Any middle ground between sleeves & portfolios & flat files?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:05 pm

Oooooo, do I have a new troll to look forward to abusing? Wait, who were you on EB originally?

And just so I understand, you would encourage someone asking the questions in this thread to use brown craft paper in-between their prints for storage if the print was shipped rolled in craft paper, because all damage that could be done has already been done? Just want to be sure I understand what you're saying.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:10 pm

Mind if you get more specific with your source? I'd love to know of someone whose business it is to sell archival prints that would advise using kraft paper for storage.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Well, personally, I would never use kraft paper in-between the prints in my flat file for long term storage. And I THINK you've been misinformed, although I can't prove it. I've only been collecting for about 4 years.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:08 pm

O noe the acids!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
alittle
Art Freak

Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:11 pm

Gotta make sure them Doyles last for 100,000 years.
haven
Art Expert

Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:51 pm

I'd have to say this is all a load of crap. I've got prints I bought 16 years ago, were shipped rolled in craft paper and I'm sure spent a decent amount of time stored in tubes, and they look as pristine as the day I got them.
alittle
Art Freak

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Just wait until the 1000th year...then you'll see.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:54 pm

I use these 2 items and store posters vertically.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-4306-18 ... rints.aspx

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3329-ba ... rints.aspx

There's a thread somewhere about storage that helped me figure out a good system when my artist wife kicked me out of her flat file. Can't find. It but it's in this hill of beans somewhere.
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
haven
Art Expert

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:17 pm

dropdoctor wrote:
haven wrote:I'd have to say this is all a load of crap. I've got prints I bought 16 years ago, were shipped rolled in craft paper and I'm sure spent a decent amount of time stored in tubes, and they look as pristine as the day I got them.

Have no fear, you are not yet even a blip on the archival timeline.
So basically...
alittle wrote:Just wait until the 1000th year...then you'll see.
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:11 am

At that point, wouldnt exposure to air become a factor?

Anyone know where I can find a vacuum chamber flat file?
TuzaHu

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:11 pm

I was a picture framer for over 30 years. Years ago mylar sheets were used to make closed packets for artwork. using an acid free adhesive you could encapsulate the piece presumably to protect the piece from the environment. Good idea until years later when the pieces of art were being noticed to have accelerated aging signs. As anything ages it slowly breaks down, including acid free paper, it emits a gas that when contained can become acid. Sealing the paper inside air tight the gas given off from the paper, ink, paint, etc of the piece had no where to go, combined with gas from other parts of the item and quickly developed into a toxic environment that caused the art to age much more rapidly than in any other means.

placing in mylar sheets with the top open can assist in letting the ink, paint, paper gasses to escape but towards the bottom it could still become air tight. Along with mylar not allowing for the paper to breath and evaporate humidity during season changes, moisture can develop between the art and the sheet. Mylar does a good job at remaining acid neutral itself, but if the art is slowly emitting gas, moisture, the art itself will suffer, not the mylar. Paper needs to breath, expand during higher moisture times of the year and contract during dryer times of the year. It needs air to let natural gasses emitted from the art to be taken away. If you are not handling pieces that much using acid free tissue paper, or the acid free foam core products (the paper on each side of the foam is acid neutral). You can ( well we use to be able to order) acid free cotton gloves to wear when ever handling artwork, to keep it free of oils, grime, etc. They could be washed in the laundry.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 pm

Huh?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Codeblue wrote:Huh?
if you fart in a space suit, your gonna small like sh!t
ajharrington321
Art Expert

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:19 pm

You can get 10 packs of 24 x 36 museum quality bags on Framedestination.com or about $15.00. There is even a $10 off coupon that works with the order so that's pretty cheap!

https://www.framedestination.com/framin ... -bags.html