Top Flips for 2017

General art-related discussion.

Postby bulkhead72 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:37 pm

But seriously though, in an age of hacking, I find this crypto market quite scary. Maybe I am not just well versed, but are their safeguards in place that would prevent hacking of Bitcoin accounts (or provide remedies?), or are they as susceptible as anything out there?

At least banks are FDIC insured, have fraud prevention, etc.
User avatar
bulkhead72
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9441
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles

Postby RPuzio77 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:45 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:But seriously though, in an age of hacking, I find this crypto market quite scary. Maybe I am not just well versed, but are their safeguards in place that would prevent hacking of Bitcoin accounts (or provide remedies?), or are they as susceptible as anything out there?

At least banks are FDIC insured, have fraud prevention, etc.



Bulk, from what I understand and trust me its probably just my very elementary understanding of both Bitcoin and other cryptos, is that what makes Bit especially appealing
and game changing is its network structure and the breakthrough that it was in decentralized computing regarding networks and such, but what concerns me though and I'm sure even some "bitcoin millionaires" is while Gold Standard loons and believers in the Austrian School, such as F. Hayek, and his concerns about "fiat" or paper money backed not by a hard commodity such as gold, but more by the push and pull of supply and demand, the currency is not worth the paper that it is printed on. I wonder how people that are concerned with such things and scoff at the idea of the 'full Faith and Credit of the US Govt." are more then willing to risk something that has to be "mined" and isn't backed by anything of really value other then faith in a computer, but again this is a very over-simplistic explanation and opinion but give me dollars you can be bitcoin rich all day.
RPuzio77
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Postby comountaingolf on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:12 pm

If anything, it proves that limited 'nothing' is worth something if enough people get behind it. How long that value holds is another question. The tech behind crypto is where the breakthrough is... the resulting 'currency' will eventually be an afterthought. But that's only one opinion in a sea of opinions.
User avatar
comountaingolf
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9792
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: The 19th Hole
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!


Image THC X 8

Postby GoBluePanic on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 pm

jjttdw wrote:If we are going to have Failips, we may as well have the top flips.

I'll start, We the People, signed and numbered.

http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/234742

$2k for a $300 investment was not bad.


Yep, that was a good one.

$1500 for a gold variant of Spusta Jerry bicycle day wasn't bad either.
User avatar
GoBluePanic
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2022
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am
I'm not someone else.

Postby RPuzio77 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Just a follow up to my point there was once a time that we might all be able to remember when Mortgage bonds were the next great financial instrument, and they were rated AAA and sold to Pension funds and a lot of other sucks as safe investment options, we saw how that ended up for the Global Economy, the U.S. Taxpayer, and everyone's 401k plans etc, the only winners were the thieves, oh I mean bankers that walked off with their gold parachutes and million dollar bonuses while the rest of us paid for their stupidity, hubris, and most importantly FRAUD. Not saying that bit or crypto will end blowing up our economy, but at least what I have read the necessary transparency for a safe and fair market seems to be lacking at this point, I have read stories of currency manipulation even in Bit.
Last edited by RPuzio77 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RPuzio77
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Postby RPuzio77 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:21 pm

comountaingolf wrote:If anything, it proves that limited 'nothing' is worth something if enough people get behind it. How long that value holds is another question. The tech behind crypto is where the breakthrough is... the resulting 'currency' will eventually be an afterthought. But that's only one opinion in a sea of opinions.



Golf, that was what I also that read, the tech is the breakthrough not currency.
RPuzio77
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Postby RPuzio77 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 pm

But fudge what do I know I'm long in Prints and Posters.. lol
RPuzio77
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Postby soam24 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:25 pm

RPuzio77 wrote:
bulkhead72 wrote:But seriously though, in an age of hacking, I find this crypto market quite scary. Maybe I am not just well versed, but are their safeguards in place that would prevent hacking of Bitcoin accounts (or provide remedies?), or are they as susceptible as anything out there?

At least banks are FDIC insured, have fraud prevention, etc.



Bulk, from what I understand and trust me its probably just my very elementary understanding of both Bitcoin and other cryptos, is that what makes Bit especially appealing
and game changing is its network structure and the breakthrough that it was in decentralized computing regarding networks and such, but what concerns me though and I'm sure even some "bitcoin millionaires" is while Gold Standard loons and believers in the Austrian School, such as F. Hayek, and his concerns about "fiat" or paper money backed not by a hard commodity such as gold, but more by the push and pull of supply and demand, the currency is not worth the paper that it is printed on. I wonder how people that are concerned with such things and scoff at the idea of the 'full Faith and Credit of the US Govt." are more then willing to risk something that has to be "mined" and isn't backed by anything of really value other then faith in a computer, but again this is a very over-simplistic explanation and opinion but give me dollars you can be bitcoin rich all day.



::..takes a bar of gold to try and use in real life to pay for anything..::
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 12225
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards
Image ISO: 1 or 2 Glen Close Phish Tickets

Postby RPuzio77 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm

soam24 wrote:
RPuzio77 wrote:
bulkhead72 wrote:But seriously though, in an age of hacking, I find this crypto market quite scary. Maybe I am not just well versed, but are their safeguards in place that would prevent hacking of Bitcoin accounts (or provide remedies?), or are they as susceptible as anything out there?

At least banks are FDIC insured, have fraud prevention, etc.



Bulk, from what I understand and trust me its probably just my very elementary understanding of both Bitcoin and other cryptos, is that what makes Bit especially appealing
and game changing is its network structure and the breakthrough that it was in decentralized computing regarding networks and such, but what concerns me though and I'm sure even some "bitcoin millionaires" is while Gold Standard loons and believers in the Austrian School, such as F. Hayek, and his concerns about "fiat" or paper money backed not by a hard commodity such as gold, but more by the push and pull of supply and demand, the currency is not worth the paper that it is printed on. I wonder how people that are concerned with such things and scoff at the idea of the 'full Faith and Credit of the US Govt." are more then willing to risk something that has to be "mined" and isn't backed by anything of really value other then faith in a computer, but again this is a very over-simplistic explanation and opinion but give me dollars you can be bitcoin rich all day.



::..takes a bar of gold to try and use in real life to pay for anything..::



This, so very much this.. Thanks Soma
RPuzio77
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Postby soam24 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:39 pm

:D
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 12225
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards
Image ISO: 1 or 2 Glen Close Phish Tickets

Postby 63schoeffling on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:49 pm

There are devices that store tokens offline that can’t be hacked. Also, you can just use paper wallets as well where only you can access it. I agree that idk how much of the currency will be the long term value, but blockchain tech is what will change the world (potentially).

But in terms of prints, I guess that Invader one has to be the biggest. Can’t think of anything else.
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am
ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby RPuzio77 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:11 pm

Really not that much of a risk if your flipping prints (Buy Low/Sell High) or even selling them as the artist for bitcoin, fudge if I had any artistic talent I would make a run of say 300 of some stupid image sell half for good old fashioned greenbacks and sell the remained for bit or other cryptos, whats your down side a grand maybe less, trading in bit is a whole different game, gotta be in it to win it, but then again I have no skin in the bitcoin game, as I said before I'm long the print game.. so who's the sucker
RPuzio77
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Postby plaink on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:22 pm

I read this blockchain skeptic's name as Stinkbomb at first, should be interesting to see if it generates a lot of good counterargument.

https://hackernoon.com/ten-years-in-nob ... e98c180100
User avatar
plaink
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:51 am

Postby Codeblue on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:24 am

Let me play teh roll of hax on dis one. Dat duke above is #fakenews



P.S. #whatisabitcoin #luls
User avatar
Codeblue
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 49642
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby bkboy77 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:28 am

63schoeffling wrote:There are devices that store tokens offline that can’t be hacked. Also, you can just use paper wallets as well where only you can access it. I agree that idk how much of the currency will be the long term value, but blockchain tech is what will change the world (potentially).

But in terms of prints, I guess that Invader one has to be the biggest. Can’t think of anything else.


You mean the most advanced mode of payment that will replace fiat currency will need to be printed on a piece of paper and kept in a safe so that no one can hack it?
User avatar
bkboy77
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8551
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Burger King
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.

PreviousNext

Return to Art Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andyfarrimond, DidYouSeeMeEscaping, eb4eb4eb4eb4, infrared90s and 15 guests