drug abuse so finding interviews conducted before her death with which to pull quotes from could present a problem. Overall, not a bad book, just not as enjoyable as her first that I read but I would definitely read more of her work.
ricv64
Art Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 pm

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:11 pm

Nice Chris Mars cover; Titled "Puppeteer" (2003)

(P.S. Your signature is still messed up :wink: )
So it goes...
fredo
Art God

Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:04 pm

just a foil for me today, thanks
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:42 pm

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

Author David Maguire does a great job at looking past the unpleasantness of this film and give's a thought-provoking book about the many ways this film can be viewed: as pure exploitation, as a feminist film, as a tantalizing male fantasy, or as social commentary that some men of the time were feeling threatened by independent, sexually confident women after the wave of feminism that came during the 1960s & 1970s. It also discusses how the film was marketed, banned/censored in some countries (in the UK during the 1980s for example during the "video nasties" period) and even at times retitled to avoid censorship (the film has been known under other titles such as DAY OF THE WOMAN, I HATE YOUR GUTS and THE RAPE AND REVENGE OF JENNIFER HILL). While the film and book deal with this uneasy subject, I feel they both ask society important questions about rape. During the time the film was made, victims of rape were still being blamed based upon what they wore, how they acted, what part of town she was in, etc. The book also deals with its legacy and how it was a trailblazer for the rape-revenge subgenre as well as the remake and sequels its sparked in recent years (the remake was made in 2010, with the first sequel coming in 2013 and the second sequel in 2015). Rumor has it the director of the original, Meir Zarchi, is actually making and releasing an official sequel this year to commemorate the release of the original entitled: I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE: DEJA VU.
Creation88
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:20 pm

finished Ready Player One which was pretty good and American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West which was fascinating if you're a nature lover. both were on Audible.
meskell
Art Expert

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Crushed this in three days. Granted it's pretty short and larger type. But, man, the balls on this chick!
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
haven
Art Expert

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:59 pm

Loved this.

iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:07 am

haven wrote:Loved this.

Only related as it is also critically acclaimed WW2 fiction (admittedly not as acclaimed as ATLWCS), but have you read Orringer's The Invisible Bridge? I enjoyed it a lot more than ATLWCS; but I was not personally that blown away by ATLWCS, though that could have been driven by my reading it at the height of its awards hype.
SAJPosters
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:30 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:
haven wrote:Loved this.

Only related as it is also critically acclaimed WW2 fiction (admittedly not as acclaimed as ATLWCS), but have you read Orringer's The Invisible Bridge? I enjoyed it a lot more than ATLWCS; but I was not personally that blown away by ATLWCS, though that could have been driven by my reading it at the height of its awards hype.

So you let "awards hype" affect your enjoyment of a book? What a tool.