World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Danno1
Art Expert

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Baker wrote:Anybody else watching the mess on facebook unfold with the guy that was refilling/sealing bottles and mostly selling them off in Megas. Probably talking 10s of thousands the guy scammed.

Wow. I un-followed all those groups but still belong. There is a net flix doc on a guy who was doing this with wine. His I believe reached the MILLIONS!
stay thirsty my friends
fredo
Art God

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Danno1 wrote:
Baker wrote:Anybody else watching the mess on facebook unfold with the guy that was refilling/sealing bottles and mostly selling them off in Megas. Probably talking 10s of thousands the guy scammed.

Wow. I un-followed all those groups but still belong. There is a net flix doc on a guy who was doing this with wine. His I believe reached the MILLIONS!
I saw that wine doc. Looks like dude wasnt at it alone took the fall for a larger entity. Also he got 12 years(!). Which is what happens when you screw a Koch brother.
just a foil for me today, thanks
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Danno1 wrote:

Yeah. Sucks for those who bought from him. And some good detective work from those guys who found him out. Depending on how much he defrauded people, he might actually get prosecuted.
swtworld41
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:30 pm

jrsheppa wrote:
Danno1 wrote:

Yeah. Sucks for those who bought from him. And some good detective work from those guys who found him out. Depending on how much he defrauded people, he might actually get prosecuted.
Think that would be kind of hard to do considering these groups are all very questionable at best when it comes to liquor laws. If someone decides to turn him in, it could cause a ripple effect that nobody that are in these groups wants. However, they have his personal info as well as the name of the business that he works for and his father owns, so destroying is life in other ways is not out of the question.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Dang, I am in those groups and haven't seen anything. Goddamn BS Mondo fudge clogging my feed.
natepachl
Art Expert

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:32 pm

jjbehren wrote:Burnsville.

Did you score a Vanilla Rye?
Nah, didn't get up early enough. Roseville had a max of 90 people in line. Almost everyone got bourbon....worked out nice.
I wouldn't deal with JakeStanley / eBay user fratdaddyjake
Danno1
Art Expert

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Was given this as a birthday gift 2 weeks ago. I hadn't cracked it open because I honestly thought it was going to be a bummer. 2 year age statement and fairly light in color through the bottle.

Firstly this is the NDP product sold before MGP acquired the brand. Batch #3 at 93.8 proof. Still a MGP juice, and we decided to give it a shot this evening. We are both pleasantly surprised with it. A blind test would never have me guessing at a 2 year age statement. Honestly I would have guessed 5-6. Has a light nose with a faint sweetness to it. On the toungue it has a heavier rye flavor followed by a soft sweetness. Personally I think it is extremely close to Willetts Bardstown BIB in every category except color.

I tried a second drink on the rocks and really liked it. The ice and chill really tamed the rye for me and made it much smoother, but also stole some of the original soft sweetness.

At $42 I would not recommend it to anyone other then those who simply wish to give it a try. It's not bad at all but over priced for me personally considering the Willett Btown
BIB which is almost identical to me goes for $21.

It has given me a great interest in the NDP SB and Port finished though provided I can find them.
stay thirsty my friends
Cragars
Art Expert

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:19 am

Nikka Coffey was aight
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:47 pm

I believe the bourbon fad is fading a bit. I am finding a lot more now then I ever could a year or two ago. Was in Akron, OH on business and found a store with a complete stock of a lot of things that were just about impossible to track down in the past. 4 bottles of 1792 Sweet Wheat, 8 Col Taylor Small Batch, 10 Eagle Rare. In Ohio anyway I can't recall ever seeing any of these actually available besides the odd single bottle of Eagle Rare here and there.

Now I am just waiting on the Bookers to fall back down to the $47 range. I am completely out but will not pay $70. But damn I gotta admit I really, really miss having a bottle around.
stay thirsty my friends
mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:21 pm

For those who haven't tried it yet, I'd highly recommend the Russell's Reserve single barrel bourbon. I almost closed the door on this bourbon, because I got a bottle awhile ago that just wasn't very good. It was all wood and tannin, no caramel goodness. But the bottle I cracked last week is some bourbon perfection. I believe that this is extra-aged honey barrels of Wild Turkey, so the flavor profile falls in the WT101 zone.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Danno1 wrote:Now I am just waiting on the Bookers to fall back down to the $47 range. I am completely out but will not pay $70. But damn I gotta admit I really, really miss having a bottle around.
I'm sitting on 10 bottles (all different batches/unopened). I also found a good use for the boxes. I don't have a decent wine rack and the wood boxes make nice little coffins for my bottles that are stashed for special occasions.

I found a 1792 Sweet Wheat (it was on my hunting list) and was disappointed upon trying it. kinda medicinal, IMO.

This months score is my new favorite. Smooth Amble Old Scout Single Barrel 10 year. A perfect 10 from the 1st pour. No waiting a month for the bottle to open up. Just a great bourbon ready to enjoy. The nose is fantastic t'boot. It's in the exact same bottle as Eagle Rare, which unfortunately is too tall for my cabinet ...1st world problems.
time
Art Expert

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:21 am

Good luck on Booker's dropping in price. Doesn't usually work that way. If you see some at the "old" price, probably a good idea to get it. And I'm exhausted by the discussions on FB about these guys (there are at least 2 of them) who were refilling bottles and selling/swapping them. Makes me feel better than I haven't bought or swapped, since I always saw what looked like some good deals happening and felt like I might be missing out.
And the SOAS is always a tasty find. Haven't seen any around here for a while. Nice score!
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Pulled 4 OS 10 yr's a few months back online. Tasty indeed and a solid buy @ $55/bottle. Never found any local, but have had great luck w/B21 out of FL. Signup for their email. $12 ship regardless of amount can't be beat.

They've had the 7 yr too, which is also tasty.

http://www.b-21.com/

None in stock currently other than the "American Whiskey" for $34. A blend that I haven't had, but doesn't get very positive review.
Collect them all. Before you Die®
Danno1
Art Expert

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Sad evening here, just poured my last drink of 4R OESV. My god it is frickin fantastic.

I am holding out for the Bookers to go back on sale. It originally was $70, then they dropped it to $47, then the announcement of its "supposed" limited release status and the jack back up to $70. Like I have said before I can't recall ever walking into any liquor store and it not being readily available, even at the $47 price.

I bought a bottle of Russell's last year I think and was just not impressed, expected a whole lot more from a WT product. I am going for the newest release of Rare Breed this weekend. I believe it's 116.9 and a cool $37.
stay thirsty my friends
electrachrome
Site Admin

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Danno1 wrote:I am holding out for the Bookers to go back on sale. It originally was $70, then they dropped it to $47, then the announcement of its "supposed" limited release status and the jack back up to $70. Like I have said before I can't recall ever walking into any liquor store and it not being readily available, even at the $47 price.
Yea, I'm just not seeing Bookers on on the shelf much anymore. They did manage to clear out a lot of that back inventory when folks thought it was going up to $100/bottle. I never saw the 2016-06 hit the market, nor any bottles of 2017-01. my one regular store had around 8-10 bottle of Off Your Rocker (2016-05), but nothing new since that sold out.

edit:
I found a 2017-01 Tommy's Batch last night. Sure enough ...$77; a $27 price increase. :?