What are you watching.....RIGHT NOW!!!

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:09 pm

SPLATTER UNIVERSITY

A nice old fashioned 80's slasher movie with good music, a bad film transfer, some audio problems at certain parts of the film, and a predictable killer. I'm a sucker for cheesy 80's horror. 5.5/10

SICARIO

A slow burn of a film that I believe actually works for it. I don't feel it gets too inflated and times out at just the right moment before seeming to drag. Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro play very well together about keeping Emily Blunt in the dark about her true motives of being on their team. Benicio doesn't have many lines of dialogue but when he does, he delivers them very cold and you believe this man is capable of a great many, hurtful and disturbing things. I'm looking forward to the sequel this summer! 7/10
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:35 pm

The Andromeda Strain. 1971 version. I don't remember if I ever watched it...we'll see how it goes. Based on the novel by Michael Crichton (1969).
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:50 pm

Been on a Spike Lee kick. She's Gotta Have it, Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, Crooklyn, Clockers, He Got Game, The 25th Hour, and Inside Man.

Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:48 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Been on a Spike Lee kick. She's Gotta Have it, Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, Crooklyn, Clockers, He Got Game, The 25th Hour, and Inside Man.

I know everyone feels Spike's best film is DO THE RIGHT THING, but personally, my favorite Spike Lee Joint is MALCOLM X followed by HE GOT GAME (and then INSIDE MAN).
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:56 pm

25th hour underrated af
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Clockers is a classic
apalma27
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Cincinnati vs Wichita St.
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:08 pm

I really enjoyed Chi-Raq from a couple years ago.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Irishman12 wrote:I know everyone feels Spike's best film is DO THE RIGHT THING, but personally, my favorite Spike Lee Joint is MALCOLM X followed by HE GOT GAME (and then INSIDE MAN).
Malcolm X and He Got Game were both super memorable theatrical experiences for me. I had just turned 11 when Malcolm X came out and I went to see it with my mom. Those baseball caps with the X on them were popular back then. Lots of kids were wearing them at school, rappers and ballplayers had them on TV. I didn't know fudge about Malcolm X, but it made me curious so I saw the movie and read the autobiography. It was by far the longest movie I'd ever seen up to that point. The film's really well done and underrated. I don't watch it as much as the others I listed, but it's probably in my Top 5 Lee films. Somewhat related- my girl and I each bought X hats on ebay and wore them to MMMX.

As a lifelong basketball fan, I've been a huge fan of He Got Game since the first time I saw it. I remember watching it and then staying out for hours shooting hoops in the driveway. I saw it a few times in the theater. The mix of an Aaron Copeland score with a Public Enemy soundtrack sets the perfect tone for the best movie about my favorite (also the best!) sport. One of my favorite Denzel performances too.

Do the Right Thing is still my favorite Spike Lee movie. The colors, the characters, the cinematography, the music, the energy. I love it. I don't think I've ever seen it on the big screen and that's a shame. (And that's the double truth, Ruth!)

I can always watch Crooklyn. It has one of the best soundtracks from a year with great soundtracks ('94 with Pulp Fiction and Gump). The distorted aspect ratio when she visits her relatives down South is an unfortunate decision that's more annoying than artsy.

Clockers is underrated and is a pre-cursor to The Wire. DP Ernest Dickerson would go on to direct several integral episodes of the series.

25th Hour has that eerie post 9-11/jail on-the-horizon feeling and with PSH's passing it's draped in another layer of tragedy.

I need to see Chi-raq again. I really didn't like it the first time (only time) I saw it and I wrote a passionate review explaining why: http://www.nerdlocker.com/movies/nerdlo ... ew-chi-raq
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:11 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:I know everyone feels Spike's best film is DO THE RIGHT THING, but personally, my favorite Spike Lee Joint is MALCOLM X followed by HE GOT GAME (and then INSIDE MAN).
Malcolm X and He Got Game were both super memorable theatrical experiences for me. I had just turned 11 when Malcolm X came out and I went to see it with my mom. Those baseball caps with the X on them were popular back then. Lots of kids were wearing them at school, rappers and ballplayers had them on TV. I didn't know fudge about Malcolm X, but it made me curious so I saw the movie and read the autobiography. It was by far the longest movie I'd ever seen up to that point. The film's really well done and underrated. I don't watch it as much as the others I listed, but it's probably in my Top 5 Lee films. Somewhat related- my girl and I each bought X hats on ebay and wore them to MMMX.
Absolutely! Those hats and Malcolm X shirts were everywhere. Athletes wore them, they were in movies, TV shows, music videos, etc.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:59 am

Finally getting a chance to watch this. I really enjoy Aronofsky's work, in general, but I'm not sure about this. Movie made me incredibly anxious lol. Not sure I completely get it, either. I feel like there's something deeper going on, which intrigues me, but I didn't pick up on it with this first viewing...

So it goes...
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 pm

You're absolutely right mfaith, there is a lot going on with this film. Same as yourself, I enjoy Aronofsky's work and I did enjoy this. Not as much as some of his other previous efforts but I did enjoy it. Below are a couple of articles that will make sense of the film. Some of them I was able to get right while watching, some made more sense after reading about them. I need a second viewing of the film after reading these articles to see how I feel about it then but I do remember being one of the few who did enjoy it (critics and fans weren't overly impressed).

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/what-wer ... other.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/moth ... explained/

At least for me, after viewing the film in this context, I thought it was a rather smart movie.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Yeah, I went google searching after posting that and came across the deeper allegorical meaning of the film. I don't know if I'd have ever gotten all of that myself, but I think it's pretty brilliant, regardless. Definitely gives me a lot to roll around in my head, and ponder on, which is the sign of a good film. With that context, I'll certainly need another viewing to fully appreciate all of the intricacies. Definitely respect what Aronofsky was trying to accomplish with it a great deal more. It's definitely not an easy film to consume, but films don't have to be.
So it goes...
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm

BAD LIEUTENANT

Harvey Keitel gives a great performance of an alcoholic, drugged out, degenerate gambling NYC detective. Playing against the background of a fictitious MLB playoff series between the New York Mets and Los Angeles Dodgers (this is after Strawberry switched sides from New York to LA). Abel Ferrara once again does a fantastic job at capturing New York City during this time period. MS. 45 herself Zoe Tamerlis Lund even makes a brief appearance in two scenes with Harvey where he's shooting up (she co-wrote the script with Abel). A sad tale of abuse of power, giving into one's vices, and redemption seeking. 6/10

ALICE, SWEET ALICE

Featuring a very young Brooke Shields (11-years-old), ALICE, SWEET ALICE is a decent 70's horror film. In order to not spoil anything, I would have preferred who the audience originally thinks the killer is as I think it would have been an interesting take as a horror movie. Linda Miller gives a good performance as the "my child could never do that" mother, who is afraid to admit to herself that her daughter could be capable of murder. 5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:02 pm

DRIVE-IN MASSACRE

A great time capsule for those of us to jump in to who were either too young or weren't born yet to enjoy the experience of a drive-in movie theater. The theater used in this film actually had a playground for kids. I'm not sure if this was typical or not? The movie itself is still a somewhat bad/somewhat decent grindhouse film. Very bad lighting in parts during the nighttime scenes. I won't lie that I kind of felt a little gypped at the end in regards to the killer. 4.5/10