Thoughts on selling prints "New in Unopened Box"?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
bdragule
New User

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:29 pm

I am entirely new to art collecting and reselling, but I've managed to acquire a STAR WARS: Red Five by Mike Mitchell print from Mondo last year that I've never removed from the shipping box. I'd like to eventually resell it, however I'd like to know if it's to my advantage to sell it in it's original unopened box. On the one hand, I can see how opening the item to get the print number and just to give everything a once over might be useful, on the other hand leaving it in the original box guarantees to the buyer that it's in mint quality.

Is this something that's commonly done? What are your thoughts? Thanks for the input! :notworthy:
mattkardish
Art Expert

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:20 am

With this specific case since the print is laid flat and the cost isn't that much, I'd say it's fine. But real pictures that are provided generally help one's listing (I.e. eBay because people don't like seeing stock photos)

If the print is higher in value then generally it's good to have pics avail. All depends on trust level/pricing/what your buyer wants
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:36 am

Once over. Always. An unopened box may seem like it's a better deal, but without checking the print for damage or imperfections (while rare, it definitely happens), you're taking a gamble on an appeal (the MIB mentality) that is miniscule to nonexistent in this particular hobby.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:01 am

jkw3000 wrote:Once over. Always. check the print for damage or imperfections
this
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!