Planning a trip to New York City. Need advice and recs!

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Just purchased tickets and reserved an airbnb on the Lower East Side in a nice spot close to The Metrograph. Super excited :clap:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby hunterjax on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 pm

I'll echo what many have said. Manhattan/NYC is a tall order for setting a plan - you could spend a week just exploring lower Manhattan, or a full weekend just in Central Park. So the idea of just wandering around and discovering stuff is a good way to really get the full city experience. Make time for staple things like MoMA and Ground Zero and the High Line, but try to take a good amount of time just walking through neighborhoods.

I love Alphabet City, the West Village, Chinatown - tons of great bars and restaurants. Definitely grab a steamed pork bun (or whatever the vegetarian version is) in Chinatown from a street vendor, nothing like it!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby cotis on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:17 pm

for pizza: Lombardi's on Spring St is good. went to Uncle Paul's on Vanderbilt for the first time last month with family, enjoyed it. small place, not in the hustle and bustle of tourist alley.

10Below Ice Cream (Mott St) has Thai ice cream rolls. funky but tasty ice cream.

definitely do the WTC museum and explore around there. tons of food and stores at Brookfield Place across the street from there. good view across Hudson River to Hoboken/Jersey City as well. you can get some pretty cheap last minute show tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Square. we usually take family to St. Patrick's Cathedral to check it out, it's a site to see if you've never been.

oh and if you head across the Williamsburg Bridge from where you're staying, you have Bottleneck and Peter Luger's. there's a bunch of other great places in Brooklyn, but there's only so many hours in a day.
cotis
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:41 pm

cotis wrote: we usually take family to St. Patrick's Cathedral to check it out, it's a site to see if you've never been.

this is great advice and something I never think to suggest to people - it's amazing and it's right in the heart of Midtown so easy to do while hitting Rockefeller Center, etc.

When I lived in the city I walked by it every day on the way to and from work, would try to stop in at least once a month at different times of the day to see the different light effects inside.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:57 am

cotis wrote:if you head across the Williamsburg Bridge from where you're staying, you have Bottleneck and Peter Luger's. there's a bunch of other great places in Brooklyn, but there's only so many hours in a day.

Thanks cotis and HJ. Definitely plan on checking out Bottleneck. Looks like it's basically a mile down the road. Straight shot over the bridge. Good advice on the cheap Broadway tickets too.

When I was looking in the area on google maps, I came across a place called Shopsin's and the name rang a bell. Realized I saw a documentary about the eclectic owner probably 10+ years ago. I thought the place was closed, but it appears to have moved from its Greenwich Village location to the LES. Sounds like the guy's a real Soup Nazi type of character and he insults a good amount of the people who go in there. I got caught up reading reviews about the place and having a laugh. They're an interesting mix of regulars with a 'you don't understand!' mentality, people who've been insulted by him and are pissed, and people who seem to genuinely enjoy the eclectic stoner food ordered from a menu of 600+ items (down from 900+ in its heyday). Curious if anybody's ever been there? Did you get Shopsin'd?

Some of those reviews: http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/shopsins/
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby cotis on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:10 am

hunterjax wrote:
cotis wrote: we usually take family to St. Patrick's Cathedral to check it out, it's a site to see if you've never been.

this is great advice and something I never think to suggest to people - it's amazing and it's right in the heart of Midtown so easy to do while hitting Rockefeller Center, etc.

When I lived in the city I walked by it every day on the way to and from work, would try to stop in at least once a month at different times of the day to see the different light effects inside.

even if you're not religious - seeing the architecture, marble work, etc. is eye popping.
cotis
Art Expert

Postby iambillyg on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:15 am

Take the ferry over to Jersey and go to Razza. Order a pizza and start with their bread and butter.
iambillyg
Art Freak

KingOfNothing wrote:It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.

Postby rubberneck on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 am

cotis wrote:
hunterjax wrote:

even if you're not religious - seeing the architecture, marble work, etc. is eye popping.

Touring the Vatican is the same. Vows of poverty and humility by their clergy do ring a bit hollow afterwards tbh...
rubberneck
Art God

Postby maroozer on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:12 pm

If you're in Brooklyn....

http://www.aldilatrattoria.com/

My favorite restaurant in the world. Ever.
maroozer
Art Connoisseur

Postby cotis on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:15 pm

couple other things while I'm thinking about them:

-GeoCaching NYC, if you're out and about walking and want some explore/adventure. we do this when we go on hikes elsewhere and there's enough crap to do in the city, but could be good for your jogs or downtime.
-Governor's Island National Monument is fun, we've taken family there a few times.
-City Hall Station Tour
-Roosevelt Island has a walking tour you can do, and a tram.
cotis
Art Expert

Postby rubberneck on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:15 pm

maroozer wrote:If you're in Brooklyn....

Prices are reasonable. I'd be going straight for the Calf Liver Alla Veneziana

:drool:
rubberneck
Art God

Postby maroozer on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:36 pm

rubberneck wrote:
maroozer wrote:If you're in Brooklyn....

Prices are reasonable. I'd be going straight for the Calf Liver Alla Veneziana

:drool:

i make it a point to go here every time i visit NYC.

That braised rabbit is insane. Seriously.
maroozer
Art Connoisseur

Postby FrankBooth on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Have fun RA, reach out to me if you need help with anything.

If you have time, venture into Queens.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby timmyummy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:47 pm

May is a way better time to visit than March.

And if you are a pizza fanatic, make sure to make the trek out to Di Fara. Kind of a ways out, but definitely worth the trip if you like pizza. Lots of reviews online about it, so see what others have said.
timmyummy
Art Enthusiast

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:02 pm

The trip is creeping up... less than a month away. I realize I would need a few months (at least) in NYC to do everything I want to. Still narrowing down activities and really looking forward to visiting :clap:

Museums on the agenda:

Museum of the City of New York (Kubrick exhibit)
American Museum of Natural History
Museum of the Moving Image (Jim Henson exhibit)
The Met
The New York Public Library (tour)

Wanted to see Hamilton, but tix were crazy pricey. If anybody has a hookup or advice on grabbing 2 seats for somewhat reasonable prices, please let me know. Went ahead and grabbed orchestra seats to Wicked, another show I've wanted to see but never have. It'll be Claudia's first Broadway show.

Anybody have any recommendations on bakeries? Looking for good black & white cookies, babkas, bagels, and bialis (or any other goodies I oughta try).

Also, is there anything worth visiting related to Gang Starr, Mobb Deep, Big L, or Wu-Tang? I plan on visiting 139 & Lenox. NYC needs a museum with proper funding dedicated to the history of hip hop. (It has so much potential!!)

Also, are there still any Phlegm pieces around? (There used to be one in a park on a wall with a reddish/maroon background, but I'm not sure where...) Any other pieces or recommendations of areas with cool street art is appreciated.

What about Jazz or comedy club recs?

Anything else cool that I'm missing?

We're skipping the Statue of Liberty (I've seen it and wasn't impressed) and saving the 9/11 museum for next time (just more interested in the ones listed above). If we take the Staten Island Ferry in lieu of the SoL, is there anything worth checking out on Staten Island?

Thanks! :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes