Can we get a Video Game subforum?

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
davemfan
Art Expert

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:21 pm

Bikejoh wrote:Totally forgot I bought Wolfenstein 2 and installed it overnight :rock:
how is it? game play on youtube looks pretty bad ass and i'm not very fond of 1st person games.
ImageImageImage
lemtar999
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:14 pm

davemfan wrote:
Bikejoh wrote:Totally forgot I bought Wolfenstein 2 and installed it overnight :rock:
how is it? game play on youtube looks pretty bad ass and i'm not very fond of 1st person games.
Its real good.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:03 am

It's awesome, more connection between the two games than I expected. I hadn't played the first one, so I refunded at $60 and bought the first for $20. Same with Shadow of War, waiting for the steam Christmas sale. Can't justify paying $60 for one-time 10-12 hour experiences anymore (unless it's DOOM)
ChrisV
Art Expert

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:05 am

This Xbox One X is a goddamn beast. Makes old games new again. Love it!
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:50 pm

for anyone still looking for a SNES Classic, call your local Gamestop. they've been getting restocks each week, no advertising. according to my local rep, that is. just snagged one for a gift.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Thoughts on BF2: people don't know what "pay to win" means, they just drymounting suck.

I despise EA as much as the next guy, but the progression system is great. There's plenty of depth and tons of cool stuff to unlock. WAY too good of a game to pass up because of the huge microtransaction backlash. People just like to bitch.
TKuczynski
Art Expert

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Bikejoh wrote:People just like to bitch.
Not really.

The backlash was huge because the issue is huge and with a game that has such a large audience someone finally realized these predatory tactics need to be reined in.
lemtar999
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:40 pm

Bikejoh wrote:Thoughts on BF2: people don't know what "pay to win" means, they just drymounting suck.

I despise EA as much as the next guy, but the progression system is great. There's plenty of depth and tons of cool stuff to unlock. WAY too good of a game to pass up because of the huge microtransaction backlash. People just like to bitch.
Completely disagree with you on this. The micro transactions in that game are bullshit and they did it because they thought they could get away with it. It has nothing to do with being pay to win.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:49 pm

I thought the progression would be intentionally miserable so you'd be more inclined to spend money to skip it, but it's actually perfectly fine. Loot crates are completely random, as they always have been, spending money on them is literally gambling. You aren't "buying an advantage" if you get a victory pose and a shitty star card for a class you don't play. A level 1 can still go in with the stock weapon and no star cards or upgrades, play the objective with the team, top the scoreboard, and win the match.

You can unlock any star card in the entire game and upgrade it to the max level using crafting parts from challenges and crates, but you can't just buy crates for crafting parts and boost any card to the max level because there's a rank requirement to upgrade to each tier. You get plenty of crafting parts just from playing the game.

Yes, EA is scummy for selling in game currency used to buy the same exact fudge you get from playing the game normally, but there's nothing predatory about it. TF2 has done the same fudge for years, even before they were free to play. A brand new player doesn't have access to all the weapons until they play the game for a while, OR they can spend money to get them quicker. It's completely, 100% optional.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:04 pm

I don't care about the micro transactions, because I'd never buy anything. What I hate are drymounting loot boxes. Sick of every game having these random unlocks. Let me play the game and unlock better fudge through simply playing it.
drymount that game. It's a shame too because it does look good, even though I disliked the beta.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Yep, it's annoying as drymount. Once TF2 made a metric fuckton when they brought in random rewards from paid crates, everyone started doing it.. it's a guaranteed way to milk cash, you better believe EA is gonna pick it up too.
RiotAct
EB Team

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:48 pm

pretty soon every single video game in every single genre will be doing the same thing that the money-grubbing scumbags at EA are doing.
ChrisV
Art Expert

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 am

I don't mind loot boxes when it's strictly cosmetic stuff, but when it's stuff that actually makes an impact on gameplay, then drymount that. I saw a video of a guy that paid $100 and upgraded his A-Wing and just dominated with a 20% better turn rate and something like a 30% damage increase...IN MULTIPLAYER. I'm glad they removed them, but EA never would have removed them if Disney didn't bring down the hammer.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:33 pm

When turn rate and damage are about the only factors involved in this game's dogfights... yeah that's bullshit.
ToonKiller
Art Expert

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm

No real surprise with Peter Moore coming from Xbox to EA that they'd find a new way to nickel and dime gamers following the Microsoft fudge on gamers business model.