Beer - trading & discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
HisBobness
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Baker wrote:One of my friends here loves Lambic's. He's single, no kids, so when cheap tickets pop up for Belgium he buys them and will just go by himself for a few days drinking bottles and then fill his suitcase with whatever he finds to trade when he gets back. He also has a 99 sticker LPK that im hoping im around when he pops it, that bottle not only was gorgeous but super tasty.
That's a a friend to keep around, that's for true. Maybe he knows the answer to this: Why does Cantillon mostly bottle with green glass when their beers will age for up to 20 years? Darker the glass = less light, better aging. Whereas here, I hardly ever see green glass. Always brown.
rhythmgtr5
Art Expert

Sat May 05, 2018 12:59 am

Green glass helps to build the funk.
kansasbbq
Art God

Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 am

Jester King has started to bottle some of their beers in green and brown bottles (same beer, just different colored bottles). They're wanting to experiment with light, funk, and aging.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
Baker
Art Expert

Sat May 05, 2018 11:28 am

HisBobness wrote:
Baker wrote:One of my friends here loves Lambic's. He's single, no kids, so when cheap tickets pop up for Belgium he buys them and will just go by himself for a few days drinking bottles and then fill his suitcase with whatever he finds to trade when he gets back. He also has a 99 sticker LPK that im hoping im around when he pops it, that bottle not only was gorgeous but super tasty.
That's a a friend to keep around, that's for true. Maybe he knows the answer to this: Why does Cantillon mostly bottle with green glass when their beers will age for up to 20 years? Darker the glass = less light, better aging. Whereas here, I hardly ever see green glass. Always brown.
Ive read a handful of different reasoning behind it. The most common one is just that its the way its always been for a lot of the Belgium breweries and they are very big on tradition there. Another reason ive read is that just in general, green glass is cheaper than dark glass, and is over in europe more abundantly than we find it here in America.

As far as the aging goes, id say 2 things. 1. In general the recommendation is always "cool dark place" for aging, so the light in "best practice" wouldnt play much of a roll. and 2. Since lambics (at least true lambics) only use aged hops, not fresh hops, the chemical (cant remember the name off the top of my head) that is present in hops that causes the reaction with light to skunk a beer, is either completely gone, or in such small amounts it doesnt have any impact.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
HisBobness
Art Expert

Sat May 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Baker wrote:
HisBobness wrote:
Ive read a handful of different reasoning behind it. The most common one is just that its the way its always been for a lot of the Belgium breweries and they are very big on tradition there. Another reason ive read is that just in general, green glass is cheaper than dark glass, and is over in europe more abundantly than we find it here in America.

As far as the aging goes, id say 2 things. 1. In general the recommendation is always "cool dark place" for aging, so the light in "best practice" wouldnt play much of a roll. and 2. Since lambics (at least true lambics) only use aged hops, not fresh hops, the chemical (cant remember the name off the top of my head) that is present in hops that causes the reaction with light to skunk a beer, is either completely gone, or in such small amounts it doesnt have any impact.
That all makes perfect sense!

I'm interested in getting a few more bottles of Cantillon, so if anybody wants to trade, send me a PM. Not looking to pay the prices on the Belgium sites or mybeercollectables.com
:pint:
Baker
Art Expert

Sat May 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Yeah, they are good ones to keep around for sure. They did a recent web sale for a 3 pack of Saint-Lamvinus, Vigneronne and 50°N that came out to $60 I think for the three bottles. The catch this time though was they have to be picked up in person. Me and the LPK buddy both bought bottles and he found a friend he has sent bottles too before that lives in Poland that will pick them up for us.

The REALLY rarely do bottles sales online that they ship, and last time it roasted their webstore, thankfully having been through enough poster drops I knew what was going on. That one was 2 Fou and 1 Nath for like 100 bucks shipped, which is still a hell of a deal considering a single Fou secondary is probably 120ish.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
Kdh12
Art Freak

Sat May 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Great Notion is canning now. Anyone interested in a small trade?

I have some blueberry muffin and juice jr
mmmm Beer :pint:
Baker
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Kdh12 wrote:Great Notion is canning now. Anyone interested in a small trade?

I have some blueberry muffin and juice jr
Let me get that double stack :D
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Enjoying my time in Maine, bit if nature and exploring. Hitting a nice number of breweries.

Really liked Bissell but really love the location and the offering from Barreled Souls.

ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
kansasbbq
Art God

Sun May 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Wow, barrel aging down to the day. Impressive!
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon May 07, 2018 12:01 am

FrankBooth wrote:Enjoying my time in Maine, bit if nature and exploring. Hitting a nice number of breweries.

Really liked Bissell but really love the location and the offering from Barreled Souls.
spending a week in portland in about a month. can't wait!
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Wed May 09, 2018 2:06 am

kansasbbq wrote:Wow, barrel aging down to the day. Impressive!
Yes, really enjoyed their stuff. Have my 3 bottles of that and my other Maine stuff coming down to me hopefully before the end of the month.
sidewaysscott wrote:spending a week in portland in about a month. can't wait!
Had a great time there and especially hiking around Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor. Enjoy yourself :pint:
ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
kansasbbq
Art God

Sat May 12, 2018 10:09 am

Does anybody have some 2018 HF Barrel-Aged Dorothy they'd be willing to trade?
relentlesskevin
Art Expert

Sat May 12, 2018 1:13 pm

One of my favorites!
And clocking in at 16.7%
jlabbate
Art Freak

Sat May 12, 2018 2:31 pm

relentlesskevin wrote:One of my favorites!
And clocking in at 16.7%
Had this a few months back on tap..pleasantly surprised on how good this was!!