NFL 2018

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby PrintNoob87 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:57 pm

pewter14 wrote:
PrintNoob87 wrote:I think the whole crux of that article (at least my takeaway) is that it didn't necessarily HAVE to be the end, though. Belichick feels he had his next guy and now he slipped right through his fingers for reasons that were largely out of his control. Only time will tell with Jimmy G but damn, he looks at least good enough to do what's needed on a team run by Bill Belicheck. He got 11 goddamned wins out of Matt goddamned Cassel. #neverforget

If that's your argument, there are plenty more Matt Cassels out there.

So, even if you're on the tag JG and trade Brady boat ... how does that play out?

What are you really going to get for Brady at age 41? It *has* to be a team who thinks they can win right now, potentially with a great defense. Maybe the Jags? Or the Broncos? Or to the NFC to whom ... hell, I can't think of a decent landing spot for Brady in the NFC. Maybe SF for the hometown play.

You're not getting a #1 pick for a 41 year old QB, just ain't gonna happen. But whatever, you make it happen trade Brady and stick with JG (which by the way, as a Pats fan, I was in no way dead set against this)

Now as jkw points out, you got to commit nearly $20M a year to Garoppolo for his 2.5 regular season games. What if he's Matt Schaub or Scott Mitchell? All the talk about how he won this year, he still put up 6 TDs and 5 INTs in 5 starts.

I hope he's a hall of fame QB and leads the 49ers to multiple championships .. it'll be fun to watch. But there is zero guarantee here.

I think there are loads of teams that would fork a halfway decent pick for Brady. I don't know that they even need to be all that good, because I guarantee you there are plenty of GMs out there that would convince themselves that they're Tom Brady away from being a SB contender - regardless of whether that was true or not. Broncos and Jags as you mentioned are painfully obvious (and I really don't think Belichick would sit around wringing his hands after trading him to a good AFC team), the entire rest of the AFC east (but that's one route I don't even think Belichick would go), Cardinals, Bears, Giants (!!), Redskins, hell the Vikings would make perfect sense.

I guess it all comes down to what Belichick's evaluation of Jimmy G was. The Packers had even less of a sample size of Rodgers when they committed to him over Favre (and granted didn't need to make the immediate monetary investment). And while 11 wins is nice, it's not what people have come to expect up there (not least of who, Belichick). So, you still need a QB that can win you games on their own to win Super Bowls (save for the Manning corpses and Trent Dilfers of the world that were propped up by all-time defenses). At a certain point you need to take a gamble and it certainly seems like keeping and paying Jimmy was an educated gamble Belichick was prepared to make.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:11 pm

I'd agree that normally the smart call would be that you take the unsentimental approach and just switch in your Luck for Manning or Rodgers for Favre. I'd just offer that the situation is probably murkier with a QB who just won a Super Bowl, has a historic number of SB wins under his belt, and was holding up at MVP-convo levels up to the trade deadline. If they'd lost against Atlanta, or if Brady showed any significant signs of decline up until the deadline, or if Garoppolo had a can't-miss pedigree like Luck, they would've held onto Garoppolo and been ready to cut or trade Brady. But that didn't happen, so here we are.
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby PrintNoob87 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:58 pm

jkw3000 wrote:I'd agree that normally the smart call would be that you take the unsentimental approach and just switch in your Luck for Manning or Rodgers for Favre. I'd just offer that the situation is probably murkier with a QB who just won a Super Bowl, has a historic number of SB wins under his belt, and was holding up at MVP-convo levels up to the trade deadline.

Counter-point:
pewter14 wrote:Image
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:07 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:I'd agree that normally the smart call would be that you take the unsentimental approach and just switch in your Luck for Manning or Rodgers for Favre. I'd just offer that the situation is probably murkier with a QB who just won a Super Bowl, has a historic number of SB wins under his belt, and was holding up at MVP-convo levels up to the trade deadline.

Counter-point:
pewter14 wrote:Image

Counter-counter-point: that OJ is da REAL MVP.
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby fredo on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:53 pm

Is Garoppolo* elite?

*prononouced kinda like 'Sharapova' (gar-a-PO-lo) in my world
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby RiotAct on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:08 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Speaking of Matt Cassel, that Bills-Jags matchup between Taylor and Bortles - has to be the ugliest game of the weekend, right?

yup... unless you like low-scoring, defensive struggles! (I do).
RiotAct
Art Freak

1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.

Postby jjttdw on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:36 pm

So does Mariotta let a TD pass and reception on that TD??
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby pewter14 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:38 pm

jjttdw wrote:So does Mariotta let a TD pass and reception on that TD??

Absolutely he does.
pewter14
EB Team

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines

Postby chevyav53 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:09 pm

pewter14 wrote:
jjttdw wrote:So does Mariotta let a TD pass and reception on that TD??

Absolutely he does.

Straight out of a college game, great effort though he should have just commit and ran that in initially....IMO
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby pewter14 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Is KC really going to lose this game?

Edit: Indeed, they did ... never stop being you, Andy Reid.
pewter14
EB Team

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

Postby pewter14 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:36 pm

pewter14
EB Team

Postby smellmysocks73 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:10 am

Atlanta has to be licking their chops about the matchup w Philly sans Wentz.
smellmysocks73
Art Expert

srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".

Postby Philpenn on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:31 am

I'd be hyped even with Wentz. It's the Eagles.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Postby FrankBooth on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Think the Ram's had the pieces but there was obvious nervousness from the whole group.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby finneganm on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:51 pm

This is not great football...

Go Bills!
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

PreviousNext

Return to Sports