What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:04 pm

NEWPORTS69 wrote:so I was at gala and sittin at bar and random woman asked me what was last book i read and i replied i listened to IT and she goes thats not reading that doesnt count and I replied why not? She laughed and walked away? Do readers look down at those that listen?
Asshole readers do, yes.
NEWPORTS69
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:12 pm

I didnt have to say I listened but last couple books I've listened to in car while driivng. Just came across rude, like I cant read or something? I dont even like keeping books, give or donate them bc they just take up space and I feel people that keep books and display are just showin off, look at all these books I have amassed I am smarter than you but whatever I just was not aware listening was looked down upon
john38103
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 pm

I side with John Waters in this debate.
fredo
Art God

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Reading and being told a story aloud are different ballgames for me. No need to look up/down to/on one or the other, but for NEWP I'd make an exception.
just a foil for me today, thanks
NEWPORTS69
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:39 pm

thanks fredo, glad we can find some common ground for change and john, my books are in computer office that i dont even like going in when home but ok, keep listening to guy with pencil stash
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:59 pm

ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
FroDawg
Art Expert

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Recent fun reads:

Lyin' for a Living, by Steve McCondichie
The Storied Life of AJ Fickrie, by Gabrielle Zevin
Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen
The Impossible Fortress, by Jason Rekulak

Got off non-fiction and biographies and on a novel kick and have enjoyed all of these.
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
HairyHood
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:35 am

I've been off my reading game... need to ease back in with an easy-reading, heavy-hitter (fiction preferably). Any recs? I enjoy a solid story like Stephen King, but I'm really into more literary types like DeLillo, Walker Percy, McCarthy, etc. I was going to start reading Dune by my girlfriend picked it up first and has been working trough it slowly, so I need to find something else.
john38103
Art Expert

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:45 am

I'd recommend Michael Koryta, Dennis Lehane, or Don Winslow. All three have great pacing. Just a lot of fun.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:27 pm

I'd throw John Connolly in there too - great detective series with a slightly super-natural bent. He's got a great voice for his characters and a real sense of poetry in his writing. Above and beyond the average detective novel. The first novel in the Charlie Parker series is Every Dead Thing, but Bad Men is a good solid standalone novel.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:40 pm

I need to check out Don Winslow based on reviews I'm seeing.

My favorite current author (non-super-highbrow-bullshit) is Tana French. Not a misstep yet - some of the best police procedurals I've ever read.
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:41 pm

NEWPORTS69 wrote:I didnt have to say I listened but last couple books I've listened to in car while driivng. Just came across rude, like I cant read or something? I dont even like keeping books, give or donate them bc they just take up space and I feel people that keep books and display are just showin off, look at all these books I have amassed I am smarter than you but whatever I just was not aware listening was looked down upon
Some who keep their books (like me) do so because we either re-read them or we are collectors (okay - hoarders). Unfortunately I'm both...!
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:46 pm

HairyHood wrote:I've been off my reading game... need to ease back in with an easy-reading, heavy-hitter (fiction preferably). Any recs? I enjoy a solid story like Stephen King, but I'm really into more literary types like DeLillo, Walker Percy, McCarthy, etc. I was going to start reading Dune by my girlfriend picked it up first and has been working trough it slowly, so I need to find something else.
If you are interested in Mystery books, Dick Francis is pretty good. His are all involving horses, horse racing, etc. He was a steeplechase jockey back in the day in England and even rode for the Queen. He has about 40-45 books out, and his son Felix has picked up where he left off. Easy, fun reads.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:52 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:I need to check out Don Winslow based on reviews I'm seeing.

My favorite current author (non-super-highbrow-bullshit) is Tana French. Not a misstep yet - some of the best police procedurals I've ever read.
Well worth picking up, Winslow is a solid/well-above-average read every time and sometimes a great read.
ricv64
Art Expert

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:28 pm

hunterjax wrote:Blood Meridian is a tough read, but so worth it. Amazing piece of literature.
yeah tough but worth it

started this

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila