All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
PJCoug
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Vorpel wrote:I've been skimming through this thread and now I'm so damn hungry!

I've got a pellet smoker (RecTec) - are smoke tubes worth getting? I usually do a pork butt at 225 for 12-13 hours and I get a good smoke ring but I'm wondering if I am missing out on infusing more flavor.

Thanks!
I also have a RecTec (bought the Kitchen Sink Bundle), which included the smoke tube. I haven't felt the need to use the smoke tube, and still have it in it's box. Instead of using the smoke tube, I've just use the Xtreme Smoke feature on the grill, and everything has turned out great so far. If you feel like experimenting with the smoke tube, go for it. But personally, I don't think that they're necessary on the RecTec.
shoeless
Art Expert

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:44 pm

wottagunn wrote:Ill share photos of every step! drymount I cant wait to try it!
the anticipation.......it's real.
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:38 am

PJCoug wrote:
Vorpel wrote:I've been skimming through this thread and now I'm so damn hungry!

I've got a pellet smoker (RecTec) - are smoke tubes worth getting? I usually do a pork butt at 225 for 12-13 hours and I get a good smoke ring but I'm wondering if I am missing out on infusing more flavor.

Thanks!
I also have a RecTec (bought the Kitchen Sink Bundle), which included the smoke tube. I haven't felt the need to use the smoke tube, and still have it in it's box. Instead of using the smoke tube, I've just use the Xtreme Smoke feature on the grill, and everything has turned out great so far. If you feel like experimenting with the smoke tube, go for it. But personally, I don't think that they're necessary on the RecTec.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply - love my smoker! I'll give it a try next time just to see how it does.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Alright, here’s the turkey. First time ever cooking a turkey and first time ever eating a whole turkey (its not a common meat here, usually store bought breast is purchased as opposed to the full bird). But who cares. This thing turned out AMAZING!! It doesn’t look like much but it tasted like nothing ive ever had before. It was tender, juicy, slightly salty, and insanely good when dipped in that butter.

I followed Aaron Franklin’s recipe, but halved the amount of salt and sugar for the brine. I read online that people often pat dry the brine before doing the rub, or else the bird turns out too salty. So I used only 1 cup of kosher salt. Soaked the bird in the brine for about 36 hours, then made a rub of half/half salt and 16 mesh black pepper.

Got the smoker temp to a steady 350 for about an hour before putting in the turkey and water pan. At first I had used too much lump charcoal (pictured) and them temp would not dip below 400. It’s high quality stuff I use that is supposed to burn hot, so at least now I know for next time. I took out half of the charcoal after adding the chimney’s worth. The temp steadied between 300-350 for the entire 3.5 hours. I had to add some extra hickory for the last 30 mins because I wanted to ensure the birds temp was at the safe 165.

About 1.5-2 hours in, I took the bird off and temp’d it. Was at 135. I then put it in the foil pan, added a pound of butter, and wrapped it in foil. Put it back in the smoker for another 90 mins, at which point it was cooked perfectly.

This was a very successful cook for me! Everything went to plan. The fire held steady and the meat was cooked perfectly.

shoeless
Art Expert

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:03 pm

:drool:

Glad it worked out for ya. I need to try a turkey now.
zefarrett
Art Freak

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:56 pm

Currently in line for franklin BBQ. I'm pretty sure they are going to run out of things but I ain't got fudge else to do. Hoping to get a little goodness!
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
RadRacing
Art Expert

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Vorpel wrote:I've got a pellet smoker (RecTec) - are smoke tubes worth getting? I usually do a pork butt at 225 for 12-13 hours and I get a good smoke ring but I'm wondering if I am missing out on infusing more flavor.

Thanks!
I'm by no means an expert (been smoking for about 6 years), I had never heard of a smoke tube, had to look it up. Interesting.

Unless your smoker doesn't give off much smoke (which doesn't sound like the case), I don't know how a smoke tube could add any more flavour than you are already getting. In my experience, even when smoking something for 12 hours it absorbs most (if not all) of the smoke flavour in the first 1-5 hours. I don't even add any more wood after the first few hours.

I do use an injector/syringe, which helps add flavour.

If others have used a smoke tube and liked it I'd like to hear some reviews.
dero316
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Just catching up on this thread, good stuff!

I have both a sidebox smoker and a Masterbuilt electric, but only use the sidebox smoker for fish recently. The convenience of the Masterbuilt is tough to beat. The smoke was a little light until I added the cold smoker attachment last year and now I get a great bark and ring. Mostly butts/ribs/chicken with the occasional armadillo egg, fatty, jalapeno/habanero popper and every few weeks I'll fill it with peppers for hot sauce.
I'm going on year 5 with the Masterbuilt and my brother along with a few friends have the same one with good results. Again, I really recommend the cold smoker attachment if you have or want one of these smokers.
kansasbbq
Art God

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:47 pm

zefarrett wrote:Currently in line for franklin BBQ. I'm pretty sure they are going to run out of things but I ain't got fudge else to do. Hoping to get a little goodness!
Any luck?
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
zefarrett
Art Freak

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:57 pm

kansasbbq wrote:
zefarrett wrote:Currently in line for franklin BBQ. I'm pretty sure they are going to run out of things but I ain't got fudge else to do. Hoping to get a little goodness!
Any luck?
Waited an hour and a half. Got the last of the ribs as well as some brisket, pulled pork, and turkey. I was surprised at how ridiculous the turkey was. Would have never guessed that as BBQ turkey isn't big in Maryland. So worth the wait!
me owwww
bryndavies
Art Expert

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:59 pm

That brisket is supposed to make you see Jesus.
ImageT.K.C.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:00 pm

I would have gotten out of line and gone to Valentina's. My eyes were opened to it's wonders last time I was in Austin
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
cotis
Art Expert

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:08 pm

jmagee87 wrote:I would have gotten out of line and gone to Valentina's. My eyes were opened to it's wonders last time I was in Austin
that fudge is way too far
zefarrett
Art Freak

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:11 pm

jmagee87 wrote:I would have gotten out of line and gone to Valentina's. My eyes were opened to it's wonders last time I was in Austin
I looked that up. Way too far considering I don't have a car. I'll probably try to hit up la barbecue at some point.

Bryn, I don't know about that, but I'd do weird dirty fudge for more pulled pork. :wink:
me owwww
jmagee87
Art Expert

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 pm

cotis wrote:
that fudge is way too far
Drive 30 minutes or sit in line for hours?
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.