Homeowner Life

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby rhythmgtr5 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:10 pm

mr_rugby wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:
mr_rugby wrote:Hardwood flooring is expensive...FML

But worth it, what type you putting in?

Armstrong Flooring American Scrape 5 in. Wide x 3/4 in. Thick, Medium Gloss Solid Oak Hardwood Flooring in Brown Bear

why scraped?
rhythmgtr5
Art Expert

Postby Baker on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:18 pm

piper27 wrote:Hate to break up the great hard wood floor chatter. Does anyone use Simply Safe home security? I guess my wife wants one or something like it that won't break the bank.

Yup, we do. Have had no complaints on it. The few times we have accidentally set something off they have been very quick to call. Good assortment of sensors available and easy as hell setup. Only thing that requires power is the base station, everything else is battery which is also nice. I know there are a handful of similar systems out there nowadays but i wouldnt go back on that one. Have liked how easy it is to add sensors too. Added a water sensor around our water heater after our old one leaked, 20 bucks well spent.
Baker
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"

Postby wottagunn on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:23 am

ive seen similar products, but not this particular one. It looks very good.
I may very well get a complete system when my home build finishes. Is it for US customers only though? Can I just have it go off if triggered, and then to silence automatically after 10 or so minutes?
wottagunn
Art Expert

Image Image Image ImageImage

Postby chevyav53 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 am

piper27 wrote:Hate to break up the great hard wood floor chatter. Does anyone use Simply Safe home security? I guess my wife wants one or something like it that won't break the bank.

Have it as well. Have had some issues with sensors at the far end of the house not registering but otherwise a great system. I’ve had it for about 7 years I believe so all in all a great buy. If you get the cameras they are great as they have a shutter so not always on as with Nest Indoor. The new system of theirs looks great but I’m waiting for an upgrade offer.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby mr_rugby on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:41 am

rhythmgtr5 wrote:
mr_rugby wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:

Armstrong Flooring American Scrape 5 in. Wide x 3/4 in. Thick, Medium Gloss Solid Oak Hardwood Flooring in Brown Bear

why scraped?

I like the look of the scraped floor vs. just a plain hard wood. It gives your floor a one of kind look...if that makes any sense. It really gives the house/room that "wow" factor, IMO
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby relentlesskevin on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:07 am

mr_rugby wrote:
chevyav53 wrote:

I just laid about 500 sq ft of 3-1/4" x 3/4" oak prefinished for about $1600... thank you Lowes coupon code generator for saving 20% plus another 5% back on topcashback.com!
relentlesskevin
Art Expert

Postby Baker on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:35 pm

wottagunn wrote:ive seen similar products, but not this particular one. It looks very good.
I may very well get a complete system when my home build finishes. Is it for US customers only though? Can I just have it go off if triggered, and then to silence automatically after 10 or so minutes?

You can run the system without it being monitored, but im not sure about an auto silence on it.

Our house isnt huge, but given how wifi signals are in it, I was impressed that everything connected without issue to the base station given that its in a closet.

Just went and checked out the new system, like the look of that a lot. Would be nice if they offered an upgrade discount like was said, id upgrade just cause the keypad and pieces all look a little sleeker and smaller.
Baker
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"

Postby chevyav53 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 pm

wottagunn wrote:ive seen similar products, but not this particular one. It looks very good.

As Baker mentioned you don't need monitoring. Also you can set when the alarm shuts off, so how long the siren will sound. I think mine is set for 6 minutes, it can be set for up to 20. As for use outside the US you'd have to ask them I know they use a cellular network along with WIFI but is cellular needed if not being monitored, I don't know.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby relentlesskevin on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 pm

Latest storm messed up eastern PA pretty bad
Attachments
IMG_8498.JPG
IMG_8498.JPG (161.1 KiB) Viewed 421 times
IMG_8501.JPG
IMG_8501.JPG (161.86 KiB) Viewed 421 times
relentlesskevin
Art Expert

Postby stuckeyc on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Resized952018030295102652.jpg
Resized952018030295102652.jpg (141.82 KiB) Viewed 391 times

ny too. this is the first onevi have been working on. second one is atleast that big but hung up in another tree. might need a pro. once those are done a few more limbs to deal with too
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Postby tourist504 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:36 pm

I need a door. I want a solid wood door - nothing fancy - just a 36x80 solid slab of wood I can trim slightly to fit the opening. No glass, no panels - none of that. Just a single slab of solid wood I can paint and drill some holes in for the doorknob and deadbolt and hang and be done with.

All the doors the Internet wants to sell me are painted steel-coated MDF or have ornate glass panels and crap. I don't want any of that. I just want one piece of wood shaped like a door that I can buy with money. Where do I get my door?????
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby squalie on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:48 pm

tourist504 wrote:I need a door. I want a solid wood door - nothing fancy - just a 36x80 solid slab of wood I can trim slightly to fit the opening. No glass, no panels - none of that. Just a single slab of solid wood I can paint and drill some holes in for the doorknob and deadbolt and hang and be done with.

All the doors the Internet wants to sell me are painted steel-coated MDF or have ornate glass panels and crap. I don't want any of that. I just want one piece of wood shaped like a door that I can buy with money. Where do I get my door?????

I've seen decent doors like what you're looking for at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. May be worth a visit.
squalie
Art Expert

Postby fallstaff on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:20 pm

tourist504 wrote:I need a door. I want a solid wood door - nothing fancy - just a 36x80 solid slab of wood I can trim slightly to fit the opening. No glass, no panels - none of that. Just a single slab of solid wood I can paint and drill some holes in for the doorknob and deadbolt and hang and be done with.

I don't think you'll find it — a single slab solid wood door. A hunk of wood that size would expand and contract too much to be practical for a door, unless maybe it was a hanging style barn door.

If you want an all wood door it will have to be a conventional frame and panel type that can accommodate for seasonal movement. If you want a simple slab door you probably ought to go with fiberglass or steel.
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Postby tourist504 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:54 pm

fallstaff wrote:

I don't think you'll find it — a single slab solid wood door. A hunk of wood that size would expand and contract too much to be practical for a door, unless maybe it was a hanging style barn door.

If you want an all wood door it will have to be a conventional frame and panel type that can accommodate for seasonal movement. If you want a simple slab door you probably ought to go with fiberglass or steel.

I think you're right.
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby fallstaff on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:05 am

tourist504 wrote:
fallstaff wrote:

I think you're right.

I'll flip-flop on this and say you could hire a woodworker to glue-up a 36 x 80 solid wood panel using a stable wood species like Redwood.
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes