Print yellowing along outside border

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
gwelymernans
Art Enthusiast

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:40 pm

I took apart a framed print I have - it was in a basic Michael's frame with stock plexi and acid free foam board backing but no mat or spacers. I took it apart to add spacers and a dust cover. There appears to be yellowing along the outside border of the print (see pictures).

I'm assuming this yellowing isn't due to UV considering it is along the border of the print which would be covered by the front of the rabbet. But is it just UV?

It didn't have a dust cover before and was on a wooden shelf leaned up against an old brick wall. Could something have been seeping in from the back along the edges of the foam board? Is the frame leaking acid?

How do I prevent further yellowing?

mtarail
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Given the location of the yellowing, I'd agree with your guess that some chemical in the rabbet portion of the frame caused the discoloration. Either that, or Michael's didn't really sell you an acid free backing board, and acid from the board seeped through the print at the contact point with the rabbet.

Assuming that's right, you should be able to prevent further yellowing with spacers and acid free backing board. Based on your post, you really want to preserve this print. If that's the case, you might also want to think about a glass or plexi with UV when you're reframing.
Last edited by mtarail on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Use acid free spacers. The print should never be without it or an acid free mat when framed.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:15 pm

all that really needs to be stated, is the word "Michaels" :lol: :hanging:
gwelymernans
Art Enthusiast

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks for all the responses. The foam board is definitely acid free - I got it from a local art supply store. Also it shows no signs of yellowing.

I do plan on getting some better glass, but in the meantime wanted to at least put in the spacers (which are acid free) and add the dust cover.

Should I get some frame lining tape? I sometimes re-purpose frames from Goodwill or thrift stores, so maybe frame lining tape is a good investment for these potentially acidic frames?

Thanks again for the help!
CHR1S
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Was this in a wooden frame? My guess is the wood used to make the frame was treated with something (non-archival) and the outer edges of the paper were in contact with the frame.
haven
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Or is the exposed part of the print faded and the outside border, the part covered by the frame, the original color of the paper?
gwelymernans
Art Enthusiast

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:08 am

CHR1S wrote:Was this in a wooden frame? My guess is the wood used to make the frame was treated with something (non-archival) and the outer edges of the paper were in contact with the frame.
The frame is the default/cliche michael's frame. I guess it is mdf or some kind of composite?
CHR1S
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:10 pm

If it's MDF then that's your answer. MDF is highly acidic.
gwelymernans
Art Enthusiast

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Frame lining tape along the inside of the rabbet (so between the frame and the print) will solve this issue if it is indeed the frame itself that's acidic?
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Not sure id gamble like thst
acid might penetrate
gwelymernans
Art Enthusiast

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Grateful69Phish wrote:Not sure id gamble like thst
acid might penetrate
Sorry, I meant frame sealing tape. From the description here: http://www.dickblick.com/products/linec ... ling-tape/ -
The layer of aluminum provides a barrier that stops acid migration and meets the standard for maximum preservation framing.
Also provides an effective barrier for the rabbets of wooden frames.
Is this not what I need?