New Castro / David O Daniel Prints up!

General art-related discussion.
pearlybaker
Flipper

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:37 pm

tweetick wrote:His old bigcartel store is now closed. I'm beginning to think I'll never get my Dr. Strangelove on wood. :P
That's recent as I was on it two weeks ago. What a shame.
All right Hamilton!
jonkino
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:39 pm

I never got my Dr Strangelove either - even though it was paid for. shame about that. Such a waste of telent!! Hope he is ok though regardless.
cro225
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:19 pm

David O'Daniel and Ron Donovan can suck a fat one. Hate thieves.
wneff
Art Expert

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:08 pm

dinkydoggy
Art Expert

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:34 am

jonkino wrote:I never got my Dr Strangelove either - even though it was paid for. shame about that. Such a waste of telent!! Hope he is ok though regardless.
Was it the one on paper or wood? I guess I got really lucky because he sent out the wood Strangelove and his Clockwork Orange print, within 2 weeks of me ordering them. Mind you, this was well over a year ago. Hope he's alright.
Jesusmalverde
Art Expert

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:40 am

Ordering from this guy is like buying a door to door subscription from some guys that claim they're from some youth group that is keeping kids out of gangs and actually thinking your gonna get that in the mail.
RiotAct
EB Team

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:01 pm

waidai
Art Enthusiast

Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:21 am

Anything new to report on David? He seems to have disappeared completely.
1000steps
Art Expert

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:38 pm

It's too bad. He fizzled right before the cinema poster scene blew up.
Welcome to the sleaze pit
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Does anyone have any info on what happened to this guy? I thought he had said somewhere that he had learned his craft from working with Sperry and Hunter before moving to the midwest. I could be wrong. It was years ago. I dug his style.
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:56 pm

About a year ago I stopped in at the dking gallery in Berkeley, Ca and asked Dennis King about O'Daniel's whereabouts but unfortunately he didn't know. Dennis mentioned he helped kick start his career by commissioning the Castro Citizen Kane print back in '09, which he has hanging in his store above the counter.

In the end there O'Daniel was selling work from Cleveland, OH when the business starting falling apart perhaps due to a family crisis. Was it Australia he was originally from? Perhaps he landed back there.

Regardless I think his work is exceptional and holds up well.
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:06 pm

fallstaff wrote:About a year ago I stopped in at the dking gallery in Berkeley, Ca and asked Dennis King about O'Daniel's whereabouts but unfortunately he didn't know. Dennis mentioned he helped kick start his career by commissioning the Castro Citizen Kane print back in '09, which he has hanging in his store above the counter.

In the end there O'Daniel was selling work from Cleveland, OH when the business starting falling apart perhaps due to a family crisis. Was it Australia he was originally from? Perhaps he landed back there.

Thanks for the information. I believe he is Australian. I recall the face in his Dark Knight poster was sourced from a funhouse in Australia. I would have thought the folks at D.King or other East Bay artists would have the best info on his story. It's a shame.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:09 pm

tweetick wrote:
fallstaff wrote:About a year ago I stopped in at the dking gallery in Berkeley, Ca and asked Dennis King about O'Daniel's whereabouts but unfortunately he didn't know. Dennis mentioned he helped kick start his career by commissioning the Castro Citizen Kane print back in '09, which he has hanging in his store above the counter.

Thanks for the information. I believe he is Australian. I recall the face in his Dark Knight poster was sourced from a funhouse in Australia. I would have thought the folks at D.King or other East Bay artists would have the best info on his story. It's a shame.
He is indeed. I remember bitching with him about missing decent coffee. 8)

Luna Park Melbourne was the inspiration for the jester face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
ricv64
Art Expert

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:47 am

tweetick wrote:Does anyone have any info on what happened to this guy? I thought he had said somewhere that he had learned his craft from working with Sperry and Hunter before moving to the midwest. I could be wrong. It was years ago. I dug his style.

It was Ron Donovan, Firehouse, who taught him . His first poster was a PJ Harvey Paradiso is how I remember it . He moved to Ohio but then broke up with his girlfriend . He was my bud but I haven't heard from him in years
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
1000steps
Art Expert

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:02 pm

ricv64 wrote:It was Ron Donovan who taught him customer service.
ftfy
Welcome to the sleaze pit