Roll Bend Help

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
lujborg
Art Expert

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:14 pm

i would take it out of the frame and put it between 2 sheets of glassine. then i'd use a spray bottle to very slightly moisten one side each of 2 pieces of foamcore. then i'd sandwich the 2 sheets of glassine and the print between the slightly moist sides of the 2 pieces of foamcore and apply some weight. letting the print hang out for a while in that slightly moist environment should lessen the visibility of that roll bend. i have tried this before with prints that i didn't care about and the results were quite good. the roll bends didn't disappear completely but they were definitely softened quite a bit.

alternatively, you could try reverse rolling it around a tube with an emphasis on that area.
I'm here for the oil palm breeding (international society member, since 2003)
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:55 pm

Mocktm wrote:
Cragars wrote:
Mocktm wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Might not fit in that frame anymore after the "procedure" is done.
Don't think it should affect it that much. You heard of similar situations?
Dimensions can increase slightly after it's flattened. Maybe it will fare better than Mondo posters and their shitty stock though.

Search this sub-forum for PM and there are a few posts on it.
Thanks! I've been reading up on it and John has said the dimensions might slightly change. Hoping it'll still fit in frame or I guess I'll have to figure something out with my framer...Really don't want to drop another $150 on a re-frame...
The print will end up 1/8" to 1/4" longer or wider. I've had PM work on some old prints with noticible creases and all have grown so strike the word "might" from your previous post. It affects the value. With that said, I'm happy with the results and have no regrets. If I can find before and after pics I will post.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Mocktm
Art Enthusiast

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Hmmm ok. Couldn't I just have it trimmed to its original size after?
SCREENS N SUDS STORE - BUY SOME ART, HELP AN AWESOME CAUSE!!
http://screensnsuds.storenvy.com/
alittle
Art Freak

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:35 pm

You could also try ironing it.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Mocktm wrote:Hmmm ok. Couldn't I just have it trimmed to its original size after?
Yes
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:52 pm

Don't forget to list it as "stone cold minty phresh!"
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Mocktm
Art Enthusiast

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:59 pm

Codeblue wrote:Don't forget to list it as "stone cold minty phresh!"
HAHA, I have no intentions of selling it. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to bring it back without spending a fortune or further effing it up.
Mocktm
Art Enthusiast

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:42 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Cragars wrote:
Mocktm wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Might not fit in that frame anymore after the "procedure" is done.
Thanks! I've been reading up on it and John has said the dimensions might slightly change. Hoping it'll still fit in frame or I guess I'll have to figure something out with my framer...Really don't want to drop another $150 on a re-frame...
The print will end up 1/8" to 1/4" longer or wider. I've had PM work on some old prints with noticible creases and all have grown so strike the word "might" from your previous post. It affects the value. With that said, I'm happy with the results and have no regrets. If I can find before and after pics I will post.

Pics would be awesome if you have. Cheers
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:35 pm

I had Poster Mountain flatten a creased Petrol Bomb I'd famed previously. The flattened print remained the exact same size as original, and slid precisely back into lineco mounts that had previously held it. Here's a pic from the framed banksy thread -- this is the flattened print (the one on the right, of course) fitting perfectly back into its original frame. No change in dimension at all.

Even if there is a 1/8"-1/4" change in dimension, it would only mean your mat covers an extra 1/16"-1/8" of each edge. If you didn't use a mat, your framer should've still left 1/8" space or so to accommodate elemental expansion, so there's a good chance it should still fit. In either scenario, most likely the only change you'd have to make is to change your mounts. But again, in my case there was no change in dimension all. Either way, though, Poster Mountain's work is totally worth it. Ask John if he can work to keep the original dimensions, he may be able to accommodate you.

jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Lucky bastard. Given the choice between the visible damage and a slightly larger print it was a no brainer for me. Either way it is worth less so I might as well have something I enjoy more.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Mocktm
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:43 am

misterwhisper wrote:I had Poster Mountain flatten a creased Petrol Bomb I'd famed previously. The flattened print remained the exact same size as original, and slid precisely back into lineco mounts that had previously held it. Here's a pic from the framed banksy thread -- this is the flattened print (the one on the right, of course) fitting perfectly back into its original frame. No change in dimension at all.

Even if there is a 1/8"-1/4" change in dimension, it would only mean your mat covers an extra 1/16"-1/8" of each edge. If you didn't use a mat, your framer should've still left 1/8" space or so to accommodate elemental expansion, so there's a good chance it should still fit. In either scenario, most likely the only change you'd have to make is to change your mounts. But again, in my case there was no change in dimension all. Either way, though, Poster Mountain's work is totally worth it. Ask John if he can work to keep the original dimensions, he may be able to accommodate you.

Thanks man, super helpful! I'll drop John a note to see what he can do. Hoping for the best. Awesome prints by the way!
printingframer
New User

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:46 am

If your frame was made with the "standard allowance" it will most likely fit back in your frame without any issues.
Mocktm
Art Enthusiast

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Here is after Poster Mountain treatment. Couldn't be happier! Big thanks to John and his team. Extremely prompt and professional!

IMG_0512.jpg
Last edited by Mocktm on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Looks great Mocktm! Huge improvement over the "before" picks. Did Sperry print that on regular paper or foil?
Mocktm
Art Enthusiast

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:24 pm

misterwhisper wrote:Looks great Mocktm! Huge improvement over the "before" picks. Did Sperry print that on regular paper or foil?
It's just regular paper. One of my favorites.