EB Houston

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby rubberneck on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:16 am

mike123230 wrote:Anyone ever get something framed at the Antiquarium? The woman that I really liked at Village Frame Gallery is the head framer there now, so was curious if anyone had been there.

Wasn't on my radar, but I did get something framed at VFG and was very happy with it. They also packed it up like a champ when I had to check it, for bringing overseas.

I'm loving their navigation and chronological instruments btw, espc this one:

I bought something similar albeit less expensive for my brother when he became commander on a vessel a few years back. I just love the craft and detail in old analog instrumentation. It's an art form in itself. :drool:
rubberneck
Art God

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:17 pm

2001 unrestored opens Friday at Edward's Greenway Grand Palace. Highly recommended - you've never seen 2001 like this before...

Fingers crossed they project it right. That theater is notorious for projection issues. I'm pretty sure they left the 3D lens on the camera when I saw Solo making it darker than it should've been. (Wasn't the first time...)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm

RottenAtom wrote:2001 unrestored opens Friday at Edward's Greenway Grand Palace. Highly recommended - you've never seen 2001 like this before...

Fingers crossed they project it right. That theater is notorious for projection issues. I'm pretty sure they left the 3D lens on the camera when I saw Solo making it darker than it should've been. (Wasn't the first time...)

Thanks for the heads up! I just saw this announced recently. I'm going to try to check it out this weekend. Any idea how long it's going to be there? They only have tickets out for a week. Wasn't sure if that was the exact runtime of it or not?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:2001 unrestored opens Friday at Edward's Greenway Grand Palace. Highly recommended - you've never seen 2001 like this before...

Thanks for the heads up! I just saw this announced recently. I'm going to try to check it out this weekend. Any idea how long it's going to be there? They only have tickets out for a week. Wasn't sure if that was the exact runtime of it or not?

I'm not sure how long it will be in town, but I would recommend going sooner rather than later in case they scratch/damage the print.

My guess is that they only show it for a week. Ticket prices are usual price, which is nice. In NYC they were $20 a pop.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby iwokeinrelief on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:33 pm

I wish Dallas would just go ahead and get a screening scheduled...
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:41 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:

I'm not sure how long it will be in town, but I would recommend going sooner rather than later in case they scratch/damage the print.

My guess is that they only show it for a week. Ticket prices are usual price, which is nice. In NYC they were $20 a pop.

Yeah I just checked online and it's about $10 and change without fees and taxes. I'm going to shoot for a Saturday showing. Worst case, Sunday.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby rubberneck on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Sweet, I may just pop in for a viewing over the weekend also. :pint:
rubberneck
Art God

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:13 am

I saw it yesterday at Edwards Greenway and the film looked darker than it should (at least the white colors did). Still an enjoyable experience, just wish the footage was a little bit better. It did include the overture and a 15 minute intermission. I love viewing classics the way they were originally viewed!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:46 am

^I caught it on Saturday. Didn't look dark, but the focus wasn't quite as sharp as when I saw it in NYC. Super chill crowd with no distractions. Glad we ended up getting it.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:08 pm

RottenAtom wrote:^I caught it on Saturday. Didn't look dark, but the focus wasn't quite as sharp as when I saw it in NYC. Super chill crowd with no distractions. Glad we ended up getting it.

Did you see it at Edwards Greenway? There was maybe a dozen of us in my showing.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:^I caught it on Saturday. Didn't look dark, but the focus wasn't quite as sharp as when I saw it in NYC. Super chill crowd with no distractions. Glad we ended up getting it.

Did you see it at Edwards Greenway? There was maybe a dozen of us in my showing.

Yep, as far as I know it's the only place in Houston that projects 70mm. And the building the theater is in is up for sale so who knows if it'll even stay open...

It wasn't super packed at the screening I saw, but everybody was respectful. I saw it on opening day in NYC and the crowd was very enthusiastic and into it. Folks were carrying on when HAL was making all those funny comments. Even though they were total opposites, both were good crowds in their own way.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Anybody free to PB the Woodson Solaris reg for me today? Gonna be in a meeting I can't shake.

(if so, please let me know)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby rubberneck on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Houston Is the New Capital Of Southern Cool

We’ve been hearing the buzz for a few years now: Houston may, sneakily, be America’s best food city. But when we sent GQ food critic Brett Martin to dive into the scene, we realized that was selling the city way short

https://www.gq.com/story/houston-restau ... thern-cool

Hype!
rubberneck
Art God

Previous

Return to Anything Goes