Looking for vintage travel posters... where?

General art-related discussion.
jrm27
Art Enthusiast

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to put some vintage travel posters on my home-walls. Where in the world should I be looking? Looking specifically for London/Paris/Amsterdam/Jerusalem/Mexico/Moscow/Sydney... Really, vintage original would be awesome, but are there other current artists who are making cool screenprinted travel posters?

Anywhere I should be looking? Thanks!

-jon
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Save 'original travel poster' and 'vintage travel poster' to your eBay searches.

Otherwise you'll pay a huge premium from the many dealers that offer them.
jrm27
Art Enthusiast

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:05 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Save 'original travel poster' and 'vintage travel poster' to your eBay searches.

Otherwise you'll pay a huge premium from the many dealers that offer them.
good thinking! For some reason I always tend to overlook eBay...
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:04 pm

emovieposter.com

They sell mainly original movie theater posters but from time to time they have some vintage travel posters and when they do they group them together so a few to pick from.
I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
littleredcap
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Ford Craftsman Studios might have some stuff you'd be interested in: http://fordcraftsmanonline.com/
Hutwe
Art Expert

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:13 pm

I've found EBay is usually the best place to find vintage posters. Dealers can be expensive, however you're also usually getting excellent condition, restored, cleaned, and linen mounted. I've had excellent luck searching EBay France using French key words, but this can be tedious when I'm doing very vague searches. I discover a lot of new stuff this way though..
PM me if you have any questions about vintage posters. They got me into the screen print world, but still definitely my first love.
jrm27
Art Enthusiast

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:26 pm

letstalkprints wrote:emovieposter.com

They sell mainly original movie theater posters but from time to time they have some vintage travel posters and when they do they group them together so a few to pick from.
I'll check that out! Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't have thought to look there for travel stuff.
littleredcap wrote:Ford Craftsman Studios might have some stuff you'd be interested in: http://fordcraftsmanonline.com/
Indeed, they did have some stuff for me to consider, the Durieux stuff is top-notch as always. Thanks!
Hutwe wrote:I've found EBay is usually the best place to find vintage posters. Dealers can be expensive, however you're also usually getting excellent condition, restored, cleaned, and linen mounted. I've had excellent luck searching EBay France using French key words, but this can be tedious when I'm doing very vague searches. I discover a lot of new stuff this way though..
PM me if you have any questions about vintage posters. They got me into the screen print world, but still definitely my first love.
Yeah, there's a lot of stuff on eBay for sure. I've really taken a shine to David Klein's work for TWA, but man... the ones that I like are crazy. I hate the thought of buying bootleg prints and crappy reproductions though. I'm trying to find places that may have the rights to sell/reprint giclees even (though I'm definitely a screenprint nerd), but since TWA is defunct and Mr. Klein has passed on, there's not much info out there. I'm not too concerned with excellent condition, or linen mounted posters.. if it's original and the price is right, I dont midn paying less for some "patina" :) Sounds like I need to brush up on some ebay French and go looking through their offerings.

I've also stumbled upon the works of Mads Berg over the past few years and figure something like his style could work well too.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Sorry if already called out as only skimmed the thread. Next month there is actually an auction on this specific category. Rare & Important Travel Posters Oct 26, 2017 at 1:30 pm through Swann Galleries with price estimates from $400 all the way up. Had a great experience with Swann in a previous auction.

http://catalogue.swanngalleries.com/asp ... ps=10&pg=1
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:05 pm

go to the Brimfield Flea Market when it happens, theres a dude there for you.

expect to drop $$$
jrm27
Art Enthusiast

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:39 am

chevyav53 wrote:Sorry if already called out as only skimmed the thread. Next month there is actually an auction on this specific category. Rare & Important Travel Posters Oct 26, 2017 at 1:30 pm through Swann Galleries with price estimates from $400 all the way up. Had a great experience with Swann in a previous auction.

Legit, I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up!
danieldanger wrote:go to the Brimfield Flea Market when it happens, theres a dude there for you.

expect to drop $$$
Looks like I might need to haul out MA for the good stuff! And, if anyone knows where the good stuff is, I'm assuming its Daniel Danger. Thanks for the resource!
frykitty
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:04 pm

I was in a cool print shop in Sri lanka, bought a great poster from there. they are all reproductions though.

https://sticknobillsonline.com/

edit, I have no idea about their shipping policies..
ImageImageImage
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:52 am

Just bumping for those interested as auction is tomorrow.