What are you watching.....RIGHT NOW!!!

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:48 pm

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

This film, not only being controversial for many reasons, but is also difficult to watch. While the subject matter is nothing to praise, I at least give credit to Director Meir Zarchi for his honest account and portrayal of a woman, played by Camille Keaton, who is repeatedly raped by 4 locals when she ventures off for a summer at a cabin to write her novel. Many view this as filth and exploitation while some commend it for its feminism. It at least gives the audience the chance to think where they feel it belongs without the director giving us his opinion or forcing his upon us. A lot of respect to the cast and crew who shot this as a few people did quit the production due to the violence portrayed. Also, this was shot in 1978 and with a low budget, meaning only one camera was used and the rape scenes had to be filmed multiple times from different angles. In addition, I appreciate the fact very little music is used in the film, rather leaving the characters and the audience left with the tranquility of silence that nature provides, while at the same time, reminding us just how alone this girl is. Again, this is not a film for everyone but I appreciate the honestly it provides as something as selfish and hideous as rape should not be glamorized on the big screen like it has so many times before and since this film's release. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:00 pm

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (2010)

A remake of the Meir Zarchi classic from 1978. It follows the same formula as the original, not adding but rather taking away from the original in my opinion. Not as brutal of a film as the original but what I had a problem with the most were the scenes in which Jennifer gets her revenge against her assailants. The death scenes I felt were very over the top, with contraptions that would impress even Jigsaw (this coming from a character who is a novelist by trade remember). In fact, the movie seemed to take an almost horror film feel to it by the midway point. An unnecessary remake that, with all of the controversy surrounding the original, I wasn't quite sure what they were hoping to gain with this? 5/10
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:13 am

Coachella webcast. Just watched an atrocious Haim performance. :lol: David Byrne up next on channel 2. Warning: if you are going to see him on this American Utopia tour, you might not want to spoil it by watching this webcast. :D
Post Malone then Beyoncé on channel 1
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:16 am

THE LOBSTER

This one really surprised me, not only with it's cast (consisting of Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, John C. Reilly and Lea Seydoux) but at how crazy the story is (but it works). The premise is people who are single are taken to a hotel where they have 45 days to find a mate. At the end of that time, if they haven't found someone, they are turned into the animal of their choosing. Again, it sounds a little far out there but I really got into it. I had heard positive reviews about it when it came out but it just didn't appeal to me then. I honestly watched it because I was gearing up for THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER and I wanted to have a little Yorgos Lanthimos double-feature. 6.0/10

THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER

Again, I had heard good things about this when it came out and I just recently saw both LOBSTER and this available on Amazon Prime so I jumped at the chance to watch them both. Another great story where a doctor and his family are being terrorized by a teenager who blames the doctor (once again played by Collin Farrell) for murdering his father since he died on Farrell's operating table. The actors who played his children, Raffey Cassidy and Suny Suljic, do great jobs with their roles and of course, Nicole Kidman always shines in hers. I will definitely have my eye on more of Yorgos Lanthimos' work as he releases them as I was impressed with both of these films. Again, both are on Amazon Prime if you're a member and in the mood for something different. 6.5/10

THE NEW YORK RIPPER

A little less than average 80's horror/giallo film. The title caught my eye as I hadn't heard of this previously. One of the scenes in particular had a very SUSPIRIA feel to it with it's use of colors and lighting, which I quite enjoyed. However, other than that, it was decent. Like any good giallo film, it keeps you guessing right until the very end. My major complaint was the killer would quack and talk like a duck which become somewhat annoying after a while. 4.5/10
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:08 am

I really enjoyed 'Call me by your Name' - the story also really benefits from a beautiful survey of the Italian countryside. Multiple times throughout the movie I thought to myself "Why the drymount do I live in Hartford?"
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat May 12, 2018 6:13 pm

So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue May 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Just finished this up.

So it goes...
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue May 29, 2018 1:23 pm

ALL EYEZ ON ME

This is what I find to be the problem with biopics, they seem to be a highlight reel of a person's life. They just reenact high or low periods and the story is very weak and seems to skip from one event to the next. That's the problem we have here. I thought Demetrius Shipp Jr. did a fine job as Tupac Shakur. Dominic L. Santana was fine as Suge Knight, however, I felt R. Marcos Taylor's portrayal from STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON was definitely more vicious and menacing. I feared him more than Santana. The costumes were on point as they looked very authentic, however the jewelry, not so much. Some of the more dramatic scenes were almost comical and for whatever reason, at times, this film seemed to have a made-for-TV feel to it. 5/10
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Really enjoyed The Florida Project, Willem Dafoe was fantastic.
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
binky79
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:39 am

The Frisco Kid

Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford in a western sounded pretty good. :neutral:
RadRacing
Art Expert

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:07 am

Killing Eve. Quite different from Fleabag but still funny and altogether entertaining.
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Irishman12 wrote:I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

This film, not only being controversial for many reasons, but is also difficult to watch. While the subject matter is nothing to praise, I at least give credit to Director Meir Zarchi for his honest account and portrayal of a woman, played by Camille Keaton, who is repeatedly raped by 4 locals when she ventures off for a summer at a cabin to write her novel. Many view this as filth and exploitation while some commend it for its feminism. It at least gives the audience the chance to think where they feel it belongs without the director giving us his opinion or forcing his upon us. A lot of respect to the cast and crew who shot this as a few people did quit the production due to the violence portrayed. Also, this was shot in 1978 and with a low budget, meaning only one camera was used and the rape scenes had to be filmed multiple times from different angles. In addition, I appreciate the fact very little music is used in the film, rather leaving the characters and the audience left with the tranquility of silence that nature provides, while at the same time, reminding us just how alone this girl is. Again, this is not a film for everyone but I appreciate the honestly it provides as something as selfish and hideous as rape should not be glamorized on the big screen like it has so many times before and since this film's release. 6/10

based on a Bergmen movie , the virgin spring
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:22 pm

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:33 pm

ricv64 wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

based on a Bergmen movie , the virgin spring
I never saw it. If you have, any good?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 pm

LEATHERFACE

Another unnecessary prequel that tells the backstory of a character nobody wanted/asked for/needed. Sometimes not everything needs to be explained and the unknown is actually more terrifying than the known. A weak script, with a low body count and really only the last three minutes of the film are worth anything and even that's a stretch. 4/10