The Rory Kurtz Thread

General art-related discussion.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Kramerica wrote:Wow, that fb thread. The fan dick measuring contest is sandwiching the diatribe about run sizes being an attempt to create artificial scarcity to make prints seem better than they are. It's like...hyperreality.
You just don't want it enough. :)
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:27 pm

So duke said he doesn't do unlicensed work then did it right after, or simply changed his stance over time like every other artist/gallery that flip flops once they hit the big time?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
LifTid
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Lol... He's got another commission coming up after this too.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 pm

hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Codeblue wrote:So duke said he doesn't do unlicensed work then did it right after, or simply changed his stance over time like every other artist/gallery that flip flops once they hit the big time?
I mean, he did that Casablanca before he was ZOMGHAWT . . . that stance must have lasted like two weeks. (not that I care, these guys should all be striking while the iron is hot and racking up the cash on these commissions - crazy amounts floating around.)
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:43 pm

It's just curious how confident the "I avoid unlicensed work like the plague" was. Like, that's not really how you avoid plagues, by eating a big plague sandwich. :lol:
So it goes...
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Codeblue wrote:So duke said he doesn't do unlicensed work then did it right after, or simply changed his stance over time like every other artist/gallery that flip flops once they hit the big time?
Idk the exact time frame when he said he "avoided unlicensed work like the plague", it was around the time he showed his unused 80s Batman print, so post-big time, way after Casablanca and off the heels of I, Tonya. Given that it was recently, it had to look something like spewing that comment out then turning around and doing sketches for his plague-ridden Alien concept that night.

Then last week on there was a different in-depth discussion somewhere about wether or not EWAF was skirting around likeness rights that was equally stupid. Had no idea that so many Mondohs and Mondoh artists moonlighted as IP lawyers. When Mondo or a Mondo artist do something that could be considered sketchy its not an issue because they are are originals, or its a small special one time commission for a small group so it doesn't count, or xyz. ...even though the EWAF2 pieces are originals and its ~fine~, they are essentially promoting sales of prints aren't licensed. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a spike in sales of Edminston's eyes that are on his site that coincided with the gallery show.

Again, I don't care either and agree with the above, I think all this licensing fudge is antiquated and needs updated since the Internet is a thing now. Artist are going to post whatever they want on social media, and will find a channel to sell it, even if its a private one.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:06 pm

I had a comment in that "licensed EWAF" thread - I think generally, Edmiston can skirt it because 1) no one sees his prints selling from his site, like they would with a known-entity like Mondo or ACME; and 2) I do think that copyright law allows "homage" type art to be sold in limited numbers without a license . . . I am not a lawyer, and certainly not an IP/Copyright expert, but I have worked for a federal judge for almost 20 years and seen a lot of copyright cases. There's a good chance that if someone sued Edmiston or Mondo for those pieces, he/they would win a dismissal since it's so limited in number and the likeness aspect of it is even more so.

I don't know, I could totally be talking out of my ass too. Who the drymount knows.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:19 pm

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:29 pm

I agree, I think they are fine to sell, especially considering they are 1/1... but I think at the end of the day it is a grey area, and if you are a artist/company that has a stance of not supporting "bootlegs" - you shouldn't promote that art/artist. It looks like he gained over 1k followers that weekend of the show and I'm sure his inbox was flooded asking when prints of the new stuff would be available. But EWAF is a horse of a different color.

To get back on topic, does anyone know any good tattoo artists in the Chicago area, preferably looking for someone who has experience with Giger stuff. Asking for a friend.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 pm

EgoDeath wrote:
To get back on topic, does anyone know any good tattoo artists in the Chicago area, preferably looking for someone who has experience with Giger stuff. Asking for a friend.
Do you have a license for that art? :lol:
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Going to tattoo some alien fudge, aren't you?
cotis
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:23 pm

YOU GOTTA GET PERMISHUN THO!
jayper
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Holy fudge that thread!

agr719
Art Expert

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 am

mfaith wrote:Like, that's not really how you avoid plagues, by eating a big plague sandwich. :lol:
That was a good one :lol:

But also, that Facebook thread,

mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.