Random Posts & Chaos

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:20 am

So, who's going to be the first to use this idea to build flat file shelves into their staircase?

:lol:

hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:23 am

I actually tried to plan out doing that with my cellar stairs - creating drawers to roll in an out on the bottom steps . . . it would have required completely ripping out the existing stairs though, and it's just not a project I want to get into right now. Some day I might get motivated though.
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:33 am

That's a great idea for a cellar man cave. In area's prone to flooding, build into the high steps to protect prints from water.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:40 am

Seems like it’d be a pain in the ass to access though.
ImageT.K.C.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:41 am

IWish wrote:That's a great idea for a cellar man cave. In area's prone to flooding, build into the high steps to protect prints from water.
yeah, exactly - my cellar is basically a collector's room, lucky to have such a dry basement with low humidity (especially in New England). Even still all the stuff I have down there, I have at least 12 inches off the ground.

My basement stairs are basically walled in by brick and concrete on both sides, so it's sort of a pain in the ass job if I even want to take them out, since they are the only access point. Ideally, I'd love to do storage drawers on the bottom few, have the middle one's hinged (think the Munster's staircase) in order to have more storage access, and then the tops just regular steps.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:42 am

bryndavies wrote:Seems like it’d be a pain in the ass to access though.
I think you have to use the bottom two, maybe three steps, so that the long drawers would roll way out but be supported enough without an "overhang" type situation.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Seems like it would be more inconvenient than it was worth. You would either be walking all over the house with your prints or have your rolling/packing/flattening setup right next to the stairs.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
bryndavies
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:26 pm

hunterjax wrote:
bryndavies wrote:Seems like it’d be a pain in the ass to access though.
I think you have to use the bottom two, maybe three steps, so that the long drawers would roll way out but be supported enough without an "overhang" type situation.

I was commenting about the books specifically in that pic. They’d be hard to get to it seems to me. But then again, I guess once you’re done with a book it teens to stay on the shelf. Readers are like hunters in that way, they love to display their mental trophy’s. :lol:
ImageT.K.C.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Kramerica wrote:Seems like it would be more inconvenient than it was worth. You would either be walking all over the house with your prints or have your rolling/packing/flattening setup right next to the stairs.
this actually is my setup, my flat file and flattening table/work area is about 8 feet from the bottom of my stairs . . . but I get what you're saying, not ideal for everyone's situation.
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Clever idea; especially for renters.

This worked well for me for many years - it's a simple, weed-free way to grow lettuce, spinach and even radishes. Take a 2 cubic feet bag of potting soil (I used Miracle Grow), rumple it around quite a bit to loose the soil, poke quite a few holes in the back side for drainage, then lay the bag on a smooth surface that will allow drainage and not get too hot, and cut out the top, leaving about a 4 or 5 inch border all around. Lightly rake through the soil to even it out and loosen it even more, then carefully, and evenly sprinkle the seeds around. I put my salad green seeds in an old spice bottle with large shaker holes, added some cornmeal, shook it all up to mix well and sprinkled them out of it. I put the cornmeal in there to allow me to see that I had covered the soil evenly. If doing radish seeds or spinach, just make lines the depth mentioned on the seed pack, plant the seeds and cover appropriately. For salad greens I sprinkled a lite covering of soil over the cornmeal and seeds and then spray-misted to water them in. I put my bags on metal sawhorses and grates to make them waist level. This kept the bags off the hot concrete and I didn't have to bend over when cutting my salad. When harvesting, just use a pair of scissors and cut what you need - don't pull the plants out. Same goes for spinach - they will grow back almost magically overnight, and you can't tell where you cut. Spray mist the seeds and plantlings at first when watering, until they are established, then you can water more vigorously as the plants mature. You will probably need to water more often, since the depth of the bags are not as deep as a regular in-ground garden. I just kept mine moist, but not sopping wet.
cotis
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:06 pm

i'm sure landlords love seeing open bags of potting soil laying all around the rentals.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Dafug do they care as long as the rent is on time.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Codeblue wrote:Dafug do they care as long as the rent is on time.
^^This, + keeping the place clean. Went through a random inspection last month and the renter replaced the carpets. I was like cool but why did you have to replace the carpets in the first place, then I said I'd rather not know, they look good, were padded so all is ok for now got the rent and left. :pint:
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:06 pm

bryndavies wrote: I was commenting about the books specifically in that pic. They’d be hard to get to it seems to me. But then again, I guess once you’re done with a book it teens to stay on the shelf. Readers are like hunters in that way, they love to display their mental trophy’s. :lol:
Hard to access? Not if you're sitting on 2-3 steps below the step containing the book you're looking for.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:31 pm

Crazy times, and understand why this is being done here but wait till it spreads.

'We are not calling for the slaughter of white people - at least for now': South African parliament votes to SEIZE white-owned land as experts warn of violent repercussions

- White South African farmers to be removed from their land after parliament vote
- The motion for 'expropriation without compensation' passed by a landslide
- It was brought about by Julius Malema who said white farmers are 'criminals'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z58VXEVgp7