Can I get a crease out of a print?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
VenomAT
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Bought the marko manev star wars trilogy from someone late last year and thought all was well. I did inspect when I got them, but didn't see a crease in the black section of the return of the jedi print. At this stage way to late to return, but wondering if I have any options to get that crease out, or stuck with it?
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 am

You can get some great results using the back of a tablespoon to smooth out the crease. Ideally, put some glassine on either side of the print and smooth it on one side, then flip over and do it from the other side. Light pressure at first, then increase as you see fit. This can lessen most creases but you will probably still be able to see it if you look closely.

If the crease really bothers you or is very bad, you can send the print to a poster restoration company like Poster Mountain. They can work wonders, but it will cost upwards of $100.

Good luck!
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
thefool
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:58 am

You should test spooning on a print that you don't care about first. Also - note that spooning can make the area shiny (especially on black paper).
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:06 am

Not if you use glassine on either side.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:09 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Not if you use glassine on either side.
Interesting EGT