All things Esao Andrews

General art-related discussion.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm

nevadinova wrote:
lemtar999 wrote:And soooooooooooold

So...what's the consensus. Do we think this sell-out is legit? For Esao, I absolutely hope so...that would mean an amazing Christmas bone-us for Soybean.
Easy with the low-key assault on Esao’s ethics there chief. This ain’t MBW we are talking about.
RambosRemodeler wrote:
jeffzilla wrote:very e-z
I think he got the edition size/price/print size ratio bang on
Agreed on price and size. Not on edition size.
Nope, he nailed all 3 on this one. :clap:
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Glad to see that price/size/run sold out. The man and the art deserve it. :pint:
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
jeffzilla
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:05 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
nevadinova wrote:
lemtar999 wrote:And soooooooooooold

So...what's the consensus. Do we think this sell-out is legit? For Esao, I absolutely hope so...that would mean an amazing Christmas bone-us for Soybean.
Easy with the low-key assault on Esao’s ethics there chief. This ain’t MBW we are talking about.
RambosRemodeler wrote:
jeffzilla wrote:very e-z
I think he got the edition size/price/print size ratio bang on
Agreed on price and size. Not on edition size.
Nope, he nailed all 3 on this one. :clap:
I think the fact there was no insta-sell out or 20 min sell out means everyone who was around on drop that wanted one, got one.
Congrats to Esao!
taylorph
Art Expert

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:04 pm

I like what he did with this release.

After seeing the OG in person, I would have passed on the print if it was any smaller than 36 x 30. There is so much going on in the image that it would have gotten muddled if it was shrunk down too small.

The edition and price was pretty huge but it gave his fans who are f5 noobs a chance to pick up something direct from the artist. I'm kind of glad so many people flaked on the original commish because he ended up selling way more than we would have ordered. It wont be a flipper but I'm glad I get to enjoy it.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...
meskell
Art Expert

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 pm

taylorph wrote: I'm kind of glad so many people flaked on the original commish because he ended up selling way more than we would have ordered.
This was almost a thing?!?!
I remember when Esao was on DVDASA and Choe told him he had to stop doing group shows. And for the most part, from that moment, he has. I can think of the Gilded Age and the recent beinart gallery show but nothing else comes to mind. I think it was a smart choice. Sounds like Choe needs to have another talk with him. :D
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:07 pm

meskell wrote:
taylorph wrote: I'm kind of glad so many people flaked on the original commish because he ended up selling way more than we would have ordered.
This was almost a thing?!?!
I remember when Esao was on DVDASA and Choe told him he had to stop doing group shows. And for the most part, from that moment, he has. I can think of the Gilded Age and the recent beinart gallery show but nothing else comes to mind. I think it was a smart choice. Sounds like Choe needs to have another talk with him. :D
What was Choe recommending instead? Solo gallery shows only? Or forgoing the gallery scene entirely?
So it goes...
meskell
Art Expert

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Solo shows. And while I said I agree, I don't think small intimate group shows with two to three others is a bad thing.
taylorph
Art Expert

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:47 pm

IIRC we had a list of almost 50 people and when we started to talk numbers some of them got cold feet. This release worked out much better and ended up being cheaper than the possible commish.

I think Choe was saying that Esao is capable of selling out big solo shows like the Jonathan Levine show he did that year. I don't think small group shows are a bad thing at all though.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Two or three person shows like The Gilded Age are effectively the same as solo shows in my mind. Those two or three people are still the stars of the show. With a large gallery group show, the theme is usually the star of the show. With the two to three person shows, the artists are still the headliners.
So it goes...
taylorph
Art Expert

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:58 pm

meskell
Art Expert

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:04 pm

Outside an original, a commish, however, is not a step forward.
bmd1191
Art Expert

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Hugs just landed early for me. Tracking said Monday. Wow this thing is so colorful in person. Amazing job. Heres a quick iphone shot everyone.

Also no golden ticket for me, so all your odds just got a little better lol.
lemtar999
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Mine showed up today. I haven't had a chance to unpack it yet maybe tomorrow.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:38 pm

I discovered why my company's proxy is blocking Esao's site. Apparently our corporate IT uses Symantec's Bluecoat classifications for what it blocks against. And bluecoat has Esao's site classified as having "Entertainment" and "Nudity". And it's the nudity classification that's causing our company to block it. https://sitereview.bluecoat.com/siterev ... sao.net%2F
Looks like it hasn't been reviewed in ages, so I submitted request for re-review, and explained it's an art portfolio site. If bluecoat changes its classification, our proxies will pick it up and allow it again. I know one other person, at least, mentioned they were experiencing the same at their office. So hopefully this gets fixed for both. :pint:
So it goes...
jayper
Art Expert

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:26 pm

mfaith wrote:I discovered why my company's proxy is blocking Esao's site. Apparently our corporate IT uses Symantec's Bluecoat classifications for what it blocks against. And bluecoat has Esao's site classified as having "Entertainment" and "Nudity". And it's the nudity classification that's causing our company to block it. https://sitereview.bluecoat.com/siterev ... sao.net%2F
Looks like it hasn't been reviewed in ages, so I submitted request for re-review, and explained it's an art portfolio site. If bluecoat changes its classification, our proxies will pick it up and allow it again. I know one other person, at least, mentioned they were experiencing the same at their office. So hopefully this gets fixed for both. :pint:
Good man!