Ready Player One - Reviews and Spoilers

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:36 am

That's how it felt :lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby hunterjax on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:41 am

pjsteelerfan wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Just saw it. Went in knowing nothing about it. Didn't read the book. Didn't see the trailer. Just knew that there would be a bunch of references to pop culture. Didn't have huge expectations.

Enjoyed the fudge out of it. Fun flick that had me grinning in stretches. Not without its faults, but I didn't feel the need to nitpick it (or to try and catch all of the references). Looking forward to a second viewing (and potentially/eventually reading the book).

that's good to know. Looking forward to this weekend.

same, I'm pretty excited for it.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby FrankBooth on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:45 am

I'm hoping they didn't downplay the state of the world in that universe as a contributing factor to the use of Oasis.

It is a bit of a sick satisfaction to see non-post credit screen disappointment. :lol:
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:51 am

:lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby chevyav53 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:02 pm

RottenAtom wrote::pint:

I'm interested to see how fans of the book react. I'm also curious to hear what didn't make the movie - which references they couldn't use and such. The movie manages to find a cool 80s tone, like Bill & Ted. The audience was really into it.

The biggest disappointment was from the people who sat through the credits expecting another scene and leaving empty-handed. I haven't seen so many people peeved at this before. A phrase I heard numerous times was "How is a movie about Easter eggs gonna have no Easter egg at the end??" (It's unfathomable!) As a person who stays through the credits at every movie (simply to read the credits), I took a little joy in their dissatisfaction. :lol:

Read the book but have no expectations as it is almost always different so why set yourself up for disappointment. But I am happy to hear decent feedback.

But now I'm curious, why do you read the credits, you in film?
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:26 pm

There's a few reasons I sit through the credits. They're informative - I like to see what people and companies worked on the film, where they shot it, see what songs were played that I didn't know or might've missed, and see who got an extra special thanks for helping out or whatever. It's also a good time to decompress and reflect a little if the movie was good. Sometimes I feel like I'm still in the movie's trance and don't want to let it go or rejoin reality immediately.

I write a little film criticism. Staying through the credits for every movie helps connect the dots and gain a better familiarity with who works on what and all that.

I kind of wish the credits were a bit slower (especially the music/soundtrack sections). I often have a hard time keeping up.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby DaleCooper on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:01 am

Read the book 4 times. Saw the movie last night and loved it. Don't expect to see the book come to life on the big screen... it's totally different and should be taken as such. If you want a fun movie that you don't want to put much thought into, you could do much worse.

The part with the 2nd key was genius.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Postby Celsius on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:47 am

Never read the book and saw the film just now. Eh. The plot is basically sword art online with stakes not as high and with pop culture thrown in. Lots of exposition and it's dives too deep into nerd culture where a lot of the references were flying over my head. Not sure which age group this movie is really targeting.
Celsius
Flipper

"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:07 pm

RP1 inspired me to dust off this ole boy
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby MooseThompson on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Just read the book last week and really enjoyed it. Saw the movie last night and also thought it was pretty great.

I understand the need to change the key puzzles, but wish there had still been an additional gate quest like in the book.

Overall I think all the changes they made from the book make sense to adapt the story for the big screen. Wish the first key had been a little more creative, but it was an awesome scene.
MooseThompson
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:35 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Just saw it. Went in knowing nothing about it. Didn't read the book. Didn't see the trailer. Just knew that there would be a bunch of references to pop culture. Didn't have huge expectations.

Enjoyed the fudge out of it. Fun flick that had me grinning in stretches. Not without its faults, but I didn't feel the need to nitpick it (or to try and catch all of the references). Looking forward to a second viewing (and potentially/eventually reading the book).

Pretty much spot on with me too. I didn't read the book but I loved the film and would really like to read it now. Definitely seeing it again in theaters as well!
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:16 pm

Pretty much exactly the same scenario here. I can't speak to anything as far as moving the book from text to screen, but I really enjoyed the film. I liked all of the characters, some of the references were really great, I was internally spazzing out for quite a few of them. This was a really good time
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:21 pm

RottenAtom wrote:see who got an extra special thanks for helping out or whatever.

I kind of wish the credits were a bit slower (especially the music/soundtrack sections). I often have a hard time keeping up.

Totally off topic but does anyone remember when Kevin Smith was making Clerks 2 and if you put Clerks 2 in your top 8 friends on myspace he would put your name in the credits? Possibly the longest credits ever? But also my only credit on a movie to date. I'm a star, y'all.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby duckyhoward on Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:53 am

greenhorn1 wrote:2 things I think. First not as much focus on the part of the story I liked best (Easter Egg hunt) and second I guess the visuals seem excessive in what is supposed to be a VR online game. The movie just seems like a throw everything at the wall CGI fest. I just hope there is story to back it up and not just a string of action scenes.

Have to say i enjoyed it.

I have read the book a couple of times and saw the movie yesterday. ^^ - greenhorn your comment above is pretty much spot on. Lots of action but a bit light on the story. It was a lot of fun though; but just not as good as i had hoped. Definitely worth checking out on the big screen for the visuals and sound.

Cant help but think it would have made a great 8-10 episode stand alone single season TV series to fully explore the Oasis world and all the characters.
duckyhoward
Art Expert

"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.

Postby pjsteelerfan on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:23 am

I really enjoyed it. Thought it was a lot of fun, so many cameos and references. Tons of things not spoiled by the trailers and commercials. Will be fun to try and catch them all once it is out on blu ray. And I was not really disappointed in the changes they had to make from the book. They would not have been able to fit it all into a 2 or 3 hour movie.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV