Tinku

General art-related discussion.
Tinku

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi everyone! It is a pleasure to be here.

I have been a member of this forum since 2015. However, I never really understood its structure. Last year I had the pleasure to meet @treweman in Mexico, and he told me I should join and explained some of the basics to me, so I guess it is time to start exploring this space, to get to know this community and to share some of my work with you. I apologize in advance if this topic is in the wrong section (please feel free to move it).

I am Guatemalan, but I'm currently based in Buenos Aires (March/July and Sept./Dec.) and Mexico City (Dec./March and July/Sept.). Feel free to contact me if you are around.

I started making stencils around five years ago. Here are some images of my work (you can find more on http://www.eltinku.com and on my Instagram account: el_tinku). I will post some images of the processes in the comments.

All my works are handcut (the latest taking up to 4 months - 1000 hours to cut) and based on photographs taken by my father. We work collaboratively; therefore I often sign my works as Tinku · 360º.

Tributo (Winner - Stencil Art Prize 2016)
Handcut stencils, aerosol and acrylic paint on canvas.
105 x 85 cm (41.3" x 33.5")
Tinku, 2016

In Guatemala:

*I tried to put emphasis on the parallelisms between the Virgin that was already pasted on the door and the woman I portrayed.

Retorno (Highly Commended - Stencil Art Prize 2015)
Aerosol and acrylic paint on canvas.
148 x 98 cm
Tinku, 2015

"Retorno" is the portrait of a Mam woman met by my father in Guatemala, after her return from a long asylum in Mexico. Her face tells a story that goes beyond this grandmother's individual participation and survival during the Guatemalan Civil War; it tells the story of a people and its heroic resistance against oppression, exploitation, marginalization and discrimination. Because they were, we are.

Outdoors (Buenos Aires, Argentina):

*The filter used by the user who uploaded the picture flattens the image a bit and distorts the colours.

La Espera (Highly Commended - Stencil Art Prize 2014)
Handcut stencils, aerosol and acrylic paint on canvas.
150 x 150 cm
Tinku, 2014

Video shot by La Marmota Azul in Mexico City

"La Espera", which in Spanish means “The wait”, is the portrait of an old rom man met by my father in the post-war Bosnia-Herzegovina. He had survived the Second World War, passing through a Nazi concentration camp, and the Siege of Sarajevo, during the Yugoslav war. When my father met him, he was waiting for his first WWII reparation payment, made by the German government more than 50 years after the conflict ended.

I painted this mural in a XIX century building, that was about to be demolished to build a shopping mall. The last tenants, who were born there and had lived in the building for more than 70 years, were being thrown out by the new owners.

Rom boy from Bosnia-Herzegovina (Untitled)
Acrylic paint and aerosol on found object.
63 x 44.5 x 1.5 cm
Tinku, 2014

I got caught by the Buenos Aires police while painting this outdoors, so this is the only version of this piece.

Dalit
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Rom boy from Bosnia-Herzegovina (Untitled)
Tinku, 2013

Girl from Soweto (Untitled) (homage to Madiba)
Two-layer stencil.
Tinku, 2013

Guatemala:

You can find some older works and collaborations on my page: http://www.eltinku.com
Tinku

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:31 am

I want to say sorry in advance if I cannot answer any comments right away (I will have to do it via PM). This was my first post and it took 10 days to get it approved and published (which made it appear on the second page from the start).

I will continue to post updates here, nevertheless.
mtl325
Art Enthusiast

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:12 pm

Very awesome.. almost unbelievable to get that level of photorealistic detail from stencil work.

Haven't read your Facebook link, but are any of your pieces available?
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Amazing work, man! Thank you for sharing it here.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:28 am

Great work!
treweman
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 am

Very, very pleased to see you here, Tinku. Thought I would share a photo of Retorno in situ in my office.

earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:50 am

Great work and wonderful to see Guatemala represented! :clap:
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Cragars
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Like this stuff :clap:
frykitty
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Very cool stuff... I look forward to seeing more.
ImageImageImage
alittle
Art Freak

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Love your work, Tinku. Glad to see you here.
nevadinova
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Fantastic. Love when new stuff is shared. Would really enjoy seeing these in person. Welcome to ebeans!
Tinku

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome. It is good to meet new people and to see a couple of familiar faces here.

Here are some sneak peeks from the new stencil I am cutting (still some months left of work):

Layer 1/4:

Layer 2/4:

And from something I've been working on for a couple of years, and is about to be ready:

Tinku

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Soweto

Main edition of 7 + 1/1

This path started more than three years ago. The goal: to use stencils to explore further possibilities, dimensions, ways of looking.
Stencils, wood, light: depth.

Coming soon.

MiaParkes
New User

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:53 am

Tinku wrote:Hi everyone! It is a pleasure to be here.

I have been a member of this forum since 2015. However, I never really understood its structure. Last year I had the pleasure to meet @treweman in Mexico, and he told me I should join and explained some of the basics to me, so I guess it is time to start exploring this space, to get to know this community and to share some of my work with you. I apologize in advance if this topic is in the wrong section (please feel free to move it).

I am Guatemalan, but I'm currently based in Buenos Aires (March/July and Sept./Dec.) and Mexico City (Dec./March and July/Sept.). Feel free to contact me if you are around.

I started making stencils around five years ago. Here are some images of my work (you can find more on http://www.eltinku.com and on my Instagram account: el_tinku). I will post some images of the processes in the comments.

All my works are handcut (the latest taking up to 4 months - 1000 hours to cut) and based on photographs taken by my father. We work collaboratively; therefore I often sign my works as Tinku · 360º.

Frankly speaking, your images are amazing. There is a lot of different emotions here, I mean real life with good and bad moments...
Tinku

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Soweto

This is the portrait of a girl photographed by my father on the 11th of September 2001 in Soweto, South Africa.
Soweto was built on the outskirts of Johannesburg to relocate the black population, displaced from areas destined exclusively for whites by the Apartheid regime.
In June 1976, close to 20000 black students from Soweto took to the streets to protest against the imposition of Afrikaans (Germanic language which represented White political power and domination, in particular the Apartheid regime) as the official language of instruction in schools. The protesters were repressed by State Forces and hundreds of students were killed.
The legacy of the Group Areas Act and Bantu Education still haunt South Africa and Soweto is today, as in the past, a symbol of the struggle against racism, oppression, exploitation and marginalization.

Main edition of 7

70 x 60 x 8 cm (27.5 x 23.6 x 3.1 inches)
Three-dimensional stencil on lightbox.
Caoba wood, handpainted stencil cutouts (cut on MDF), aerosol, aluminum, electric and lighting materials.

Tinku, 2017
With the support of 360° and Cune.

*Instead of using the stencil layers to paint Soweto, the cutouts themselves make the image. Due to the way they are painted and located, the portrait reveals itself when the layers are lit. The distance between them makes the appearance vary when the angle from which Soweto is seen changes, producing a dynamic three-dimensional feeling.