Fleet Foxes Minneapolis 08 Florafauna

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:27 am

This topic is dedicated to: Fleet Foxes Minneapolis 08 Florafauna

DavidaLoca
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:28 am

Oh man... hands down one of the most controversial posters ever on Gigposters.com... tch screw that, probably ever printed.

http://www.gigposters.com/comments/1000 ... onies.html
Last edited by DavidaLoca on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
carcrash wrote:Guns + Pop Culture Icons = Street Art. Duh.
boatingbenny wrote:
dmbfan41 wrote:If you spend a thousand + on a Obama poster something is wrong
If you spend $1 on a DMB show...something is really wrong!
mistersmith
Art Freak

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:38 am

db23
Art Expert

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:44 am

i still do not get the big deal about this. originally i thought the artist used one of the images in Smith's post above. after seeing his poster and the one in Smith's i was like "big f'ing deal." i skimmed the gigposters comments and agree that the artist could've drawn the shapes differently but i lost total interest halfway through and went to sleep.
StatusDesign
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:01 am

The fact that he just basically traced the shapes and flipped it upside down shows tons of laziness, lack of respect for the other artist, and downright lameness. Thats why a bunch of peeps were pissed
ricv64
Art Expert

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 am

" I made this " plus his history on GP was what caused that
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
samverrill
Art Expert

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:22 am

Yea, I actually think Paul is a pretty talented designer (I'm using designer instead of artist to deal with the whole "I Made This" business). But his GP and internet persona does him zero favors. Why he feels the need to pick fights, and then make ridiculous excuses I'll never understand.
Great art for an important cause: http://screensnspokes.org
db23
Art Expert

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:26 am

StatusDesign wrote:The fact that he just basically traced the shapes and flipped it upside down shows tons of laziness, lack of respect for the other artist, and downright lameness. Thats why a bunch of peeps were pissed
i think the fact that the artist was passing it off as his own and then fighting with others was the big deal. i'm not gonna make a big deal about it because i don't know the artists involved nor do i have any personal interest in either pieces but Fairey and Kozik are two of my favorites and were never the most original. just sayin'.
hillsj2001
Art Expert

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:32 am

i can't believe i read through almost all of that over on GP...my head hurts
tajmccall
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:08 pm

I made this post.
For your health.
DavidaLoca
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:10 pm

db23 wrote:
StatusDesign wrote:The fact that he just basically traced the shapes and flipped it upside down shows tons of laziness, lack of respect for the other artist, and downright lameness. Thats why a bunch of peeps were pissed
i think the fact that the artist was passing it off as his own and then fighting with others was the big deal. i'm not gonna make a big deal about it because i don't know the artists involved nor do i have any personal interest in either pieces but Fairey and Kozik are two of my favorites and were never the most original. just sayin'.
But the difference between Kozik and Fairey is that they never claimed to have created something on their own. Paul on the other hand argued that "I made it" and created all of the artwork himself. So yeah, you can borrow clip art, or take someone elses ideas but at least credit them when it's due.

Oh and when the original artist Andrew Holder found out about it, Paul didn't really do squat when apologizing to him about taking his art other than saying something like "I'm sorry if you feel like I stole your art." What kind of crap is that honestly?
carcrash wrote:Guns + Pop Culture Icons = Street Art. Duh.
boatingbenny wrote:
dmbfan41 wrote:If you spend a thousand + on a Obama poster something is wrong
If you spend $1 on a DMB show...something is really wrong!
mistersmith
Art Freak

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:38 pm

I only put up the pic to save 5 responses going "what's so controversial?"

I think the first part of the GP argument was, "if something is old, tired, worn-out, nobody will miss it, go ahead and use it." Like '50s advertising and stuff. What happened here was a very recent print from a respected artist got completely aped.

I think the second part was, "if you're gonna use work like it was clip-art, then be an artist about it. Bring something new to the table." This poster took a bigass rock in the sky and created...a bigass rock in the sky.

Third was an argument about making art vs. plagiarizing. The designer of this poster said "I made it" like a dozen times, implying the work was all his, at one point he was saying only that in his repsonses, but eventually clarified with "if I didn't exist neither would this poster." Which doesn't mean a whole lot.

Apparently he has a bad rep on GP, I have no idea about that. Guess I don't read GP enough, which is probably good.

If anyone is unclear about what I'm talking about above, maybe you should first go talk to your Friendly Local Gigposter Artist. Failing that, here's an example of what can be done when a talented designer chooses to work with source material:

EB for that poster:

db23
Art Expert

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:54 pm

tajmccall wrote:I made this post.
you better give credit where credit is due. someone wrote that same post on 2/17/08. THIEF!

Smith and Davidaloca, very good explanations. I get it and I read that, I just didn't care. I know what the artist did was wrong and the fact that he was passing it off as his own was the major crime in my book. Re-using the image didn't faze me at all and i'm sure i'm in the minority but i also feel like i'm one of the few who think most gigposters should be used to just promote the concert they're made for. fudge, a piece of paper that lists band, date, time, venue is what i see for most of these. sure there are some images/artists that we collect and pay for but people seem to forget that these posters should be used to promote instead of profit.
marcabrunswick
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:28 pm

Just now starting to read about this controversy and don't 100% follow. Just know its a shame because this is one helluva a band- I hope nobody judges them by this. Worth a listen.
mcnail
Art Expert

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:09 pm

The band had 0 to do with the poster, that I can guarantee.

As far as the controversy, it's just kind weird that he aped something off a current artist. That is what makes it kind of awkward.