World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Danno1
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2018 6:57 pm

electrachrome wrote:
Danno1 wrote:I would also add if anyone really wants to delve into the KY Bourbon Trail, avoid weekends. Do it during the week and hunt for bourbon at the stores throughout the state on Fri-Sat-Sun.
little tip I read this weekend, when hunting in KY check out pharmacies for whiskey. Apparently it's an old loophole from prohibition days.

I didn't know that. And I have been to a few drug stores down there, mom and pops and chains. Never saw any or bothered to look I guess. I have seen a few framed prescriptions from prohibition over the years.

Was disappointed to not see a single Four Roses private barrel, not a one. Liquor Barn usually has them all, need another OESV.
stay thirsty my friends
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue May 08, 2018 11:35 am

Did the bourbon trail a few weeks ago for a bachelor party and had a blast. Not really much worth grabbing at the actual distilleries, but the tastings were super fun. I like getting a little behind the scenes and history. Plus, everything is dirt cheap down there in terms of food, housing, etc.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 08, 2018 11:41 am

63schoeffling wrote:Did the bourbon trail a few weeks ago for a bachelor party and had a blast. Not really much worth grabbing at the actual distilleries, but the tastings were super fun. I like getting a little behind the scenes and history. Plus, everything is dirt cheap down there in terms of food, housing, etc.
Nice, how long did it take you? Can you get to the main distilleries in a day?

Guys and I have talked about doing the trail and seeing a NASCAR race. Not race fans but hear it is an experience so why not.
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed May 09, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm about to go grab a bottle of EH Taylor Four Grain. Pretty excited about that. I loved the bottle of Single Barrel I went through a couple months back.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed May 09, 2018 1:40 pm

chevyav53 wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:Did the bourbon trail a few weeks ago for a bachelor party and had a blast. Not really much worth grabbing at the actual distilleries, but the tastings were super fun. I like getting a little behind the scenes and history. Plus, everything is dirt cheap down there in terms of food, housing, etc.
Nice, how long did it take you? Can you get to the main distilleries in a day?

Guys and I have talked about doing the trail and seeing a NASCAR race. Not race fans but hear it is an experience so why not.
We only hit Woodford, Buffalo Trace and Four Roses the one day... hired a driver/shuttle for the 10 of us. The next day we went to some local place that doesn't distribute or anything but it was really cool. Just a guy with a bunch of barrels in a large garage/workshop type place and you sample straight out of the barrels. It was called Three Boys Farm Distillery.

Went into Lexington the other day for the horse racing. Overall a great trip.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 09, 2018 2:43 pm

jjbehren wrote:I'm about to go grab a bottle of EH Taylor Four Grain.
lucky lucky
that's a toughie
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed May 09, 2018 3:10 pm

padelimike wrote:
jjbehren wrote:I'm about to go grab a bottle of EH Taylor Four Grain.
lucky lucky
that's a toughie
The store drymounting sold my bottle... Grrr...

Oh well. I've got plenty of other good stuff
Danno1
Art Expert

Wed May 23, 2018 7:23 pm

I won a purchase option on a bottle of Elijah Craig BP for $59.98 at a local in northern KY. Pick it up Sunday, can't wait, never had it and love the EC regular.
stay thirsty my friends
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed May 23, 2018 7:46 pm

Danno1 wrote:I won a purchase option on a bottle of Elijah Craig BP for $59.98 at a local in northern KY. Pick it up Sunday, can't wait, never had it and love the EC regular.
They just dropped a bunch of the B batch from last year around me. Tempted to pick up another bottle. The B batch was the one that won Whisky of the Year
mtarail
Art Expert

Wed May 23, 2018 10:11 pm

Just picked up a bottle of this, but I haven't popped it yet. Big fan of the regular Stranahans. Anyone tried it yet?
fredo
Art God

Wed May 23, 2018 11:17 pm

I'm interested to hear about it!
Will trade you the last drop of this stuff I have left.
just a foil for me today, thanks
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2018 8:01 am

jjbehren wrote:
Danno1 wrote:I won a purchase option on a bottle of Elijah Craig BP for $59.98 at a local in northern KY. Pick it up Sunday, can't wait, never had it and love the EC regular.
They just dropped a bunch of the B batch from last year around me. Tempted to pick up another bottle. The B batch was the one that won Whisky of the Year
I love this stuff. I’m on my last bottle so hopefully another batch isn’t too far behind.
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu May 24, 2018 3:42 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
jjbehren wrote:
I love this stuff. I’m on my last bottle so hopefully another batch isn’t too far behind.
Check you shop. This was a second drop of the 2017 B batch. It had a tag hanging off of it that said "Whisky of the Year."
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2018 3:54 pm

jjbehren wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:
jjbehren wrote:
Check you shop. This was a second drop of the 2017 B batch. It had a tag hanging off of it that said "Whisky of the Year."
I mean I picked up a bottle like 2 weeks ago at my spot, lol. My bottle is almost gone.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun May 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Went to pick up my lottery option and hit up TPS first to see if the Four Roses Private Barrel OESV had landed, well it did 2 weeks ago and the whole barrel was sold the day it hit the shelves. Crazy, last one was on the shelf for a good while, everyone must have enjoyed it as much as me.

The EC BP is batch A118. Psyched to finally get one.

stay thirsty my friends