Site Update - Capital Fundraising

Official Expresso Beans Art News.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:11 pm

finneganm wrote:Will there be an integrated emulator for old Sierra On-Line games? If not, why?
Only Oregon Trail
So it goes...
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Dysentery! Sweet!
That's what she said
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 pm

SPOILER ALERT!
So it goes...
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:16 pm

We're not talking about MASSIVE FEES. You make it sound like we want to be the eBay of the art world. We are well aware that we ALL hate paying fees to sell on eBay - takes a bite and means you have to ask a higher sell price (relative to what you're willing to take on a direct sale). But I think what's being asked for -- note that nothing has been set and even if/when the time comes, it's ADJUSTABLE -- is something more like 1-2%. When you can't handle $1-2 to go to the site you're using to sell a $100 print... kinda sad.
As I said, if people were consistent and actively putting back to the site when they made a sale using EB, I don't think this would be any issue. But it VERY rarely happens (my guess would be less than 1 in a 100). And that's just from what I see and know by watching the forums - doesn't count any sales that happen just by people hooking up using ISO and FS lists. This is meant to make it a bit of a requirement IF you want to use the new selling option.
HOWEVER at the same time (as I mentioned), the use of the storefront to sell stuff (from what I understand) will not be something you have to do. It's just more of a "if you want to give buyers the chance to pick it up at the price you've set, then you're agreeing to give EB a kickback". If you don't like that, then just sell by posting on the forums and/or making deals the current way.
If you're not familiar with those style of sites (discogs being the one that I'm most familiar with) then I'd suggest taking a look. It's not about "retailers". It's about allowing an individual to set up more of a storefront style setting where someone can see that you've listed an item at a certain price. If they click it to buy, they can pay right then and you make the sale - take out the whole discussion and wait aspect. One of the biggest things from new/unfamiliar users is that they see something, but have to learn how to get in contact with an actual seller to pick it up. This alleviates much of that by allowing a rogue buyer to come in, see it for sale, and make immediate contact for purchase.

Again, this is also not something set in stone. It's an IDEA. The change to the format of the user account lists is something we've planned for and will almost certainly progress with. But the "fee to EB" portion is only an element of that. If we're in need of generating income to keep the site going, it's what I would say is a likely option. There aren't a whole lot of others out there for us. Annual membership fee? Nope. Want a whole bunch of advertising banners all over the site? Ugh. How about selling a interest in the site off? Kind of defeats what we're doing as a whole. Income has to come from somewhere.

This is pretty much the end of this discussion (this aspect, I mean) for me. Just a heads-up. I'm not going to try and argue our position nor debate on the forums about things which the leadership of the site has already discussed for some time.
Tra la la la la...
fredo
Art God

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Will I see grampy in new EB?
just a foil for me today, thanks
turnJBup
Art Freak

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:32 pm

1-2% is great... It would add up without causing a dramatic change.

Not sure how often the proposed buy it now button would be used... Or if it's implementation would be cost effective.
Even with extensive feedback I find that most new members want pictures and a short essay.

I was unaware that discogs taxed so much... Found out the hard way when I listed a record for what I thought I would actually receive. It's not cheap.

Thanks for the explanation...
School
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:26 pm

$10 Sent Thanks For The Great Site
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:11 am

Y’all want low fees? Getcha ass on blockchain!!!
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:22 am

earlgreytoast wrote:We're gonna get there, no problemo. Mitchell and Danger and Doyle will kick down some prints to throw in the mix. Ya heard me fugazi?!? For all the joy you get from coming here and trolling us, ya better! :P
You bring me no joy, EGT.

But I will definitely kick in prints.
You want like- a full set of metallica off-set prints from the VIP series? I can do that.

You jerks.

You know how to email me. Don't PM me here- I'm not here that often...
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:59 am

turnJBup wrote:1-2% is great... It would add up without causing a dramatic change.

Not sure how often the proposed buy it now button would be used... Or if it's implementation would be cost effective.
Even with extensive feedback I find that most new members want pictures and a short essay.

I was unaware that discogs taxed so much... Found out the hard way when I listed a record for what I thought I would actually receive. It's not cheap.

Thanks for the explanation...
Common sense. If we put up a "tax rate" of 10%, why not just go to eBay where your potential visual audience is easily thousands if not millions more than here?
I can see your perspective on if "the button" will be used, but we feel it will. Has more to do with what kinds of items are being sold (the higher the price tag, generally the more detail and conversation people want) and the state of the seller. Honestly, I don't think I've been asked for pix on something $100 or less in years, but that's a personal relation that is going to be different for everyone.
Like I'm saying, the goal of doing a kickback on at least some portion of site sales is to sustain the site, not to have the staff retire off it. It's like we all know... posters aren't a retirement strategy. They're a great way to have art while maybe not digging our selves too much in a financial hole (or at least convincing us that we *could* sell them to break even).
Tra la la la la...
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Goal was always to be even on money in and out.
Laguy34
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:55 pm

donation made. Thank you EB :notworthy:
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 pm

A nominal selling fee would also work to combat the treejams of the world who post fake sales.
ImageT.K.C.
AliRock110
Art Expert

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:07 pm

All I want to know is will I get a "financial contributor" pin so I could enter Kamerica's giveaways.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:16 pm

bryndavies wrote:A nominal selling fee would also work to combat the treejams of the world who post fake sales.
Don't see how? It wouldn't stop people from reporting member sales...
Granted, it might actually get MORE sales in the database though since any one that got paid for via an EB Buy button would likely be able to immediately be logged...
Tra la la la la...