LEGO - The thread.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
schmoff
Art Expert

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:36 pm

I have an extra sports set from bricktober last year I would love to trade for a Batman one
starkdesign
Art Expert

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:29 am

Saw Phasma and Finn Brickheadz are on lego.com now too, kinda cool

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Captain-Phasma-41486

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Finn-41485
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
chimpun
Art Expert

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:06 am

I want to like the Batman set more, but the only one I really dig is the Bunny Costume.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Anyone else in here attend Mondocon this year? I didn't run into anybody I knew, but figured I would ask anyways!

Well, while in Austin for MC, I swung by the LEGO store in the mall to pick up a few items, just because I hadn't already spent enough this weekend lol. Was able to get the new Seasonal set: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Winter-Vill ... tion-10259

Also had to pick up the harvest set for this year's turkey day: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Thanksgiving-Harvest-40261

Was bummed that they didn't have any of the Halloween sets still, oh well!

And snagged those two new smalls for xmas, the train ride and town square!
https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Christmas-Train-Ride-40262
https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Christmas-Town-Square-40263

I also chatted a bit with Billy, a solid dude working that day. He told me that nutcracker set that is a promo later this month is awesome, so now I gotta find another $100 worth of stuff to purchase this month lol shouldn't be too difficult.

and he let me know more about the UCS MF set...figured I would ask for anyone here that is still looking/ISO. Basically their perception is the same, it was a nightmare of a drop and a total mess. Their store got 4 at launch? and a few more (10 or so) a few days later. and then ~10 a week or two after that. Each shipment was sold as soon as doors opened. and employees didn't get a break on the price, were basically encouraged to wait on buying it.

and it sounds like a restock won't happen until next year. which is prob why all the catalogs and magazines from LEGO recently don't even show it as a set. But they certainly have it on display in the store lol, that display is front and center (and awesome).

so yeah, if you were hoping to get it for someone for xmas, it might be hopeless unless you wanna pay the flipper price on ebay etc. sorry :(
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
KSUvet
Art Expert

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:32 pm

I will never understand that. It's not like there's a raw material shortage or a need for skilled labor assembly. It's molded plastic! They should be churning these out by the thousands.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
starkdesign
Art Expert

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Totally forgot, got the new NASA set too, was a no-brainer lol after missing out on the previous minifig science set ughhhhh
starkdesign
Art Expert

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:35 pm

starkdesign wrote:Totally forgot, got the new NASA set too, was a no-brainer lol after missing out on the previous minifig science set ughhhhh
Built this last night, and man I kinda want to buy a second copy of it just for the mini shuttle and hubble telescope lol, love those micro builds!
chimpun
Art Expert

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Nice score from your recent visit, Stark! Interesting that employees can't use their discounts on the MFer yet, but not too surprising. I figured they just wouldn't be allowed to buy them outright unless they put their names on the list at another store, I suppose. Funny story with the Research Institute set: I gave it to my wife, who was very appreciative. When she opened it, she ripped the instruction book to separate the builds so the boys could help her with it at the same time. She was not aware of the scarcity of the set at the time. I still remember screaming What are you doing?! in slow motion as I could see the little fibers of paper scatter through the air as she ripped the poor booklet's spine. It was a nice booklet too, not just folded in half and jammed into the box like a regular set.

TL;DR - Wife is not an AFOL, at least not the degree of her wacky husband.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:04 pm

chimpun wrote:Nice score from your recent visit, Stark! Interesting that employees can't use their discounts on the MFer yet, but not too surprising. I figured they just wouldn't be allowed to buy them outright unless they put their names on the list at another store, I suppose. Funny story with the Research Institute set: I gave it to my wife, who was very appreciative. When she opened it, she ripped the instruction book to separate the builds so the boys could help her with it at the same time. She was not aware of the scarcity of the set at the time. I still remember screaming What are you doing?! in slow motion as I could see the little fibers of paper scatter through the air as she ripped the poor booklet's spine. It was a nice booklet too, not just folded in half and jammed into the box like a regular set.

TL;DR - Wife is not an AFOL, at least not the degree of her wacky husband.

oh man that would kill me lol.
chimpun
Art Expert

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Haha! That gif captures the moment perfectly!
starkdesign
Art Expert

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Just saw a link to this in my feed, figured it was perfect for us here lol

http://brickarchitect.com/guide/

haven't read any of it, but I'll try to later. I am TERRIBLE at keeping my bricks sorted...well, I had them really sorted well pre-kids. but now its a lost cause until they are all in their teens I feel like lol
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:23 am

Star Wars VIP cards shipping. I'm unreasonably excited to get mine.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:57 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:Star Wars VIP cards shipping. I'm unreasonably excited to get mine.
LOL just pulled the page up to post the same thing! :D
jmagee87
Art Expert

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:19 am

Decided to start a new Christmas tradition this year. We’re going to get the new winter village piece every year for our son, and when he moves out he can take it with him. So I grabbed last years train and this years set. Looking forward to building them!
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
ajmmck
Art Expert

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:42 pm

jmagee87 wrote:Decided to start a new Christmas tradition this year. We’re going to get the new winter village piece every year for our son, and when he moves out he can take it with him. So I grabbed last years train and this years set. Looking forward to building them!
I was thinking of doing the same thing and setting it up every year. Is it just under the City family or are the certain Christmas sets i can narrow my search to?