Why are Picture Frames and Matting Boards so Expensive!?!?!

General art-related discussion.
Baker
Art Expert

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Fixed
fredo wrote:Sounds like you are in the wrong hobby.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Baker wrote:Fixed
fredo wrote:Sounds like you are a poor.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
treweman
Art Expert

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Chris217h wrote:Even for the cheapest materials it's $200+ to frame anything of decent size.
Not really.
This. I traditionally pay $200-$300 to have poster sized prints framed, but that price includes all materials (and I generally request double matting, high end custom frames, and conservation glass), and the price includes framing by a professional who takes great pride in his work. I don't resent a penny of it and consider it money well spent.

While I dislike codeblue's use of "poor," you are apparently a cheap bastard, and a complainer. So make your own damn frames. The Florida Highwaymen did this, and sold thousands of paintings with simple frames made from the kind of moulding found at house construction sites. If you don't know the 26 artists who make up the Florida Highwaymen, look it up, but they are highly collectible, and paintings with original (but cheap) frames are worth more than those with more expensive, fancy frames. Follow their lead, and shut the hell up. Daddy doesn't like whiners.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:14 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Baker wrote:Fixed
fredo wrote:Sounds like you have velcro straps on your shoes.
zeero
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22 pm

Chris217h wrote:
Nah, I'll just buy extras and sell them. I'm not going to spend my money on overpriced stuff out of principle, but the people who spend 10-20 times what I payed for the print can.
Unlike everyone else, I gave you a proper analysis of why these things aren't cheap, but you just keep insisting they are overpriced. Do you go around complaining about world hunger too?
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:24 pm

Framers, producers of mats, fillets, liners, and frames all want a piece of the action. They saw the boom in the print market, saw the prices that some of the flippers were getting, and have been raising prices ever since. Once this collectible genre's bubble bursts, and prices for a majority of prints being sold, re-sold, drops (like they have for action figures, comic books, sports & non-sports cards, thing will return to semi-normal. Now, there will always be certain prints that will command premium prices. However, it's bound to fall. When people start framing less and less, there will be a price drop. Till then, stop framing, wait it out. No rule says you have to frame.
mattkardish
Art Expert

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:31 pm

needs more exclamation points and question marks
fredo
Art God

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Lotta framers moving to Malibu lately I heard.
just a foil for me today, thanks
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Chris217h wrote:I guess all of you art fans think the matting should be more expensive than the actual art itself. Guess I'll just buy extra limited edition prints and sell them for jacked up prices and get the frame for free lol
Now you're on to something.

And don't think of it as a print and a frame job. Think of it as a completed work of art that you will be able to hang and appreciate in your home for years, and when done properly, decades to come.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:40 pm

sweet thread bro.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
dodgers77
Art Expert

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:07 am

earlgreytoast wrote:
Chris217h wrote:I guess all of you art fans think the matting should be more expensive than the actual art itself. Guess I'll just buy extra limited edition prints and sell them for jacked up prices and get the frame for free lol
Now you're on to something.

And don't think of it as a print and a frame job. Think of it as a completed work of art that you will be able to hang and appreciate in your home for years, and when done properly, decades to come.

:lol:
CS1987
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:52 am

Is there much difference in quality with UV plexi compared to Masterpiece glass at Michaels? I've framed a few posters with the Masterpiece glass, but I also haven't been using mattes, in order to cut down on the costs. So if the print is 24x36, so is the frame. Does anyone else do this? I wish it didn't cost so much to get a large size frame, and piece of glass.
666ways2love
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:26 am

CS1987 wrote:Is there much difference in quality with UV plexi compared to Masterpiece glass at Michaels? I've framed a few posters with the Masterpiece glass, but I also haven't been using mattes, in order to cut down on the costs. So if the print is 24x36, so is the frame. Does anyone else do this? I wish it didn't cost so much to get a large size frame, and piece of glass.
Quality wise, you really can't tell the difference between MPG and MPA. If there is, it's splitting hairs.

On larger framed work, it's ideal to go MPA because the weight of the glass. Also, if god forbid, the print falls falls off the wall, glass will shatter and shards can damage the print. MPA breaks like a car window, so it stays together.
Rahjoe42
New User

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 am

But not expensive than iPhone 8
Goldenslot
fitz
Art Expert

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:30 am

ONEYE wrote:Framers, producers of mats, fillets, liners, and frames all want a piece of the action. They saw the boom in the print market, saw the prices that some of the flippers were getting, and have been raising prices ever since. Once this collectible genre's bubble bursts, and prices for a majority of prints being sold, re-sold, drops (like they have for action figures, comic books, sports & non-sports cards, thing will return to semi-normal. Now, there will always be certain prints that will command premium prices. However, it's bound to fall. When people start framing less and less, there will be a price drop. Till then, stop framing, wait it out. No rule says you have to frame.
key comics have never sold for more than they do nowadays